• Good to go

Votes: 61 95.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm curious, I know we see more often then not "my RS just (insert issue here) and now what should I do with it". I know there is a million different reasons why someones RS failed, stock or not. I just want to see how many people have actually had a bigger or hard broke problem on their RS, VS people who have not. Despite it being your, your tuners, or Fords fault for breaking. Please keep in mind I'm thinking big things like engine pops, trans issues, ECU, BCM crap out etc. Not the damn rattles (I might have the sunroof one to deal with myself) or wipers being dumb. I set up a poll that says it broke or it hasn't. I would love to hear peoples stories on their RS, mods, tunes, built engine, or stock and the why it broke or didn't. As well as if you think it will break, if you want to keep it or sell it before it goes, and trust it to not fail. If you care to share with us all. Please keep in mind this isn't a put (insert name here) on blast because they suck! It is just general story telling because I like to hear everyones story behind their car. Hope this can get some traction as I need something to do while I'm locked down at home!

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
You're going to get a lot of bias towards the car being broken here. That said, my car is "broken" because it has a boost leak and there's oil ruining my Cyl 2 spark plugs and giving me knock.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah im open to it all opinions lol.

I'm sorry to hear that! Are you planning on fixing it and keeping it or is it a Ford warranty issue? Do you mind sharing what happened?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I'm curious as to what you're looking for here. Is it working now? Yes, it drives great. Have I had more problems than I expected? For sure. I've been to the dealer too many times (7 or 8, with 2 additional cancelled appointments) with this car, and half the time I either end up fixing it myself or I need to bring it back for rework.

Broke is subjective. If you clarify your question, perhaps people will answer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your response. I thought I did a decent job explaining what I was asking. I am curious how many people have just had the car and been able to enjoy it VS someone who's had it sitting in the dealership for months or at a shop getting rebuilt. Thats why I clarified major problems VS small annoying things. I just think we always here people complain about them because at that time they want to vent about it. No one goes around posting about how their car has been fun, great, and functional the whole time. I just want to see if this is skewed towards everyone having major issues and just what we see most of the time or if this car genuinely has reliability issues (HG issues removed). I have had the PTU shaft seal leak, and headliner rattle but I think every car has some issues but id still label my RS as a good buy and reliable.

Also on a side note I agree with you on the reworking or just fix it yourself. I guess I have just way to high of expectations for people performing services but its rare I come across someone who will just give a carp about your item and genuinely do a good job at what you're paying them to do. This isn't just with Ford or dealerships either. (rant over)

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Yeah im open to it all opinions lol.

I'm sorry to hear that! Are you planning on fixing it and keeping it or is it a Ford warranty issue? Do you mind sharing what happened?
99% sure it's oil in my catch can lines. I intend to remove the kit now that I have aux fuel and WMI to wash my valves. I'm guessing my boost leak is because the charge pipe is going into the throttle body at an angle due to the rail being in place. I've ordered new hard pipes and an offset coupler to hopefully alleviate this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
99% sure it's oil in my catch can lines. I intend to remove the kit now that I have aux fuel and WMI to wash my valves. I'm guessing my boost leak is because the charge pipe is going into the throttle body at an angle due to the rail being in place. I've ordered new hard pipes and an offset coupler to hopefully alleviate this.

Glad to hear it's nothing crazy like ring gap issues or sever blow by. I hope taking them off is the fix.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My hatch struts are broken on my ‘17 RS, and I’ve only got 12k on the ODO. That’s frustrating.
Dang that sucks! Definitely one of those dumb annoying issues in my opinion. It shouldn't have happened but at least it sounds like an easy fix.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didnt even think of that! I was going to drop my super duty off for a recall, I guess that's not happening At least eventually it will get fixed. Will they just order the parts and give them to you to install yourself?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Still loving it as a spirited daily driver. It's a great platform for modding to achieve balance between functionality, size, weight, and power.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine is “broke” to me, it keeps throwing a too lean code and comes back same day as when I clear it. I’ve narrowed it down to either the high pressure fuel pressure sensor or a bad down pipe gasket. Either way I can’t fix it right now but I’ll get to it eventually.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bone stock with miscellaneous minor warranty issues. Turbo oil line was replaced due to oil leak. Just went in for 36k mile service and noticed additional oil leaking. Currently driving around with dye for the next 1000 miles waiting to find out what's wrong.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bought an 2017 model with 6300 miles on it this past December from a Ford dealer in Knoxville, TN. They assured me the head gasket issue had been resolved and I confirmed this with Ford. About a week after getting it home it threw a code indicating a problem with the catalytic converter. Long story short, the converter was replaced and no problems since. Can’t say enough good things about my local dealer/svc advisor/tech. Top notch.

I love this car and all of it’s quirks. Sometimes, I just go to the garage and sit in it for a while. Other times I’ll take it out for a spin and forget I ever heard of Coronavirus. I’ve owned a lot of sports cars in my life and this ranks way up there. I even autocrossed it once this year before the plug got pulled on the season.

To sum it up, no problems, love the car, plan to keep it.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
My RS is a beast. I built it for autocrossing. It does it very very well. I either drive it to the local autox or trailer it to the more distant events. It has NEVER let me down racing. At (11) races it was the fastest thing at the event. At (3) more events it only got beat by a kart. The only wear item is tires at this point. With less than 6000 miles the brakes have plenty of pad left. I put a spreadsheet together that shows I have 190 hard launches on the stock clutch without issue. I can't say enough good things about this car. The only negative is it sounds like a Kubota tractor at idle, and like ass at WOT with my catless/mufflerless exhaust. Other than that it's badass!

I wouldn't recommend daily driving it in the current configuration because of the aggressive camber. And I work at a chemical plant, so, yeah, not gonna happen. That's what the beater Scion is for.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad to hear most of you are loving the car. I have a blast with it everytime I drive it! i am happy my wife finally broke and let me get it lol.

@Hank your RS build is awesome! I love how detailed you are on everything especially the weight chart you put together. Hope your RS keeps going strong.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Richard, why don't you give us a third option? "Sort Of".

My car runs fine but is at the dealership since yesterday to sort out an oil leak. I am loosing a quart every 5,000km. It look like a leak on either the timing chain or the valve cover. This must certainly related to the head gasket recall. They should get back to me with a diagnosis today. Bottom line, the car is not "Broken" but neither is "Good to Go".

Other than that, I haven't had any major problems with it.

All I need to do now is get some 18" wheels so its not such a pain to DD this thing. Streets an roads are terrible around here (Mexico City).

I really like my RS. I would gladly upgrade to an Audi RS3 or an M2 Compettion if I had disposable cash, but other than these 2, I cant'n think of another car I rather DD.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts