Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to do a quick review of the Inbay Wireless Charger for the Focus RS. I know some of us have installed it, but I'm just noting a few things I encountered.

I bought if off eBay for about 90 bucks. I decided to switch cuz the OEM pocket won't fit the Powerbeats Pro, so it's useless to me. At least now my friends can charge their phones. I won't ever use it because I need Android Auto. It's designed with the CAD files Ford supplied them, so it's a perfect fit.

Install is pretty straightforward (no photos cuz their instructions are pretty good). You remove everything like you're putting in a new shift tower, but then you unscrew two screws from the back of the shifter/ac cover and the OEM pocket should pop off with some lifting of tabs. On the install though, be careful because the triangles that the tabs hook on to do tend to deform. I cracked a tab because I tried to force it over a hook.

The plastic is a stiffer plastic vs the rubber of the OEM pocket, so it scratches with fingernails. Mine's a little polished already. The USB port isn't as flush like the OEM unit, but it won't pop into the abyss if you plug a cable in. So it's fine. Just.

I did have one issue with this unit though.

The wireless key fob controller thingy widget won't stay down when the unit is installed. When the unit is not installed, the top flexes down, so it won't even slide in. To get it to this position, I had to whittle a little off of the alignment posts. When I get back I plan on sanding down the plastic standoffs which are way too tall, and use some two sided foam mounting tape to affix the key fob controller thingy widget to the top of the pocket.

I had some issue seating the connector to the cigarette lighter, but nothing I couldn't handle. I forgot to tie things down, so there's some rattle in there.

The rubber mat also came off after the first use, probably due to the heat from charging. I plan on using some contact cement for a more permanent attachment.
Maybe I received an older unit, but overall I'm pretty happy with this thing.

Verdict: 5/7 would buy again.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanks for the in depth review. I've been hesitant to order as it was a shot in the dark.

Definitely will consider ordering now.

Question, what size phones will it fit? S10+ ??

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I encountered this problem today and wanted to leave my fix here in case anyone runs into it again. I had to cut down more than one of locating supports to get the antenna to sit flush and not have any bowing of the cubby.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Automotive wheel system Auto part

Photograph Black Wood Finger Font

Motor vehicle White Automotive tire Font Wood

1 - 4 of 4 Posts