Ford Focus RS Forum banner

241 - 260 of 304 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
@Josh/AWE -

Hey Josh, let me apologize in advance if this has been answered in the last 25 pages already. I've seen some descriptions saying the only the Touring model uses 180 Technology, other descriptions saying Touring and Track, but none saying that the SwitchPath uses the 180 Technology.

Does the SwitchPath also use 180 Technology?

I am interested in the SwitchPath but really want to confirm that when the valve is closed there is no drone at all.

Thanks!

·
Vendor
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
@Josh/AWE -

Hey Josh, let me apologize in advance if this has been answered in the last 25 pages already. I've seen some descriptions saying the only the Touring model uses 180 Technology, other descriptions saying Touring and Track, but none saying that the SwitchPath uses the 180 Technology.

I am interested in the SwitchPath but really want to confirm that when the valve is closed there is no drone at all.

Thanks!
Hi!

Hm. Not sure where 180 Technology® would be a listed characteristic for Track Edition -- it is only featured within the Touring Edition configuration. SwitchPath™ has a specifically-engineered muffler to act differently when the valve is open v.s. when it's closed. I can confirm personally that there is no drone with the valve closed. It is very, very civil. You will still get the backfires and pops when in applicable driving modes, but they are greatly suppressed.

·
Registered
212 Posts
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->
@<a href="http://www.focusrs.org/forum/member.php?u=35962" target="_blank">Josh/AWE</a>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> -

Thanks!
The switchpath is literally quieter than stock with the valve closed. You hear a tink tink tink with the pops in sport mode but thats about it. Then with the valve open its roudy :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I apologize if this has been asked before...

I've been looking into getting either the track or touring edition of this system, but I can't make up my mind. Initially I wanted the touring edition, but it's hard to pass on the track edition (being cheaper and lighter are huge bonuses). Then again it is my daily driver, so the subtlety of the touring edition would be welcome. Does anyone daily drive with the track edition? Is it unbearable to listen to all the time? pros/cons? Thank in advance for any tips.

·
Vendor
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #247

I've been looking into getting either the track or touring edition of this system, but I can't make up my mind. Initially I wanted the touring edition, but it's hard to pass on the track edition (being cheaper and lighter are huge bonuses). Then again it is my daily driver, so the subtlety of the touring edition would be welcome. Does anyone daily drive with the track edition? Is it unbearable to listen to all the time? pros/cons? Thank in advance for any tips.
No problem. I will stand by and allow others to give you insight you're after re: the Track Edition.

I myself can't praise the Touring Edition enough.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
@Josh/AWE -

Thank you for that confirmation. The valve is important to me for things like early AM/late PM cold starts and for general driving when I don't want to hear the drone.

P.S. - I think your description on page 1 of this thread indicates that 180 Technology is used for the track edition.

Thanks Josh!

Hi!

Hm. Not sure where 180 Technology® would be a listed characteristic for Track Edition -- it is only featured within the Touring Edition configuration. SwitchPath™ has a specifically-engineered muffler to act differently when the valve is open v.s. when it's closed. I can confirm personally that there is no drone with the valve closed. It is very, very civil. You will still get the backfires and pops when in applicable driving modes, but they are greatly suppressed.

·
Vendor
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
@Josh/AWE -

Thank you for that confirmation. The valve is important to me for things like early AM/late PM cold starts and for general driving when I don't want to hear the drone.

P.S. - I think your description on page 1 of this thread indicates that 180 Technology is used for the track edition.

Thanks Josh!
Sure thing!

Maybe the "minus" emphasized :eek-new:

"minus AWE’s proprietary drone-canceling solution, 180 Technology®. A full 3” diameter configuration rounds out the feature set."

·
Registered
149 Posts

I put the track edition on last weekend. I've only heard a few different systems on the RS and I like this the best out of a few others but it is LOUD. The exhaust is loud cruising around at anything more than 25% throttle and the pops are so loud that I'm afraid I'll set off the gunshot detection system in my local city :)

The drone is not bad. At 70 in 6th it's pretty silent. At 80 there is a slight drone. On decel in any gear there is drone. I found myself cruising in a higher gear than I normally would with the stock exhaust. For example, I would normally just stay in 4th at 40, but now I'm in 5th. On the plus side, I'll probably see slightly better gas consumption haha.

In summary, it is loud and will never have the benefit of a valved system where you can turn the noise off and on. However, if you manage the throttle you can get by. Even after a few days of driving, my fiance and I still look at each other and smile every time the exhaust pops. Then we look around for cops.

Fitment was great. That ford Vband clamp can go to hell. Also, don't try and do it using ramps by yourself unless you want your neighbors to question whether or not you suffer from Tourettes.

I would like to hear a touring edition in person and may consider the conversion if I start getting tickets. Although at the cost of the kit for just mufflers I may look at other options.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I put the track edition on last weekend. I've only heard a few different systems on the RS and I like this the best out of a few others but it is LOUD. The exhaust is loud cruising around at anything more than 25% throttle and the pops are so loud that I'm afraid I'll set off the gunshot detection system in my local city :)

The drone is not bad. At 70 in 6th it's pretty silent. At 80 there is a slight drone. On decel in any gear there is drone. I found myself cruising in a higher gear than I normally would with the stock exhaust. For example, I would normally just stay in 4th at 40, but now I'm in 5th. On the plus side, I'll probably see slightly better gas consumption haha.

In summary, it is loud and will never have the benefit of a valved system where you can turn the noise off and on. However, if you manage the throttle you can get by. Even after a few days of driving, my fiance and I still look at each other and smile every time the exhaust pops. Then we look around for cops.

Fitment was great. That ford Vband clamp can go to hell. Also, don't try and do it using ramps by yourself unless you want your neighbors to question whether or not you suffer from Tourettes.

I would like to hear a touring edition in person and may consider the conversion if I start getting tickets. Although at the cost of the kit for just mufflers I may look at other options.
This is perfect! Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. As much as I would love the weight and cost savings with the Track edition, it sounds like it might be just a little too loud for a daily driver. I will probably end up going with the Touring edition like I initially wanted.

Thank you very much for your input. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
This is perfect! Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. As much as I would love the weight and cost savings with the Track edition, it sounds like it might be just a little too loud for a daily driver. I will probably end up going with the Touring edition like I initially wanted.

Thank you very much for your input. :)
No problem. I think you'll be happy with the touring. I'll be happy when I get Waze on sync :driving:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Touring edition will be it for me this season....only question is resonated, or not. Sound clips don’t differentiate much. Oh and, a spring sale would be nice too.

·
Vendor
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
Touring edition will be it for me this season....only question is resonated, or not. Sound clips don’t differentiate much. Oh and, a spring sale would be nice too.
The non-resonated variant has a sharper tone to it, if that makes sense. More aggressive, indeed

The resonated Touring Edition is the the drone-free ticket, though, and perfect to be driven everyday.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
So I've had the track edition on for a while, and I think I've convinced myself that I have an exhaust leak at the front VBand clamp. Is there a good aftermarket replacement or does anyone have any recommendations on ensuring the stock one is sealed properly?

·
Registered
149 Posts
So I've had the track edition on for a while, and I think I've convinced myself that I have an exhaust leak at the front VBand clamp. Is there a good aftermarket replacement or does anyone have any recommendations on ensuring the stock one is sealed properly?
Did you reuse the stock vband clamp? In the manual, it is a one time use clamp. You can buy another one on Tasca for 10 bucks. I bought one on Tasca but it came in after my exhaust got here so I reused the original one. It is two pieces. 90% of a circle, then a little piece that is the last 10%. It slots into the big piece. If it isn't slotted in properly then it will probably leak. I did it myself on ramps and it was an utter nightmare but I did get it.

There is a thread on it here:
http://www.focusrs.org/forum/16-focus-rs-performance/100505-replace-awful-v-band-clamp-stock-downpipe-catback-2.html

·
Registered
149 Posts

Just a little update after driving around for a week- I have found that driving around in "normal mode" makes it much easier to regulate the sound and produces less pops. This is now my go to for daily driving. When I want to get rowdy then I put it in sport. This exhaust sounds awesome...probably as awesome as the RS can sound...but it does require you to adapt your driving style. I will be keeping it and not swapping the rear for the touring edition at this point. If I start getting tickets and it becomes an issue then I will swap, but I have driven by multiple speed traps without issue and now that I have figured out how to manage the sound, I can drive through my neighborhood late at night without worrying about everyone hating me. Cold starts and highway cruising at 80 are the only slightly bothersome issues, but if you bought an RS for comfort and civility then you bought the wrong car.

Showing off my exhaust in my parking garage made it all worth it. My buddy got a kick out of the m80 pops. I gassed it by a few of my female coworkers leaving work and the next day they said "yeah we were trying to talk and our words got drowned out, then we thought your car blew up". Mission successful.

241 - 260 of 304 Posts