Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From a "FocusRS Presentation" slide show of Ford's, recently uploaded in PDF form on a British forum - some interesting facts I had not seen before about the dampers.
Dual-mode damper technology allows a wider spread of damper settings compared to CCD systems
•Sport mode is 40% firmer –provides optimum control and very flat handling on smooth, race track type conditions
•Normal mode offers similar comfort levels to Focus ST
(The CCD acronym here refers to continuously controlled damper systems like Chevy's MRC.)

Looks like Sport mode will be brutal - no wonder we see very little body lean when the RS is being flailed on the track. That track performance would not have been possible with one mode dampers as they would had to have been softened significantly for daily road use.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does anyone know if these dampers can be 'retuned'. If I never take it to the track i'd love to be able to soften the track setting. Seems a shame having dual-mode and not being able to use it.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Does anyone know if these dampers can be 'retuned'. If I never take it to the track i'd love to be able to soften the track setting. Seems a shame having dual-mode and not being able to use it.
I won't even be able to use it on my local track. Sebring is not exactly known for it's smoothness.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Does anyone know if these dampers can be 'retuned'.
Doesn't look like it. The unit that Tenneco is providing for the RS has a single valve that is either opened or closed. Tenneco is offering an adjustable damper for "luxury cars" that has two valves (one for compression and one for rebound), that appears to have more possible settings.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I won't even be able to use it on my local track. Sebring is not exactly known for it's smoothness.
I've driven the GT350R a couple times now at Laguna Seca...it's a fairly smooth track...but even the pro drivers I was with were running the dampers in 'sport' setting versus 'track' setting. I think the 'sport' setting on the RS will be appropriate for only the smoothest of surfaces.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I've driven the GT350R a couple times now at Laguna Seca...it's a fairly smooth track...but even the pro drivers I was with were running the dampers in 'sport' setting versus 'track' setting. I think the 'sport' setting on the RS will be appropriate for only the smoothest of surfaces.
Oh man...lucky you!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I drove it on the track setting at Sebring, but it was the club course so you don't touch T1 and T17 :(

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I do wish the normal setting was a little bit firmer then the ST. Damping aside though, if everything else is firmed up a good amount like the bushings I think it will be fine. A problem I have with the ST is that the stock dampers are kind of junk, Low speed damping is very poor and leads you to believe the vehicle is oversprung.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Could the fluid be switched out for an oil of lower viscosity? Have the effect of softening sport to something more versitile on tarmac and make normal soft enough for <cough> dirt? Cons?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Could the fluid be switched out for an oil of lower viscosity? Have the effect of softening sport to something more versitile on tarmac and make normal soft enough for <cough> dirt? Cons?
I don't know about the "oil change"; but, if you wanted a little more of a rally car, I think you'd need more travel; not just decreased compression and/or rebound. That's not going to happen with the stock dampers.

·
Registered
555 Posts
So did you drive the gt350r in track mode? How much firmer than sport?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts