Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Gotta admit I've never heard of this process. Why would you do this? Better flow after blasting, valves carboned/gunked up? :unsure:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Gotta admit I've never heard of this process. Why would you do this? Better flow after blasting, valves carboned/gunked up? :unsure:
It's a fairly common method of cleaning carbon build up on valves and much easier than having to use chemicals and manually agitating with different sized brushes.

OP, would be curious to see a before and after pic of your valves and hear how it goes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I to would love to see before and after pics how many miles you have on your RS I just crossed 50k thinking it might be time to do mine

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Plan on blasting the valves soon (following this guide here) but just have a couple questions..

1. What size is our crank bolt? Is it 21mm like the ST?
2. Is it very easy to tell when a valve is completely closed?

I think I have everything I need..

View attachment 353950
I "think" its 21mm cant remember which isn't much help to you. You can easily see the valves close as you turn the engine over manually looking down the inlet.
Ciao

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can also look down the spark plug hole and shine a bright flash light through the valve side till you don’t see the light anymore to let you know the valves are closed might need a second set of hands to make it easier

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When your friend is never available because they work too much and you just say ”F*** it I'll buy my own tools"...

So now the job got a little more expensive but that's fine, you know damn well I'll use my new tools for many years to come.
Depending on how I'm feeling I will try to do it this weekend. Yes I will take before and after pictures (that's half the fun right?). I appreciate the replies to my questions thank you, hopefully it should all go smoothly.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update

Unfortunately I just didn't have the time over the weekend and my RS went into the body shop yesterday for a deer accident that happened in June (shop was booked up). They'll likely have it for at least 2 weeks so the valve blasting is postponed until then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts