Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howy all - Recently installed a Turbosmart 50/50 BOV and the accompanying BRA - that all seems fine... Only exception is I seem to get a slight "warble" sound under medium throttle/back off, is this an indication that the valve is opening too easily? I have a K&N Cold Intake assembly and Borla ATAK cat-back as the only other mods. Is adding another turn ( towards harder) in order?

Thoughts?

Cheers...

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Did you try all the way tight, less 1 full turn. That was the recommended setting back when i installed mine.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Did you try all the way tight, less 1 full turn. That was the recommended setting back when i installed mine.
Exactly how i set mine and it's perfect.

I did not install the BRA

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a very similar setup to yours, TS dualport, BRA, K&N intake, Injen catback. With the BRA, it is very easy to get turbo flutter noises coming back through the intake (which is very open and accentuates noise). Especially partial throttle/low to midrange, you're likely not producing enough boost to have sufficient positive pressure for the vacuum line to actually pull open the valve when you close the throttle. Monitoring mine via OBDII, I'll usually get venting above like 2 lbs of boost, anything below that and the turbo will just flutter back through the intake. I suspect that's what you're hearing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just started installing mods on my RS, recently, and I'm new to tinkering with cars, myself (pls show mercy X3). Similar setup to what has been posted:
TS 50/50 BOV + pink spring
BRA
K&N intake.

I just installed the intake and I noticed the flutter, afterwards on a test drive. It holds boost when accelerating and only flutters off the throttle, but it's not ideal. I run the BOV pretty light, but tomorrow morning I'm going to try and run it tight to see if it fixes the issue (just got home from a test run so everything is hot). If not, I'll probably bypass the MAP and go back to a stock ref setup to see if that fixes it.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just started installing mods on my RS, recently, and I'm new to tinkering with cars, myself (pls show mercy X3). Similar setup to what has been posted:
TS 50/50 BOV + pink spring
BRA
K&N intake.

I just installed the intake and I noticed the flutter, afterwards on a test drive. It holds boost when accelerating and only flutters off the throttle, but it's not ideal. I run the BOV pretty light, but tomorrow morning I'm going to try and run it tight to see if it fixes the issue (just got home from a test run so everything is hot). If not, I'll probably bypass the MAP and go back to a stock ref setup to see if that fixes it.

Thoughts?
Thanks!
If you are running the bra you should be using the original spring that the bov came with. The pink spring is firmer and the flutter comes from the bov being tightened too tight mixed with the firmer spring.

ADJUSTING YOUR BOV
The aim of the adjustment on the Dual port is to make sure that the piston is hard closed at idle and that the piston closes fast enough to minimize backfiring and not stall the engine. In most cases, the cap is in the correct position from factory but with certain engine modifications, springs changes are required to tune the performance of the valve to the turbo system.

Adjustment to the BOV is made by rotating the cap. To increase the spring force on the piston, rotate the cap clockwise in the direction of hard as marked on the top of the cap. To decrease the spring force on the piston, rotate the cap anticlockwise in the direction of soft as marked on the top of the cap -CAUTION-Do not rotate the cap beyond the O-Ring groove. Once it is confirmed that the piston is fully closed at idle, perform the following adjustment procedure.

Start with the BOV cap at the maximum soft position (The O-Ring should be completely covered by the edge of the cap)
With the engine at idle the exhaust portshould be closed off by the piston –the piston should be hard against the seat and not floating or moving
Free rev the engine and back off quickly, the engine should return to normal idle speed –if the engine drops below idle or stalls increase the spring tension by one turn
Repeat this process until the engine free revs and returns to normal idle speed
Test drive the car and ensure that when decelerating or changing gears that the engine has minimal backfiring and no stalling. If backfiring is excessive or stalling is noticed then check all connections made during the installation, otherwise increase the spring tension

·
Registered
45 Posts
Straight from Adam at tune+ and from turbosmart themselves I was told to crank it till you just see the o ring and then one full turn in. That's with the standard spring and the BRA. I don't get any flutter or release when driving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts