Ford Focus RS Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I was literally taking a mental note for myself when I decide to go one way or another, jesus christ you're on edge
You said "backyard" it sounded derogatory, like I should be ashamed for not doing this in a garage or driveway. Just not a luxury I have right now, hopefully once I move.

You said "backyard" it sounded derogatory, like I should be ashamed for not doing this in a garage or driveway. Just not a luxury I have right now, hopefully once I move.
Nah, I'm a "backyard" mech too. I can count on one hand how many time's I've had access to a hoist. Everything is in a driveway, on stands, off a floor jack. Exactly why I was honestly interested because it's something I'd like to tackle at some point. So thanks for spending the money on the equipment so I don't have to. (y)
We're all on the same team here dood. Kiss and makeup

The thing with this adapter is that its to big for the valve port, it covers 2 valve ports at the same time, i figured that would be an issue when sucking the walnut media.
i asked the guy who i ordered the tool from to 3D print one so it would cover 1 port at a time.
i will be doing this proceedure sometime this week and see how it goes.

Right that makes sense, but I noticed that even when I pulled the walnut gun nozzle out of the vacuum attachment hole it would still not suck up the walnut shells that were deeper down in the port around the valve.
I did briefly try a narrow vacuum attachment that can go deep down in the port, only problem was that allowed the walnut shells to go EVERYWHERE when blasting. Maybe next time I'll use a bed sheet to cover up the engine bay area and cut a slit in it for the intake ports.
Here's a better picture of what that vacuum attachment looks like in case you're curious...

View attachment 354512

View attachment 354513

Update:
i just finished doing this on my engine, and here a few tips in case someone else wants to do this again.
1.- make sure you set your compressor to 100psi and treat your sand blaster as gravity feed, needs to be high up.
2.- use fine grade walnut media
3.- get a long extension to blast the media as close to the valve as possible
4.- get a long extension for your air to clean the media that the vacuum can’t remove.
5.- cover your alternator, media goes everywhere, so you want to make sure you cover vital component.
6.- the vacuum will not remove every piece of walnut media, you need to get an extension and blast the intake valve with compressed air to clean it.
7.- the last step is to clean it with brake cleaner and use the compressed air to clean the runner and intake valve as the media will leave some dust.

wasn’t looking for perfection but I think it turned out well

air extension

Discussion starter · #33 ·
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.