Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry no posts in a while, flat out with life

fitted mountune m380 kit recently! amazing and love it!
----
- better sound (intake, turbo whistle)
- i didnt need or use the SSC, no whistle at idle etc, i like all the noises i hear
- i didnt remove the sounded deadening under bonnet, as FLIR images said not to IMO
- massively impressed, my RS would drop down to 1.2, 1.1 bar of boost on cold nights (3 degrees) and sometimes peak 1.4 on warmer days. I hoped it was torque targets. On the m380 tune it now hits a solid 1.75bar - 1.85 bar all time, no matter the temps, no matter the gear (except 1st). its also much much more torquey and much faster to 100. who knows, maybe my stock recirc vale was leaking before, now this thing is an animal.
- nice quiet recirc valve just a little whoosh. spring is way firmer than stock and has smoothed some part throttle out (or maybe that's the map).
- throaty intake sound now
- more pops/bangs in sport and track, but quietened a bit in normal, great setup
- i find the consistent and much higher (for me) boost levels to be a big improvement, as is the very very obvious jump in torque and top end. its a lot faster between corners for me and i kept getting caught 20-30km/h too fast at first on known routes
- here's some pics of my fitment, i followed the only youtube tutorial i could find haha.
----

Here's the pics/quick tips list:
- youtube the m380 fitment tutorial, turn the music off (hah) and pause it at each spot to do the same. it works well apart from not showing filter or nightmare recirc vale location.
- intake pipes easy to fit, ofc filter easy to fit
- clamps on upper intake got in way of engine cover upon refit, had to rotate them down a bit, watch for this
- update your accessport manager on the computer before also upgrading the AP's firmware upon first connection, before flashing your car
- flash the car while battery is full
- only real thing to watch for is fitting the recirc vale. a) its a bastard spot, and b) the O rings dont really want to sit down unless you put something on them to grease them in there or something. dont let them fall out like they want to while fitting it back.
- by bastard spot i mean take the front-right wheel off (driver's wheel in australia) and its through a hole in the suspension and guard. deep in there. with torx screws holding it in. fun times. but make sure you do it i think.

----

stock engine bay

stock car (lol obv still looks this way ;p)

box (note this is an fpm375 kit but i upgraded to m380 tune via a code supplied as fpm375 flash wouldnt apply to my late-2017 build's ECU). same hardware though, some pics show different colour piping but i prefer this nice black :)

mountune mtune (aka cobb AP V3) with FMR firmware applying latest M380 maps:

you'll see weird dash msgs while flashing

pipe comparison, m380 piping much fatter in one spot and seems to have less overall bend. note all pipes fit great

quick check MAP/sensor looks OK post filter, it does

rotated air filter so 'seam' not in the main intake path technically speaking, anal level 100/100

mountune replacement recirc valve, weird hey? very tight spring when test-pushing piston in/out. careful to make sure those seals stay in during the bastard install haha :)

sigh yes this is where the recirc valve must go. too easy wasnt it.

this is what it looks like after lots of swearing or if you're really lucky only a little bit. stock recirc valve removed. oh i removed the floor too as the stock valve just popped out and fell onto it sigh.

this is the standard recirc valve (retrieved from floor fall-location lol). very soft spring compared to mountune valve.

mountune recirc valve in-place fitted. kit finished install! this was a bastard to get to and install, tempting to skip for later but i suspect well worth it.

mountune mtune mounted near OBD2 port (for aus cars). but i remove the controller at all times, too obvious. just leave the mount there via 2 sided taps. would be handy for some perf figure runs or data logging in that location :)

FINISHED ENGINE BAY hurray

finished car parked with evo8 i found in a car park. unsurprisingly my car looks the same outside as before (and equally awesome i may add, though biased hahaha)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
maybe this could be moved to a tech area too. cheers sorry it took forever to get the image links sorted & now 4am... :)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Thanks for the info Travis. What would all this cost in AUS, apart from your own time, anxiety, cursing and frustration?.........

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Travis. What would all this cost in AUS, apart from your own time, anxiety, cursing and frustration?.........
hi mate
this was about $1390 for the kit I believe and it also landed with $391 (!) to pay in import duties at customs. paid those and it arrived promptly
that said I don't know how long people will be able to order the (cheaper) fpm375 and get the free upgrade to the m380 via the AP code as this time it was mountune's mistake. I think otherwise it would run you an additional $420 or so.

I'd budget $2200 for it all with the duties if you directly order the m380. or you can play dumb and order the fpm375 and send support enquiry when it won't flash your aus ECU like a couple others found out the hard way, mountune do seem to issue a free update in that case. you only need the extra $80 SSC in that case.

anyone should be able to complete this install im thinking, you will of course need torx screwdriver(s) and some different shaped pliers for that recirc valve hoseclamp (its so painfully tight in there), and you'll want a longer flex torx for the air filter box and some normal flatheads for the clamps.

its well well worth it i have to say. I ordered a spare K&N replacement off the K&N parts store too (mountune were out of stock).
apologies if this thread gets lost I posted a dupe in the tech section

1 - 8 of 8 Posts