Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Insurance rates for RS

Tags
insurance
117K views 355 replies 188 participants last post by  DARTH55 
#1 ·
Anyone have any idea what the insurance rates will be like. Clean record myself. But don't know how they treat a car such as this? Any insight? Just want a have some kind of idea. Thanks

#8 ·
I pay $77 per month on a Genesis Coupe 3.8 R Spec. That is also a 350hp car, but it's not just about performance. It's safety features as well, but it's mainly about the cost of replacement and repair. I would estimate 25 to 35% higher than an FoST depending upon specifications.

#3 ·
If you have previously owned a Focus ST, I would say it should be close.
However, it depends on multiple factors, no one could tell you for certain outside your insurance company.
State, county, town, driving record, etc.. All come into play with this.
Talk to your insurance company rep for an exact figure.

#10 · (Edited)
I have talked to mine concerning the future increase, being they don't have a RS in the system, I asked to do it based on value of $40k for grins.

I'm paying $53 mth/$319 semi annually, for just liability on '02 Focus, '89 Merk, and '72 Spitfire...if they only knew what was under the hood...shhhhhh

Now the quote is $91 or $546 semi annually, and yes comp and collision on the RS

Don't really see how it could be more accident prone that a ST, will handle better and stay out of the ditches, off the poles.....I guess there will be some idiots that will loose it:p. But no statistics to base....yet

#14 ·
You guys think a new STi would be comparable? Most insurance companies have that on their site for an available vehicle to get a quote for.

#15 ·
24 when I got my FoST w/ clean driving record. St. Louis, MO. Minimum requirements for full coverage had me at $65/mo. with Geico.

#19 ·
Shesh. Did a few quotes online and they were not pretty. Male, 23, one speeding ticket when I was 17-18 yo maybe. For a new STi it was 205 a month, but weirdly a Golf R was about 120. Used S4 was 140.

#25 ·
I'm hoping it's closer to the FoST than the Golf R for me. USAA considers the FoST a station wagon and insurance is fairly inexpensive. The Golf R was the complete opposite.

USAA does not have the RS info yet so I'm still holding on.

#31 · (Edited)
I'm under 30 with a '13 Focus ST. Clean record. I pay $1,355 per year. This is comparable to my roommate who has a 2014 SE and paid over $10k less than I did. I'm not posting limits...but it's above the minimum required by my State.

Once insurance companies have updated their systems and there are VINs available online, any big insurer should be able to give you an estimate using the Year/Make/Model and VIN of any FoRS.

#32 ·
Once insurance companies have updated their systems and there are VINs available online, any big insurer should be able to give you an estimate using the Year/Make/Model and VIN of any FoRS.
Anyone have an idea when that might be?

#33 ·
I guess it will depend on how the RS fares in crash tests. Before I bought my SRT-4, I had a tC and was pricing out STIs and I checked with my insurance company (Liberty Mutual). It was going to be $300 a year LESS to insure an STI than it was to insure my tC. They knew it was high performance, but they also considered that it was AWD and had four doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#35 ·
I might be able to offer some insight. I am an independent Insurance broker for a living. So what you are going to see happen is that the prices are going to be a bit erratic because there isnt going to be a ton of data on them when they first come out. This will settle down after about a year. One of the biggest things insurance companies look at are cost new on cars, so at 40k it will be considered a mid market range so that will not be too painful.

Another thing is that most companies that I work with have not even made much of an adjustment for the ST at this point. They insure them for a very similar premium as they would any other focus. Now when you are young no matter what you drive, premiums are going to be high.

But lets take my example of demographics, so generally it is going to be cheaper for someone in their 20s to insure a corvette then it would be to insure a mustang gt. Mainly due to the fact that crash statistics state that people in their 20s crash mustangs a lot, where as very few people in their 20s own corvettes so their statistics are much better. This was actually a case I had a few months ago and the difference was staggering.

I see this style of question asked a lot of different forums. The issue is there are a million different factors that go in to car insurance in all different regions for there to be a blanket "will this be expensive" answer.

The main factors that insurance companies look at are:
Driving record
Region you live in
The regions crime and income statistics
Crash symbol aka cost new
Are you married? Married couples tend to be safer.
Do you have a house? Home owners tend to be more stable
Previous insurance limits, if you are state minimum limits, premium per 100k is more because it show poor financial responsibility.
Which state do you live in, and what are their rules around insurance (all insurance policies are governed by the state not the feds)

The list goes on and on. I hope this help some folks!

#36 ·
oaktonarcher...

Great first post. I think you've summed it up real well there.

#39 ·
Thank you all.

One last thing I forgot to add, what is also important is appetite of the insurance company. So the best advice I can give, if you are young look at Progressive, Geico, and National General (formerly GMAC), Mercury. They like younger drivers (under 25), they also don't put a lot of faith in credit scores, and they generally are very forgiving for tickets.

If you have good credit, 25+, and are married. I would look at companies like MSA group or Alfa Alliance (in VA) these are preferred lines carriers and tend to drop insurance rates in half from companies like Progressive. You will find these companies by calling local independent insurance brokers. They generally be able to save you a lot of money, most people believe we charge for our services but the truth is we are paid by insurance companies. And the pay is about the same from company to company so generally there is not bias towards any given carrier.

#42 ·
All you need to tell them is "Ford Focus - family car. 4 door, great safety features , brand new".
I currently pay 217 for 2 cars (2013 Civic SI and 2014 Mazda 3)- they dont care to look at the HP.

#45 ·
When the STi first came out my friend had one and they insured it as a base impreza by accident. A year later they figured it out and he had to sell...he was 17.

#46 ·
I've got a call into my agent for an estimate. I'll post what I hear back. I'm expecting to hear that they can't tell me anything yet. Here's to hoping they lump it in with the other Focii.

#51 ·
I am thinking it may be lower than the ST. The ST is very popular amongst 18 - 24 year olds, thus having a higher risk. The RS is hopefully priced out of that demographics reach, and thus will be driven by late 20's into late 30's guys with families, etc, thus reducing the overall perceived risk of the demographic driving the car.

It's the same reason even as a early 20's kid, a corvette isn't that much to insure. All the 45+ year old guys that have them keep the overall risk rate lower for that vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.