41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Come on guys, english isn't that hard.
If you listen to the rebirth of an icon episodes, every time they refer to a single car it's referred as 'an RS'.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
It's all about the "sound" of the next letter. If it makes a vowel sound it is AN. If it makes a consonant sound it is A.

"I killed a Horse. It took half an hour to do it." Same letter(H) different sound.

It's an RS.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's all about the "sound" of the next letter. If it makes a vowel sound it is AN. If it makes a consonant sound it is A.

"I killed a Horse. It took half an hour to do it." Same letter(H) different sound.

It's an RS.
What the hell were you doing with that horse for 30 minutes you twisted ****?!!!

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
I still stand by the "A rallye sport" and since RS is short for rallye sport its still "a RS" since you should be thinking "rallye sport" when you see "RS".

·
Registered
1,551 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
OK. Leave it at this: Both are right. If you use "a RS" you read it as "a rallye sport", while if you use "an RS" you read it as "an are-es".
If you want to go around literally saying/typing "I'm ordering a Rallye Sport" to which no one, except maybe us, will know what you're talking about, that's your choice lol. If you want to use the acronym then the correct grammar is to use "an". It's based on sound regardless of whether it's written or spoken.

The only way your logic to this would work is if the acronym could be pronounced multiple ways. For example FAQ is sometimes pronounced fack, and sometimes pronounced ef ay que. '"A" FAQ or "an" F.A.Q. Notice the latter starts with a vowel sound. In the case of "RS" there is no alternate. No one calls it an Arse (lol) or a Riss (but if we did, we could call it 'a' riss).

Google "A vs An acronyms". Read any of the results.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I can't believe this thread is still going on.

And I'm contributing to the problem :)

41 - 50 of 50 Posts