Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an ST and I placed an order for a base RS; however, I cancelled my order last week. The more I thought about it the less I was able to justify spending that much money on a car that I really don't feel is $10K better than an ST3 (they're going for $26-$27k). Anybody else with an ST agree?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Well I don't have an ST, but I don't agree. I don't like that much power in FWD cars (the Fiesta ST is a much more fun car to drive IMO and in fact it'll be what I buy if I don't like the RS) so the AWD is helpful. I plan to track the car at least somewhat and the RS should be quite a bit better for that. In terms of just driving to and from work, it's probably not worth it (maybe in resale later but who knows), but that's not how I tend to use my cars... at least not just for driving to and from work :)

Everyone has to answer this question for themselves though and answer will of course vary.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Nobody really knows how much better it is, excepT Ford. There have been some ride along's but no actual side by sides. If you have your doubts then by all means wait. But just remember that MY17 isn't for sure. If you order now you will for sure have one if the ball is hit out of the park like we all think. If it turns out to be a flop after the journalist's get it, then there is nothing forcing you to sign on the dotted line at delivery.

·
Registered
280 Posts
In my opinion, you don't buy an RS if you just want a fun fast car, You buy it because it's a RS. The wife has a stage 3 panda tuned ST and it's not going to be anywhere close to what the RS is going to give us.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I can see it being a point to consider, but the RS is just way, way more car than the ST. (ST3 owner here.) If you look at cars that are possibly comparable e.g., Merc A45 AMG or the Audi RS3, they can be twice as expensive as the ST. And even then, it's questionable if they will be an overall match for the RS.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really have a hard time spending that much money on a car in general. I guess I just feel like the $10K could be put to better use for a much worthier cause.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own an ST3. I like it and I'm not sure if the RS is worth the extra 10-15K. I took my ST to Cobb tuning and it now puts 260 WHP to the ground and it's a challenge. To keep from smoking the tires that is. AWD would be nice but I agree with you that the extra money is just not worth it. Then I think about that blue STI in the neighborhood. That kid gets me every time at the light. By the time I get control of my torque the race is over..

·
Registered
235 Posts
I wonder the same thing, I love my ST, but I want the RS because a) AWD, and b) an AWD RS!

·
Banned
1,389 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I really have a hard time spending that much money on a car in general. I guess I just feel like the $10K could be put to better use for a much worthier cause.
Financially, I'm with ya. If you currently own a ST (like myself), the extra 10 grand might not make a lot of sense. It all comes down to your personal finances and what you are looking for in a car. If you want a great daily driver without breaking the bank, the ST is a perfect fit. But if you want all that practicality with close to Porsche Cayman rivaling performance, the RS starts to make a lot more sense.

35 to 40 grand is a lot to spend on a car, but if you look at the other cars in the segment, the RS appears to out perform them all, and even some cars outside of it's segment.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If fast is all you want, you can go at least as fast as the RS for much less (Mustang, for example). Im not a modder and I don't plan on racing, so I think the ST just suits me better. I'd probably wind up with speeding tickets in the RS.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I remember doing this list earlier, but I'll try to write it up.

For 10K you get:
Reworked 2.3L EB engine good for 100 extra HP
Bigger radiator (edit:whoops meant inter-cooler)
Adjustable suspension dampners
Brembo front calipers
Stiffened chassis
Two mode exhaust
Revised aero for zero lift
Brake cooling ducts
19" Wheels and PSS tires.

Seems like nearly $10K worth to me, but hmm... I feel like I'm forgetting something.

Oh yeah, AWD!

And all under a factory warranty.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
If fast is all you want, you can go at least as fast as the RS for much less (Mustang, for example). Im not a modder and I don't plan on racing, so I think the ST just suits me better. I'd probably wind up with speeding tickets in the RS.
None of us have driven it yet, but there's also driving enjoyment and the experience to consider. Will that be worth it? Who knows.. we can't say yet. But you don't have to race a car to enjoy it. Hell when I race I don't enjoy the car, I have a goal and work to achieve that goal. When I track one of my cars or drive on the street I focus on enjoying the drive and car. If I were buying a current Ford for pure driving experience and fun, it would be a Fiesta ST. Second to that would be a GT350. Many here will likely argue with what I just said but having driven both, I like the light tossable nature of the Fiesta ST over the much larger and heavier feeling of the GT350 but the GT350 has great turn in, pretty good balance, a killer motor and fantastic brakes. It still feels a bit too heavy like the Boss 302 LS of a few years ago did IMO though.

Horsepower won't get you a ticket, your right foot may.....

Again though, it comes down to what you want. I have a deposit on an RS because I believe that the hype will end up being at least 50% accurate, in which case it should be an absolute blast to drive on the street, autocross and track. If it is, great.. if not.. Fiesta ST time! Unless someone else releases a car I want more.. that landscape is pretty barren in terms of new practical cars though right now.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The ST is an awesome hatch too, but the RS just takes it to a whole other level! For 10k more in addition to the power increase you get a sophisticated one of its kind AWD system, active dampers, different driving modes, a new exhaust system, a more thoroughly performance tuned suspension, visual upgrades and most of the optional creature comforts of the top level ST come standard on the RS. Ford simply took the approaches that Subaru and VW took with their performance hatches/sedans with the ST and RS. Plus it hasn't even been driven by anyone outside of Ford yet!

But to each their own. Some will find the RS worth the money and some won't. Personally I get more jittery every day as we approach those inevitable delivery dates :cool:

·
Registered
471 Posts
I remember doing this list earlier, but I'll try to write it up.

For 10K you get:
Reworked 2.3L EB engine good for 100 extra HP
Bigger radiator
Adjustable suspension dampners
Brembo front calipers
Stiffened chassis
Two mode exhaust
Revised aero for zero lift
Brake cooling ducts
19" Wheels and PSS tires.

Seems like nearly $10K worth to me, but hmm... I feel like I'm forgetting something.

Oh yeah, AWD!

And all under a factory warranty.
3 more things.
1-Don't forget drift mode! and all the other modes for automagically adjustable suspension stiffness etc...
2-The car LOOKS BADASS. Way more attractive than ST.
3- 2 and a half years and millions of dollars into the development of the 2016 RS.

These items add up to way over 10K

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Just like the wrx or STi question, but both those cars are awd. I say it's easly worth it. FoST/wrx to have a blast reasonably inexpensively or the FoRS/STi for the avid entheausiest for about ten grand more. If your going to mod an ST you'r still never going to be close to an RS. Just like you can never turn a wrx into an STi no matter how much ya spend.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts