Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
..correct! on both accounts:

We were all taught that a precedes a word starting with a consonant and that an precedes a word starting with a vowel (a, e, i, o, u, and sometimes y).

Here’s the secret to making the rule work: The rule applies to the sound of the letter beginning the word, not just the letter itself. The way we say the word will determine whether or not we use a or an. If the word begins with a vowel sound, you must use an. If it begins with a consonant sound, you must use a.

Therefor the correct term is 'an RS'. This is because the letter R at the beginning has an A sounds which is a vowel and 'an' is correctly used before RS.

Got it kids!?
How the hell does a 'R' have an 'A' sound?

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
Often though if letters are an abbreviation for a set of words you use 'a' or 'an' based on the long words of the abbreviation. Since RS stands for "Rallye Sport" "a RS" is correct.

·
Registered
851 Posts
We've already picked out the first songs we'll all be playing...

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I pulled on a tuned mustang In a/an RS yesterday, true story bro

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
We've already picked out the first songs we'll all be playing...
I'm just waiting for a "What color shirt are you going to wear when you pickup your RS?" or maybe "Jeans or shorts?"

·
Registered
851 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I may have to pick mine up in a snowsuit

·
Registered
235 Posts
The past few days, all I've been reading is referring to an RS as 'a RS'. I'm pretty sure it's 'an RS'.

What car do you have? I have an RS.

vs

What car do you have? I have a RS.

Which is more correct?
Some one needs to go back to school. If it starts with an A, E, I, O, U, it is an an. It's not how the word is pronounced it's how its spelt. A good example is Helicopter, a lot of people drop the H when they pronounce it, so say an 'elicopter. but it is still a helicopter. The again, as a British ex-pat, I know 'mericans can't speak proper English anyhow. :eek: :p

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Some one needs to go back to school. If it starts with an A, E, I, O, U, it is an an. It's not how the word is pronounced it's how its spelt. A good example is Helicopter, a lot of people drop the H when they pronounce it, so say an 'elicopter. but it is still a helicopter. The again, as a British ex-pat, I know 'mericans can't speak proper English anyhow. :eek: :p
See this posted earlier on this thread :D http://www.focusrs.org/forum/9-focus-rs-discussions/1428-s-not-rs-s-rs.html#post25190

YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

21 - 40 of 50 Posts