Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not driven any cars in the WRX/GTI/Focus bracket -certainly plan to soon. I have raced Spec Miata and my current beater for the street is a '97 Miata - I consider that a fun car (anemic as it is). Most recent play car for past few years was '07 GT3; enjoyable in a different way but belongs on a track and has no sense of humor. I have concluded that HP and expensive sports cars don't always = BIG fun. I've put my name on an RS wait list but thought I would ask here if others think this RS could be the grin maker I'm looking for? Will a test drive of an ST tell me enough to know?
Thanks,
Over 50 - but still some life left!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
The car has a factory drift mode setting and a design consultant was Ken Block ... honestly I do not think the premise for fun factor (at least on paper) could get any better. I do not own a ST, but I do not think the ST test drive would do the RS justice

I have not driven any cars in the WRX/GTI/Focus bracket -certainly plan to soon. I have raced Spec Miata and my current beater for the street is a '97 Miata - I consider that a fun car (anemic as it is). Most recent play car for past few years was '07 GT3; enjoyable in a different way but belongs on a track and has no sense of humor. I have concluded that HP and expensive sports cars don't always = BIG fun. I've put my name on an RS wait list but thought I would ask here if others think this RS could be the grin maker I'm looking for? Will a test drive of an ST tell me enough to know?
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'd get out and drive a few. Have owned a moderately modded '06 STI, and it was a fun car. Have an '04 VW R32 now, but I guess the chassis is much different on the Golf R. I haven't driven one, but have sat in one. I was a little bummed on the interior, but it seems like damn near all manufacturers now are specing slightly thinner materials, etc.. Some of it to drop weight, but moreso to save $$$. And it's not just VW, I've noticed it on dozens of cars from other makers. That obviously has nothing to do with the 'drive', but it does bum me out a little. My buddy drives/tracks a 2012 Audi TTRS. It still has VERY nice interior bits, and is a real good car on track and on the street. That may be something to consider. With a few bolt on's and the right programming you can pretty easily get to 500 hp.

As regards the drive itself, and only that... I think the RS will be a blast. If their take on the AWD system does what it says it does, it should be a great drivers car. I haven't studied it enough to know how their system if going to be on expendables at the track. Ie, will their torque vectoring burn up inside brake pads, etc.. I really hope it'll have a bit better interior bits and build quality, coming from Germany, but nobody will know that for sure until the actual production cars roll out. Not sure how much driving an ST will tell you. I went and drove one just to check the basic "form factor", and be sure that I fit in the car OK. The ergonomics are $h!t for my build, but I still kinda wanna push past that and try one. I don't think you'll be able to tell a lot about what the RS will feel like from the ST. It was a pretty fun car to drive, but the dynamics are going to be all together different.

If you want another to toss into the mix, you out to go drive an EVO. That has plenty of yummy electronic and mechanical wizardry at work that take all the push out of the car. That one's on my list as well.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Which dealership?

I've put my name on an RS wait list but thought I would ask here if others think this RS could be the grin maker I'm looking for?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Sadly this will just have to based off opinions but I think I have enough from what you mentioned to give a clear one. Fords main goal they stated with the RS was to be a drivers car and driver enjoyment was at the center of it's development. I have an ST it's too soft for me among other things I don't like, as in, no LSD, too small of a turbo, brakes not up to track duty and so forth. The RS will address all these concerns and then some. I wouldn't rule out a test drive in an ST except it won't really get close to how the RS will be when driven hard, but it should give some perspective in terms of how the cars feels and handles putting around town, just figure stiffen everything up 20% and add 150lbs. The RS will be a certain measurable amount above the ST in terms of performance according to Ford, if you test drove an ST and figured out what you don't like you may be able to make a conclusion from that, but nothing will compare to driving the RS hard and seeing how it reacts. Ford went around the US during the release of the ST and set up some Auto-x courses to try them out, but I'm doubtful they will do the same for the RS.

You are kind of switching to a completely different type of vehicle, going from a lightweight RWD Miata or Rear engine GT3 not to mention all are N/A. If you are looking primarily to switch to an AWD turbo vehicle from a drivers perspective I havn't seen any automaker in this segment focus more on enjoyment then Ford has stated with the RS or even the ST honestly. I can say from how the ST makes me smile at times, especially when pushed and having done some minor mods, like engine mounts, tune, that sort of stuff it is a blast, I couldn't see the RS being any less fun, and if it was, then why would any one buy it :)

Thanks,

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks,
I might be able to offer a unique perspective. My most recent purchase was an E92 M3 with a manual transmission. The car was a blast - great power, great at-the-limit handling, beautiful engine sound. Prior to that I had a lightly tuned ST, and I still have a G8 with about 460whp that I bought new in 2008. The M3 is a great car, but honestly, I only got real enjoyment out of it at the limit on HPDE days or on the ever elusive uncrowded back road. The engine didn't come alive putting around town unless I was prepared to drive like an obnoxious moron. The same goes for the handling because while it was super stable and glued to the road it was not very playful.

I sold the ST prior to purchasing the M3, but I finally admitted to myself that I enjoyed driving the ST in day-to-day driving more so than the BMW. The low end grunt of the ST and its willingness to oversteer off-throttle was addictive. The problem I had with the ST, and ultimately the reason I sold it, was that it didn't have much going for it when I upped the pace. It would run out of breath, it was too sloppy in the twisties, and I am no fan of FWD.

The RS looks like it will fix a lot of the issues I had with the ST. I've got a few backup cars in mind like a 981 Cayman, 228i (M235 isn't worth the extra ducats to me), or even an NSX if I completely disregard practicality. Right now the RS is the front runner.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Test driving an ST by itself may not give you an idea but test driving a base manual Focus then testing a Focus ST might. A lot of you may not agree but I had leased a base focus before purchasing my ST and I'm expecting the performance jump from the ST to the RS to be similar from the base Focus to the ST just on another level of performance above that difference. Of course with an RS you also change the drive type so its going to be a bit more interesting than the the difference between the base Focus and ST but in my mind I'm expecting the RS to be similar to the difference I remember from going from the base focus to the ST but with 2 additional wheels driving the car forward or sideways in drift mode.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Don't tell me what to do. <3

In all reality though I value my tires too much for that. Even at the track haha. Little rear wheel drive bias never hurts.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Go test an STI, EVO or S4. Tell the salesman you want to see it go around a corner fast. If you like that feeling still, you'll enjoy the car. Electronically controlled AWD is very different in the corners than your Miata.. I like my STI over my old Mazda, but that's cause I'm older and lazier. I can usually go twice the speed limit through a corner or offramp and not even have to correct... It just goes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey - thanks for the input everyone. It does sound like the RS will be the "playful" car I'm interested in...and then some hopefully! I'm trying to find the time to drive an ST.

GTE, Norris is who I'm talking to - we get our co vehicles there. no deposit yet so maybe I shouldn't have said "wait list". Where are you getting yours?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hey - thanks for the input everyone. It does sound like the RS will be the "playful" car I'm interested in...and then some hopefully! I'm trying to find the time to drive an ST.

GTE, Norris is who I'm talking to - we get our co vehicles there. no deposit yet so maybe I shouldn't have said "wait list". Where are you getting yours?
from what I understand no deposits are supposed to be taken before dealer pricing. Im #1 on two dealers lists and neither asked for a deposit. Both plan to get back to me after the first to nail down the build specs since not much else official can be done between now and then. All a dealer can confirm at this point is if they are getting allocations or not.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
from what I understand no deposits are supposed to be taken before dealer pricing. Im #1 on two dealers lists and neither asked for a deposit. Both plan to get back to me after the first to nail down the build specs since not much else official can be done between now and then. All a dealer can confirm at this point is if they are getting allocations or not.
So how many allocations are each of your two dealers getting ?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Thanks,
Depends on what your idea of a "fun" car is. An RS will probably be a great week-end 'fun" track car, but something like an ST maybe more of a "fun" DD. The RS may have too much power,too much stiffness to really have true fun as a DD, chauffeur car and grocery getter. Any turbo lag at all takes the fun out of DD.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
So how many allocations are each of your two dealers getting ?
that which I have personal knowledge of, one dealer in MA is getting 2 (spoke to them last night and I am now 1st on list), one dealer in CT is getting 2 (the one that posted a pic on this site and I called and both are spoken for) and one dealer in NY said they had "allocations" and I was penciled in to get the first (so I assume they got 2 and he clearly doesn't like selling cars to customers he is given from his GM)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts