Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the videos the cars are spec'd with rain sensing wipers, auto-dimming mirrors and bi-xenon headlights. From my understanding these won't make it to this side? I was curious if this could be ordered at the dealership since they're being made in the same factory?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Sadly, no. Not in the US.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Anything can be added later if you want to throw enough money at it. The auto dim mirror shouldn't be too difficult as tell wiring is most likely already there, just gotta hook it up. Headlights are just a simple swap with the EU parts as well. The rest might be a bit more difficult but not impossible. Personally I may try and install headlight washers just because I like the look of them.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Anything can be added later if you want to throw enough money at it. The auto dim mirror shouldn't be too difficult as tell wiring is most likely already there, just gotta hook it up. Headlights are just a simple swap with the EU parts as well. The rest might be a bit more difficult but not impossible. Personally I may try and install headlight washers just because I like the look of them.
Hold up, the Euro RS come with Headlight washers???? why is this the first ive heard of this?

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
US to Euro $$$

May not be as easy and cheap as you think. New bumper, new wiring harness, headlight washer fluid reservoir ,etc. Euro lights includestandard swiveling bi-xenon headlights with headlight washers, rain-sensing wipers, auto-dimming rear-view mirror, heated washer nozzles, and a heated windshield. Euro buyers can also pay extra for parking sensors, rear privacy glass, power-fold side mirrors, forward collision braking, and cool door edge protectors that automatically pop out when you open a door. And it still isn't clear whether or no Euro RSs get full LED taillghts.

To do a full Euro conversion might start getting expensive $$$ but light you said you can do basically anything if you are willing to throw money at it.

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
376 Posts
May not be as easy and cheap as you think. New bumper, new wiring harness, headlight washer fluid reservoir ,etc. Euro lights includestandard swiveling bi-xenon headlights with headlight washers, rain-sensing wipers, auto-dimming rear-view mirror, heated washer nozzles, and a heated windshield. Euro buyers can also pay extra for parking sensors, rear privacy glass, power-fold side mirrors, forward collision braking, and cool door edge protectors that automatically pop out when you open a door. And it still isn't clear whether or no Euro RSs get full LED taillghts.

To do a full Euro conversion might start getting expensive $$$ but light you said you can do basically anything if you are willing to throw money at it.

YMMV,

MidCow3
That's why I said anything is possible if you throw enough money at it.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Wait, we don't get bixenons? I guess I'm doing a retrofit regardless, then.

Why can't I own a car with decent headlights!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
We finally get an RS here in the states and all the extra bits aren't even options. I didn't even look into it but are we going to have non-hid bulbs?
The ST3 comes with 35W economy D8S HID bulbs in a very mediocre projector. The headlights appear to be identical so the expectation is that this is what will be found in the RS. They will be HIDs but don't get excited.

·
Registered
166 Posts
This is the one thing that really bugs the hell out of me! Since all the cars are being built in the same factory then we should all have the same tech options available. Is there any reasonable explanation why they do not make these tech options available in the US market? They should at least make them available as an RS3 package.

Ty

·
Registered
520 Posts
This is the one thing that really bugs the hell out of me! Since all the cars are being built in the same factory then we should all have the same tech options available. Is there any reasonable explanation why they do not make these tech options available in the US market? They should at least make them available as an RS3 package.

Ty
I'd tie it to cost cutting most likely due to having to certify/export the car to global markets while still keeping it affordable to the customer and priced competitively. I personally would love to have the heated windshield and the rear parking sensors, but at the same time I'm glad they chose to cut costs by omitting tech features instead of crimping the RS's powertrain/suspension (I.E. dumbing down for the US market as some other cars have done).

·
Registered
334 Posts

Ty
I'm going to be as up front as I can and say that I'm absolutely guessing when I say this, but, I believe it all has to do with the laws and regulations of each market, and what Ford thinks will make the most money in each market. Obviously, certain options will have to be included for certain markets - as it was mentioned with the headlight washers in England before - because of regulations. But I think it also has to do with the types of cars commonly bought in each market. IIRC (and this is from memory so it might not be correct) European countries tend to buy upscale cars in a higher percentage than the US, which means that cars with more options/included equipment would sell better and bring more of a profit in those markets. Ford might think that RS' with more options/equipment might not sell as well in the US based on the usual types of car we buy (and remember, the RS is based on an average market Focus at the end of the day) therefore, offering more options/equipment might not make fiscal sense in the US.

Again, I could be wrong about this, but it's my guess.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Ty
I agree. I can understand some of the options might have no interest to someone, say in Florida. eg: heated windshield or wiper nozzles. But to someone up north they may be useful. I think most people wouldn't mind the pop out door edge guards since they seem pretty simple and effective. But if they're not illegal in the states I don't see why they couldn't have been options for those who might want them

·
Registered
717 Posts
So hold on, those cool lights we've seen in all the videos won't be a thing for the US model? What are we getting instead? What does it look like?

Hoping it's not shoddy and / or it's easy to drop-in the Euro housing with the lights in

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
We finally get an RS here in the states and all the extra bits aren't even options. I didn't even look into it but are we going to have non-hid bulbs?
So hold on, those cool lights we've seen in all the videos won't be a thing for the US model? What are we getting instead? What does it look like?

Hoping it's not shoddy and / or it's easy to drop-in the Euro housing with the lights in
It should look identical. Look at the facelifted ST3 for the headlights and the 1.0L Ecoboost Focus for the tail lights.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I suspected it all came down to cost cutting and what Ford "thinks" the US market would purchase. But my current car is the 2009 Volvo C30 and it is based on the same platform and Volvo included all the same tech here. I get that the "Focus" brand is average market, but Ford can use the "RS" and "ST" badge as an opportunity to go more up market with the available packages. I am glad they at least did not make cuts on the really important parts which is the performance features.

Ty

·
Registered
717 Posts
It should look identical. Look at the facelifted ST3 for the headlights and the 1.0L Ecoboost Focus for the tail lights.
So you mean they look identical between US and EU versions, but function differently. Correct? If so, that's not tool bad. I can't seem to find any good info on advantages or disadvantages of either system, got any info?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts