Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was under the car today replacing my under tray with an ADF Customs tray and noticed some oil/residue where the transmission and bell housing connect. It's definitely not a big leak as there was nothing on (what was remaining of) the under tray, but it definitely seems like it should be cleaner than it is. The car is a 2018 with 15k miles and warranty expires in December, so I'd rather have somebody look at this now. Just wondering if I'm being too paranoid and should not worry about it, or if Ford is going to give me a hard time and tell me "they all do that" because oil isn't pouring out of the seal yet.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It doesn't look that bad to me but definitely work having it looked at especially if it is under warranty. Since you had an OEM under tray before noticing it, they tend to soak up little bits of leakage so that may not be the best indicator of how bad it is. Looks too dirty to tell what color it is, so there's no telling if its trans fluid or engine oil. Not try to scare you but could be rear main seal. Monitor your oil levels every week or so to keep an eye on fluid loss. Otherwise, I would have them check it out next oil change.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Probably the gearbox breather or shift tower on the top of the box. It's minor but even a dealer mechanic should be able to sort it without screwing something else up.

Ciao

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
So I was under the car today replacing my under tray with an ADF Customs tray and noticed some oil/residue where the transmission and bell housing connect. It's definitely not a big leak as there was nothing on (what was remaining of) the under tray, but it definitely seems like it should be cleaner than it is. The car is a 2018 with 15k miles and warranty expires in December, so I'd rather have somebody look at this now. Just wondering if I'm being too paranoid and should not worry about it, or if Ford is going to give me a hard time and tell me "they all do that" because oil isn't pouring out of the seal yet.
Take a look at the shift selector tower from the top, right under the intake.

If you see "puddles" of fluid in there, then it's leaking from there. Take it to the dealer and have them reseal that selector housing and don't take the BS excuse that it's "normal" because the breather is there (I took mine to 3 different dealers and got that excuse so I resealed it myself, no more leak! imagine that...)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts