Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning my RS was parked on the street. Cyclist wasn’t paying attention and smoked the back of it. Smashed the rear glass, dented the hatch near the badge, damaged the bumper and knocked it off etc.

Body shops are closed all weekend so I’m trying to do some reading up. First claim with the RS (other than windshield). The dent in the hatch is on a crease, and I would prefer they not slather a bunch of Bondo on it. If possible I’d like a replacement hatch. I already know that if those gouges in the bumper are deep enough, I’ll probably have to wait a while for a bumper. Not a big deal, the car is drivable other than the missing rear window.

I know most the body panels on the RS are no real different to any other focus. What about the rear hatchback? I see on this forum a few people said they had to wait months to get new hatches from Germany. So is there anything unique or special about the RS hatch that sets it apart from any other focus SE/ST/titanium?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I believe it is not unique and that the RS spoler will transfer into a regular hatch. Other on here have replaced the RS spoler with the standard spoler.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Its different than an ST hatch, at least in terms of the euro license plate mount. Dont see why a regular hatch wouldn't work tho.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
First of all, did you file a police report? If not, that is a mistake.

The cyclist hit your car, rear-ended your car. While the cyclist doesn't likely have insurance as its not required because a bike isn't a motor vehicle, your insurance will need to take care of the repair cost.

Its your car, you are paying good money for the RS. It deserves to be be repaired CORRECTLY. Whether that is a new hatch, or a used hatch from another matching Focus model. You have insurance to be made whole, and a cheap repair is not making you whole.

If it had happened the other way, had you hit the bicycle it would be a completely different story and the cyclist would be crying for blood. Why cyclists expect to be treated different because their vehicle isn't motorized I don't know.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have provincial insurance, it’s all covered so that’s not an issue. The person can either pay back my insurance company or pay the body shop, either one.

Thank you for letting me know about the euro plate mounts. I want a proper vin-replacement for my RS if it needs one.

Also yes I’ll look into carbon hatches. Now is the time to do it, if there ever was a time. Often the insurance company will accept aftermarket parts as replacement, as long as you cover the difference in price

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Darn, when I smoked a Volvo on my bicycle my home owners policy ponied up . . .

Did you get all details etc?

I'd like to know how ICBC deals with this!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So from what I’ve heard from icbc with my brief phone call yesterday.

It is covered under my comprehensive as a hit and run. My insurance rate is unaffected because it’s obviously not my fault, but I’d still be on the hook for the $500 deductible.
Since the husband of the woman who hit me has contacted icbc, they have admitted fault etc. So I will continue as a normal accident claim, go get body shop estimates etc. I will not have to pay deductible and the person who hit me will be liable for the entire bill. Whether they have to pay the shop directly or pay back icbc I’m not sure.

I’ve emailed my claims adjuster with a few questions. I want proper euro RS specific panels if anything needs replacing. As it’s been pointed out, my car should be repaired as is before the accident. If the body shop only wants to slather on bondo and paint it, then I’d rather have a cash payout and let me order a carbon hatch and get new glass put in.

Don’t expect a response until Monday or Tuesday so we will see

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
So from what I’ve heard from icbc with my brief phone call yesterday.

It is covered under my comprehensive as a hit and run. My insurance rate is unaffected because it’s obviously not my fault, but I’d still be on the hook for the $500 deductible.
Since the husband of the woman who hit me has contacted icbc, they have admitted fault etc. So I will continue as a normal accident claim, go get body shop estimates etc. I will not have to pay deductible and the person who hit me will be liable for the entire bill. Whether they have to pay the shop directly or pay back icbc I’m not sure.

I’ve emailed my claims adjuster with a few questions. I want proper euro RS specific panels if anything needs replacing. As it’s been pointed out, my car should be repaired as is before the accident. If the body shop only wants to slather on bondo and paint it, then I’d rather have a cash payout and let me order a carbon hatch and get new glass put in.

Don’t expect a response until Monday or Tuesday so we will see
I'd stay away from carbon hoods and hatches. I've never seen one that doesnt have issues with fit and/or latching. Seriously the level of fit some people here think is acceptable on these major carbon pieces is an eye opener. I've never seen one that is anywhere near as good as the factory pieces and when you consider the cost of them well its bordering on disgraceful.
If your a racer then you look past the fit and finish because your total focus is on saving weight, but for everyday road driving personally I'd stay away. On top of that there is of course the issue of legality of major carbon pieces for a street registered car.

Ciao

·
Registered
565 Posts
@320icar whether you plan on installing the wiper and motor or a delete plug, ensure you give the motor to the glass installer so they can align the hole in the glass with the motor bracket on the composite hatch.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
There are some things that are great for weight loss. But a carbon hatch is one of those where I'd want the OEM hatch.

I rank big CF bits like doors, hatch, and such along side lexan windows. Great for a race car, terrible for the street.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
went to the body shop, they dont think i will need a new hatch but they will know for sure once they bring it in and take it apart.

for those interested, here is the difference. the usdm hatch has 4 holes for the plate. the eudm has 2 holes then a bracket to adapt to our usdm plates

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
Good the hear you'll get her fix correctly.

Cyclist text and ride?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts