Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 304 Posts

·
Vendor
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Comin’ in hot. Presenting the AWE Ford Mk3 Focus RS Exhaust Suite:

• All of the hot hatch tone with zero drone
  • Available as valved SwitchPath™, sophisticated Touring Edition, or unleashed Track Edition
  • Proudly designed, engineered, and manufactured in-house, in the U.S.A
  • Max gains of 22 hp and 19 ft-lbs of torque to the crank (SwitchPath™, Touring & Track Editions)
  • Control the SwitchPath™ Exhaust with the included SwitchPath™ Remote
  • Touring Edition features AWE’s proprietary drone-canceling solution, 180 Technology®
  • Touring Edition available as resonated and non-resonated
  • Handcrafted out of 3” U.S.-sourced .068” wall T304L stainless steel
  • 4” double-walled tips available in chrome silver or diamond black
  • Less is more: clean, non-baffled, straight-through design maximizes performance
  • Direct bolt-on system for factory-like simplicity
  • No Check Engine Light - Guaranteed
  • Perfect Fitment - Guaranteed
  • Featuring the AWE Lifetime Exhaust Warranty

The Options:

Touring Edition Cat-back Exhaust:

[note: the AWE video features the Resonated Touring Edition Exhaust, and the CJ video features the Non-Resonated Touring Edition Exhaust]

The Mk3 Focus RS Touring Edition Exhaust sits at the intersection of sophisticated and aggressive. A direct bolt-on, straight-through, drone-free masterpiece. The Touring Edition Exhaust boasts AWE’s proprietary drone-canceling solution, 180 Technology®, producing a drone-free, aggressive tone throughout the entire range. Civil while cruising on the highway, aggressive when you need it. Loud, sharp pops and crackles accessible at any time.

The Touring Edition is available as resonated or non-resonated. While we recommend resonated to achieve the perfect drone-free configuration, the option for non-resonated is available for those who crave extra volume in the mid range.

Sound Perfection: AWE Tuning 180 Technology®

Perfect tone, compliments of AWE Tuning 180 Technology®.

As exhaust gases exit the RS’ 2.3T engine and flow into an AWE Tuning 180 Technology® equipped resonator, they pass through strategically located ports, and into reflection chambers. Sound waves, carried by these exhaust gasses, bounce off the walls of the reflection chambers. By controlling the size and location of the ports and the chambers, we also control when the sound waves exit the chambers. The specific timing of when the reflected sound waves rejoin the main exhaust flow creates a one-hundred-and-eighty-degree out-of-phase sound wave that cancels out problematic frequencies. More on AWE Tuning 180 Technology® in the tab above.

Track Edition Cat-back Exhaust:

If raw and rowdy are your speed, the Track Edition is your dose of steel. The loudest of the lot, the Track Edition Exhaust retains all the engineering and precision of the Touring Edition, minus AWE’s proprietary drone-canceling solution, 180 Technology®. A full 3” diameter configuration rounds out the feature set.

This versions is known to get rowdy in the mid range, and may be too much for many. For that reason, this particular version cannot be returned due to sound preference. Prepare yourself.

SwitchPath™ Cat-back Exhaust:

From sophisticated to rowdy, at the push of a button.

The SwitchPath™ Exhaust is a full 3” diameter system featuring a straight-through muffler consisting of AWE’s special blend of stainless steel packing and acoustical material. With a valved outlet on the passenger’s side, the SwitchPath™ Exhaust can remain quiet and comfortable while cruising, or rowdy when you want to crank it to 11. Tap into mood control with the SwitchPath™ Remote. By bypassing the factory ECU-controlled operation, the SwitchPath™ Remote to can open or close the SwitchPath™ valve regardless of driving mode.

Note: if you wish to retain the factory valve operation via the driving modes, simply reuse the factory valve motor.

SwitchPath™ Remote:

If you prefer to take control over your Focus RS' factory exhaust, you can do so via the SwitchPath™ Remote. Simply plug in the SwitchPath™ Remote harness to bypass the factory ECU-controlled valve operation, allowing you to open and close the factory exhaust valve from within the cabin with the SwitchPath™ Remote at any time.

Tip Options:

All tip options include the AWE logo and double walling to ensure a mirror finish even under hard usage. All tips are individually adjustable, allowing depth into the bumper to be set according to personal taste.

• 4” slash-cut chrome silver tips
  • 4” slash-cut diamond black tips

Data:

·
Vendor
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do both systems weigh? I will probably be in for the switch as long as it's lighter

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
I don't have a factory system to weigh at the moment, I'm afraid. Out of the lot, Track Edition would be the lightest, followed by SwitchPath™, then Touring.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Is the switched model as loud as the track model when fully opneed or is it quieter?

Does the track model drone since it doesn't have the drone free technology? Is track model available with or without the resonator?

·
Vendor
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the switched model as loud as the track model when fully opneed or is it quieter?

Does the track model drone since it doesn't have the drone free technology? Is track model available with or without the resonator?
It would be a close call, but the Track Edition would be louder as the SwitchPath™, with valve open, does go through the muffler a tiny bit... but not much as it's all straight-through.

I'll say when it's compared to the Touring Edition configuration, it does drone, but that is because the Touring Edition is completely drone-free. The Track Edition does not come with the option of having a resonated/non-resonated mid pipe. It comes complete with a resonated mid pipe. You will thanks us later :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't have a factory system to weigh at the moment, I'm afraid. Out of the lot, Track Edition would be the lightest, followed by SwitchPath, then Touring.
If you provide the weight of all your systems, that would be awesome. We have the stock weight somewhere in the forums.

Thanks!

·
Vendor
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you provide the weight of all your systems, that would be awesome. We have the stock weight somewhere in the forums.

Thanks!

I can fulfill that request, my friend. Will relay as soon as I can.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
It would be a close call, but the Track Edition would be louder as the SwitchPath™, with valve open, does go through the muffler a tiny bit... but not much as it's all straight-through.

I'll say when it's compared to the Touring Edition configuration, it does drone, but that is because the Touring Edition is completely drone-free. The Track Edition does not come with the option of having a resonated/non-resonated mid pipe. It comes complete with a resonated mid pipe. You will thanks us later :)
Great dyno performance charts....do you have sound level comparisons btwn systems across the rpm range too?

The CJPONY video says the Track model is "boomier" than the Touring model....is that drone or something else. They also claimed "virtually no drone" with Track model....seems contradictory wirh statements.

·
Vendor
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Great dyno performance charts....do you have sound level comparisons btwn systems across the rpm range too?

The CJPONY video says the Track model is "boomier" than the Touring model....is that drone or something else. They also claimed "virtually no drone" with Track model....seems contradictory wirh statements.
You can find level differences from inside of the cabin by comparing interior angles from our Touring and SwitchPath™ videos and their Track Edition video. I believe he was describing how much of a presence the Track Edition has within the cabin vs the Touring Edition -- i.e. it's loud both inside and outside of the cabin with the Track Edition, and only loud on the outside with the Touring Edition. He does not that drone is present when rowing through the range, but when he kept it at a stable, constant RPM is did not drone. Drone with a Track Edition is to be expected at some point given everyone's anatomy is different... and as you know, drone is subjective.

Regarding the dyno data: thanks! Crank power figures can be see here for SwitchPath™ and here for Touring/Track Edition. Didn't want to over clutter the OP :tiphat:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Damn these look nice. I have been tossing around the idea of an exhaust but have been stuck on the fence due to the lack of drone free/cruising friendly options. This might just be a good solution.....:smile:

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
You can find level differences from inside of the cabin by comparing interior angles from our Touring and SwitchPath™ videos and their Track Edition video. I believe he was describing how much of a presence the Track Edition has within the cabin vs the Touring Edition -- i.e. it's loud both inside and outside of the cabin with the Track Edition, and only loud on the outside with the Touring Edition. He does not that drone is present when rowing through the range, but when he kept it at a stable, constant RPM is did not drone. Drone with a Track Edition is to be expected at some point given everyone's anatomy is different... and as you know, drone is subjective.

Regarding the dyno data: thanks! Crank power figures can be see here for SwitchPath™ and here for Touring/Track Edition. Didn't want to over clutter the OP :tiphat:
Do you have any sound clips or can you explain Touring system with and without resonator sound/drone characteristics?

Cant seem to find a db comparisons on website...can you provide a link?

·
Vendor
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Damn these look nice. I have been tossing around the idea of an exhaust but have been stuck on the fence due to the lack of drone free/cruising friendly options. This might just be a good solution.....:smile:
The Resonated Touring Edition is thee solution, my friend!

Do you have any sound clips or can you explain Touring system with and without resonator sound/drone characteristics?

Cant seem to find a db comparisons on website...can you provide a link?
The video captured by CJ is the Non-Resonated Touring Edition, and our video is the Resonated Touring Edition. The sophisticated, rich tone remains regardless of the mid pipe. The non-resonated variant has a bit more "bite" as one could likely presume, while also being heard more in the cabin. The resonated variant is smooth and well-rounded, and loud when you want it while being completely quiet on the highway. It is the ultimate no-compromise configuration.

We don't capture dB levels because they're a bit irrelevant. dB levels can and will be different when measured in different environments. If you're curious as to which configuration is louder, we can tell ya. If you're in need of them for track purposes, dB levels must be captured at said track's capturing station, and would be different at another track's station. Hope that makes sense :)

Is this the same AWE Tuning company I'm familiar with from Audi products?
Safe to say it is. Hello! :tiphat:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Introducing the AWE Focus Performance Line. Available now.

Hey everyone, my RS was used as the dev car so I can speak to the quality and sound performance of these exhausts. As anyone who has past experience with AWE in the Euro scene can tell you, their products are always excellent quality!

I ended up choosing the resonated Touring version to stay on my car, but they all sound great. I chose the resonated Touring because I felt it had the most consistent tone and linear volume progression across the rpm range. It produces a really deep growl without being over powering, but don't get me wrong when you get on it it is not quiet! Those looking for something that's mild to wild without the valve should look no further. Most importantly to me, it has no drone whatsoever!

However anyone looking for a little broader sound profile or the ability to retain the valve should definitely consider the SwitchPath. I would say that with the valve closed it's noticeably quieter than the Touring and with the valve open slightly louder.

Another bonus for me was that I wanted something with black tips and AWE's Diamond Black is really nice. It's kind of like a black chrome.

If anyone has any questions for someone who's been running the touring exhaust for about 4 months just let me know.

1 - 20 of 304 Posts