Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No codes. Car has a noticeable jerkiness while driving it. Making a weird sound now in idle, seen in video below. Also, has a weird smell. Anybody know what's going on? I'm guessing I'm gonna have to take it to the ford dealership to get it serviced. I know my exhaust valve spring is broken already but I don't think this is the issue. Exhaust Video

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Thats definitely not a normal mis-fire from a failed ignition event (no spark, coolant...etc)

Yeah, that sounds like a valve is open when the ignition is happening and its not quite closing.

True misfires are usually quieter than regular idle because the ignition event is missing.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
...... a noticeable jerkiness ..... Making a weird sound now........... a weird smell. Anybody know what's going on?
The last time I asked "Is this a misfire?" ............. a daughter and three dogs was the effect of that "misfire"!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Your wife gave birth to a daughter and 3 dogs hey....Wow!

Should call the Guiness Book Of Records, surely she would win something.....?

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Your wife gave birth to a daughter and 3 dogs hey....Wow!

Should call the Guiness Book Of Records, surely she would win something.....?

My love and affection.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
It's dropped a cylinder for some reason. Injector, spark plug, coil over, burned valve. Start with the simplest and cheapest option first.

Ciao

·
Registered
2017 Focus Rs
32 Posts
That sounds very similar to noises I've heard from my car. I wish you the best of luck. Its dog eat dog world out there.

·
Registered
2016 Focus RS
3 Posts
OBDII scan just prior dropping car off indicated Cylinder 4 misfire. P0304 This car was taken to the local dealer, Capitol Ford in San Jose, CA. Engine misfire was only present under load. Compression and leak down tests passed. Service advisor indicated boroscope inspection revealed no valve issues. Diagnosis after call Ford service tech line help led to Fuel Injector #4 was sticking closed causing the issue. Had to wait a week for parts and injector #4 was replaced and car returned. Got new intake manifold gasket and relatives bolts. Picked up the car today thinking the problem was solved. Then about an hour after car returned Check Engine Light comes on again. Now the code is P0204 Injector Circuit / Open Cylinder #4 on my cheapie reader. This car has about 13k miles and in the family since end of January. The saga continues. Dropping car back at dealership tomorrow. Crazy.

Car stil has the powertrain warranty, thank goodness, until Oct 2019.

(I know all this because David RS is a member of the family that I always help with car issues.)

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
#4 injector electrical connector?

Ciao

·
Registered
2016 Focus RS
3 Posts
lucky phil, the electrical connector on injector #4 was the generic title on the OBDII code I pulled via my cheap reader. I wouldn't read too much into it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts