Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and nothing new has been released to give us any more information. At least I can't find anything new that's come out since early April. Who else is very frustrated? :mad:

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Same here. I was under the impression the Making of the RS videos will be out soon as well, but it has been a month and nothing. I have been seeing some pics of the RS driving around from the FocusRS 2016 FB page though.

·
Super Moderator
16,280 Posts
Ford needs to let me test one in the humid heat of Eastern NC. Dry heat is not the same as 85% or higher humidity at 95 degrees and a feels like temp of 120+ that we can see here.
The whole entire SE part of the US would give a true test to the FoRS platform given there is no dry heat in this part of the country.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Carlisle, Ford Nationals, RS will be on display, so maybe some more info then.
There better be lol. There are so many things left un answered. It is also getting close to the time where we may start seeing some first drive reviews, and as Ford states this is where the RS will shine so I'm not too interested in estimated performance numbers, just would love to see how it drives.

·
Registered
36 Posts
From that NASIOC thread, the guy who has been driving around in the mule mentioned a few things.

A) The Suspension is STIFF, even in normal mode, which sounds fantastic to me. But let's see what that means for long road trips when combined with Recaro seats.

B) Power delivery is extremely linear, says it actually feels like it makes less power then it really does. Its "deceiving" apparently.

Having been a Subaru guy my whole life, I was always used to a huge lack of low end power followed by a punch in the mid range and then dying up at redline. I actually look forward to driving the FoRS, power everywhere is very nice.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
There better be lol. There are so many things left un answered. It is also getting close to the time where we may start seeing some first drive reviews, and as Ford states this is where the RS will shine so I'm not too interested in estimated performance numbers, just would love to see how it drives.
Doubtful. There isn't anything but mules and one hand built version right now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
From that NASIOC thread, the guy who has been driving around in the mule mentioned a few things.

A) The Suspension is STIFF, even in normal mode, which sounds fantastic to me. But let's see what that means for long road trips when combined with Recaro seats.

B) Power delivery is extremely linear, says it actually feels like it makes less power then it really does. Its "deceiving" apparently.

Having been a Subaru guy my whole life, I was always used to a huge lack of low end power followed by a punch in the mid range and then dying up at redline. I actually look forward to driving the FoRS, power everywhere is very nice.
Linear power delivery is exactly what I want. I dislike exactly what you're describing about the Subaru power delivery, and it's good to hear that Ford is focusing on making the RS feel more like a naturally aspirated car.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
It is good, but remember forced induction vehicles are always a trade off, you want power up top you loose at the bottom. I'm hoping for good response, full spool at around 2300-2500 and the ability not to fall on its face until redline. I am curious to see how the changes made to the turbo will effect the power curve. So far all the Mustang tunes I have seen make amazing TQ but can't hold past 5500. If the RS will be able to keep power good until 6500 I couldn't ask for more considering Fords push on instant response and favoring small turbos.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I don't understand the not fall on it's face until redline part. With the ST you aren't making power beyond the 5K mark, so shift and or keep it there. To me, I don't care if it drops of at 5 but goes to 8K, I'm going to keep it in the power band when driving. I've never had a problem Autocrossing the ST, always in the power band because you are usually in 2nd. As for the track, 4th and 5-6K on the track took me to 120 MPH and that is all there was room for so again, red line wasn't an issue.

Having owned a few Honda's where you had to wring them out to make power, I'd rather have the low end grunt that tapers off then have to wring it out

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I don't understand the not fall on it's face until redline part. With the ST you aren't making power beyond the 5K mark, so shift and or keep it there. To me, I don't care if it drops of at 5 but goes to 8K, I'm going to keep it in the power band when driving. I've never had a problem Autocrossing the ST, always in the power band because you are usually in 2nd. As for the track, 4th and 5-6K on the track took me to 120 MPH and that is all there was room for so again, red line wasn't an issue.

Having owned a few Honda's where you had to wring them out to make power, I'd rather have the low end grunt that tapers off then have to wring it out
There is a difference between being fast and the experience it gives, having things go soft when the engine starts to really sing is a buzz kill. It won't matter on AWD but having huge TQ peak down low causes traction issues big time. Making power up top also helps with TQ multiplication from being in a lower gear. I'm all for drivability in the sweet spot and good response, I just hate seeing an extra 1500 RPMs and having them useless. The ST power drop when tuned is just very very noticeable, I'm just hoping the RS will be different and Fords words of it being exhilarating until redline are true.

I do agree with you about Honda's or really any small N/A engines, they can only pump so much air. I didn't mind my SVT Focus though but it had VCT along with a Variable intake to keep a broad power band even though it wasn't much I could still pull in 6th gear at 35.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I think comparing the ST's 2.0 liter power curve with the dinky little KO3 turbo to the RS' 2.3 liter with bigger turbo is dubious at best. Personally, I like midrange power that stays strong until redline and would gladly sacrifice some of the face ripping low end torque that the ST has. I suspect we'll all have a lot more information as guys continue to mod the 2.3 in the Mustang. This should give us a much better idea of the character the RS might have.

http://www.torquenews.com/106/american-muscles-ecoboost-2015-mustang-runs-low-12s-exhaust-video

1 - 20 of 48 Posts