Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dream RS build is one that makes ~450awhp but is able to rev to the moon (I come from a Honda background and that's what I miss most about driving the RS around). I was looking at Mountune's V3 camshafts which say that the powerband is widened from 2000-7500 with them tuned. Would it be possible to have a tune that extends that powerband to 8500 or 9000 on those camshafts without any noticeable drop off in power like shown in the mock graph below? Assume I have a Mountune-built 2.3L long block for this.

If that kind of power curve is even possible, what turbo would produce it?

(Yes, I know the HP and TQ lines don't cross at the right spot.)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
So you want an ecoboost that revs to 9000rpm?

Trade it in for a CTR. Or write a blank cheque to a race shop and don’t even ask

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:cry:

Why couldn't Ford embrace a VVT motor for these cars.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems not-great that they redline at 6600 then :\

well, if I can’t go much higher than 7500 on the Mountune V3 cams, is a powerband like shown at least possible? Like a tune that builds max boost early and holds it as long as it can to smooth out the power delivery?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Ford ecu statgey limits revs to approx 7400rpms due to the use of a hall affect sensor on crankshaft. If wanting higher a stand alone is absolutely required. Just some FYI.

·
Registered
206 Posts
That kind of torque curve is unlikely. Nothing is impossible given unlimited money, but after 1000 RPM, you've drawn an electric motor torque curve.

A twin-charged engine might be able to pull that off, at horrendous complexity cost, but your torque peak would still be closer to the middle somewhere, and having it over such a broad RPM range would require a much more complex head than our car has.

My Elise is supercharged with Toyota's VVTL-i and it maintains good torque from about 3500-8500, with a cam change in the middle.

·
Registered
64 Posts
New challenge: find a dyno chart from ANY real (ICE) car that looks like that.

As mentioned, you'd either need to go with some insanely complex sequential turbo or twincharged setup or a small nitrous shot on a mid size turbo in order to get peak torque that early without running out of air at 9000 rpm. The limiting factor in this case isn't so much the engine as it is the power adder design. I'm sure someone can come up with a rotating assembly that spins to 9k,a cam grind that keeps the valves happy at those speeds, and a standalone ecu to manage it for like $15-20k.

Starting with a honda engine solves the first problem of getting to 9000rpm, but good luck finding low end torque anywhere near what that graph is suggesting. The ecoboost was designed for a broader, lower torque curve. Given the weight of the platform and the need to spin an awd setup, that was probably a wise decision.

·
Registered
342 Posts
We don't rev that high because of the rod ratio as well. You would need to mess with the crank as well I'm thinking

1 - 10 of 10 Posts