Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 316 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
If the RS gets released with a mechanical front LSD for 2017, I will be kind of upset. As my understanding the 2016, will not have one.
Why do you think 2017 will have one...

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
The latest version of the Twin Ster-system in the Focus RS detected driving situation and driver demand and regulates this optimal torque distribution to each wheel. If the wheel drive is activated,
Twin Ster drives the rear wheels faster than the front wheels
hopefully we can play with the twin ster ratios. not sure whats to gain but it would be fun to excessively drive the rear wheels faster than the front.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Imagine thinking how EVO X had the AYC finally.....and then it turns out Evo 9 was the better buy/keep in my oppinion.

If the Focus RS satisfies your wants at the moment, buy it. Usually as they upgrade from generation to generation, things go bad/good.

For example Mk5 GTI was awesome, then Mk6 GTI had undefeatable traction control which sucked, only to move on to Mk7 which had awesome everything but the Interior seems like a downgrade from the previous 2 generations.....

Each generation has its good and bad so just pick the one you like.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yes, that's a big statement
Right. I cant see them making huge changes from a 2016 model year to a 2017. Maybe a tech feature or two, maybe a power bump of 5 or something but not a front LSD. Unless they plan on doing a completely different variation (IE R500) but not to just a "regular" RS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Insider in the Ford company.

They only said, Ford is planing something with the drivetrain. And it will be build after the holidays, and that is in August.

I wanted to know, what it is too, but got no answer, we are thinking that it is probably a DSG

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Insider in the Ford company.

They only said, Ford is planing something with the drivetrain. And it will be build after the holidays, and that is in August.

I wanted to know, what it is too, but got no answer, we are thinking that it is probably a DSG
I don't drag, I dont DSG. just say no!
one thing I've learned in life is that there is no reason to wait for what might be, especially when there is only hearsay proof.
even if a 2017 has something the 2016 doesnt, I will have no regrets and zero F's given.

·
Super Moderator
15,369 Posts
Found this info and translation to English, earlier link isn't working for me.

GKN Automotive, the world leader in powertrain technologies, has developed a new version of its twin Ster torque vectoring all-wheel system for the Ford Focus RS. The combination of translation offset and innovative control algorithms provides improved torque vectoring functionality and helped Ford to develop a vehicle with outstanding driving dynamics performance.

The specially developed for the Ford Focus RS Twin Ster technology will be presented at the booth of GKN (H 5.1, B32) at the IAA Frankfurt.

Peter Moelgg, President Engineering of GKN Automotive, commented: "The all-wheel technology and the Torque Vectoring expertise of GKN help vehicle manufacturers in the process of opening up new areas with their models. Especially for vehicles with high performance is the intelligent all-wheel drive to the drive technology par excellence; it is the most effective way the power, precision to bring, efficiently and intelligently to the road. "

GKN was awarded the contract for the Ford Focus RS program only 18 months before the launch. During this time the engineers at GKN the rear axle torque vectoring (RDM) and the Power Transfer Unit (PTU) and the CVJ side shafts have developed and integrated into the front-wheel drive-based platform. To the system in the existing space to "packagen", a deep feature integration of the system components required. The GKN software and calibration teams have jointly developed with Ford vehicle dynamics engineers new control algorithms for the Torque Vectoring system to provide such a drive train with four different driving modes can.

Dr. Ray Kuczera, GKN Driveline Vice President Global Product Technology, said: "GKN is the only manufacturer with the know-how and the ability to deliver these different hardware and provide the vehicle by integrating software and performance calibrations. To provide torque vectoring systems of this quality, it requires engineers to understand the dynamics and have the ability to work together with car manufacturers on vehicle level. The result of this partnership with Ford shows how powertrain innovations affect the driving dynamics and can heave the handling performance to new levels. "

How the system works by GKN
When Ford Focus RS a wheel system GKN with PTU and a rear axle with twin Ster-coupling system is used. GKN's Twin Ster technology can distribute wheel-selective torque to the wheels. This allows dynamic torque vectoring capabilities of the vehicle over the entire speed range.

The latest version of the Twin Ster-system in the Focus RS detected driving situation and driver demand and regulates this optimal torque distribution to each wheel. If the wheel drive is activated, Twin Ster drives the rear wheels faster than the front wheels.

This effect changes the driving characteristics and handling fundamentally. In curves the twin Ster technology allows more agile oversteering and a direct response to the driver's commands. In Ford "Drift mode" distributes the wheel drive system even more torque to the rear axle in order to settle so enough power to the wheels of the RS and to allow a controlled drift through corners.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,369 Posts
I find it interesting that GKN Driveline North America is in Mebane, NC. Curious to see what and if they have any involvement with the current FoRS system.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
This is something I found a while ago and I think it is on the forum already, but not sure so I'll post it

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
If that picture, st2focus posted, is of the RS unit it may have the electric pump that allows for rear wheel power from a stop. I am hoping they go that route for AWD launches. If they use input shaft driven pump you have to have some speed (or spinning) to engage rear wheels.

Also, I drive right by Mebane on 85/40 every couple months.

·
Super Moderator
15,369 Posts
Another shot of the PTU and Twinster:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 316 Posts
About this Discussion
315 Replies
53 Participants
tedsRS
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing