Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sadly, too little, too late for me. Love their stuff and was staying glassy-eyed for their R&T units but to put out a set that you have to manually control rather than interfacing electronically with the stock controls is a missed opportunity in my book. More and more vehicles are using systems similar to ours and they'd do well to get on board with electronic suspension controls. It's not rocket science. They could have had the go-to system for our cars. I'm sure they're great units for some. I enjoy shifting on the fly and would have loved to have 2 useable settings to play with. Seems like they decided to cut their engineering losses to get product out before the Mk3 RS became history.
They have the technology, just chose not to apply it to our vehicles. It doesn't have to be fully active, just give us two settings. :(
https://www.ohlins.com/products/ces/ces-ohlins-racing/

·
Registered
737 Posts
I guess I was also expecting an electronic kit for how long these took to get to market. I'm sure they're fantastic coilovers and all, but not what I wanted.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Ouch. Not electronically controlled and they re-used rear shock bodies with coilover threads while sticking with an inboard spring. Just seems like they said screw it, release this kit and weren't done with R&D. Oh well. Was hoping for a bit more.

Curious how the ride is with 450lb front and 400lb rear springs.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Ouch. Not electronically controlled and they re-used rear shock bodies with coilover threads while sticking with an inboard spring. Just seems like they said screw it, release this kit and weren't done with R&D. Oh well. Was hoping for a bit more.

Actally the effective rear wheel spring rates would be much less than 400....probably around 300 due to the location of the springs. With that said it all boils down to the damping spring rate combination.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Not as disappointed in the manual adjustment. I really didn't expect a lot of the market to go that direction. I am interested in the height range, camber adjustment (whether that means camber plates are included), price, and user feedback though.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Don't think I've ever seen Ohlins including camber plates. I agree with you on the ride height concern. Almost all of the current coil overs require 30mm front and 35mm+ rear drop....far more than I'd want on my street only RS.

I have Ohlins on my Audi S4 and the min drop is 15mm....perfect.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Glad they're finally getting this product out there. I pestered them countless times before I broke down and purchased the KW V3s.

Looking forward to the report once someone gets a set of these bad boys. :)

Ohlins doesn't typically put out garbage.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Don't think I've ever seen Ohlins including camber plates. I agree with you on the ride height concern. Almost all of the current coil overs require 30mm front and 35mm+ rear drop....far more than I'd want on my street only RS.

Min drop of 15mm would be fantastic. One of my hesitations with the KWs is their min drop.

Edit: About the camber plates: The pictures don't show plates either but the product info indicates camber is adjustable.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

All Ohlin R/T divorced spring setups run their threaded rear bodies.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts

In the owners manual off the site it says the drop is 15-25mm. Hopefully more on the 15mm than 25mm.
https://world.ohlins.com/app/uploads/2018/07/ohlins_prodnews_rt_Ford-Focus-RS-3rd-gen_FOSMS00-1.pdf

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wondering why front strut not height body adjustible like rear.

ive read and seen rebound and compression adjustable. is that all done through the one knob at top
or is their one at bottom as well? Reason asking as been said before pic may not represent final product.
says camber adjustable but no camber plate shown.

also cant see, but i wonder if front is inverted shock?

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Rally Sport Direct will probably mount these to their RS and post a video. The problem is when. It will be awhile.

For the $, the KW DDC's look like the best option. If money isn't a concern the DSC/Tractive setup.

Some won't care about the in car 2 mode adjust-ability but most want to retain the function.

Ohlins was the "THE" company on motorcycles to introduce electronically controlled suspension on sportbikes. Their shock/forks on the Panigale were the first, now even the Yamaha R1 has them. So Ohlins is well versed on electronic control of dampers. I'm pretty disappointed in them as they are my go to. I have them on my motorcycles in the garage and have used them on previous cars. But do I want to lose my in-car adjust-ability? Not really. But I will, like others, wait for reviews. I have purposely resisted any mods on my car until everything was on the table. I was waiting on Cobb and Ohlins so it's now eval time before I start buying everything.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
wondering why front strut not height body adjustible like rear.

ive read and seen rebound and compression adjustable. is that all done through the one knob at top
or is their one at bottom as well? Reason asking as been said before pic may not represent final product.
says camber adjustable but no camber plate shown.

also cant see, but i wonder if front is inverted shock?
R/T series are 1 way (rebound) adjustable. I suspect that Ohlin is indicating camber adjustable (when used with camber plates) bc the narrow spring provides clearance thus allowing for camber (plate) adjustment. The fronts are threaded for collar height adjustment.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
R/T series are 1 way (rebound) adjustable. I suspect that Ohlin is indicating camber adjustable (when used with camber plates) bc the narrow spring provides clearance thus allowing for camber (plate) adjustment. The fronts are threaded for collar height adjustment.
i dont doubt your knowledge if so ohlins needs to correct their website

"The Öhlins Road & Track suspension gives our customers a true racing experience, with their own cars, without losing comfort when commuting to work. Our unique Dual Flow Valve (DFV) technology allows you to quickly change the stiffness of the shock absorber. When arriving to the racetrack, >( just turn the golden knob clockwise on the damper to set it in race mode this action changes all four areas in the damper; low and high speed compression and rebound damping)<."

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
i dont doubt your knowledge if so ohlins needs to correct their website

"The Öhlins Road & Track suspension gives our customers a true racing experience, with their own cars, without losing comfort when commuting to work. Our unique Dual Flow Valve (DFV) technology allows you to quickly change the stiffness of the shock absorber. When arriving to the racetrack, >( just turn the golden knob clockwise on the damper to set it in race mode this action changes all four areas in the damper; low and high speed compression and rebound damping)<."
Their statement is correct, as written. A 1 way damper means that you can set one parameter (rebound), but bc of the way damping valving is designed it will have a small affect on the compression damping....you just can't adjust the compression independantly. On a 2 way system you can set low speed compression and rebound. With a 3 way system you can independantly set high speed and low speed compression as well as rebound.

Any 1 way adjustable coil over will affect the other settings (high/low speed) compression but they will be very modest and a direct correlation to any rebound adjustments....second or third order type changes.

Don't get me wrong, a 1 way adjustable Ohlin is fine for street and modest track or autox duty but not really a full fledged track setup with complete adjustability.

Ohlin presets the compression damping relative to the rebound setiings....it makes tuning the strut so much easier, and nearly fool proof.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Front the looks of the pictures, not sure where the adjustment knob is for the front struts? The rear adjustment knob is very clear. It would suck if the front knob is on the bottom of the strut.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts
About this Discussion
150 Replies
32 Participants
RSPECTED
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing