Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Head Gasket Only or HG + Head?

• Replaced Head Gasket Only

Votes: 269 56.2%
  • Replaced Head Gasket AND Head

Votes: 125 26.1%
  • Don't know waiting to be seen

Votes: 31 6.5%
  • Pressure Test completed, waiting on parts.

Votes: 54 11.3%
3401 - 3410 of 3410 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Yah, I understand. I also know it's tough to be patient and understanding when you get told "No, not covered" by the first step in what I think is a valid claim. Ford corporate can't really do much if there isn't a record of an issue. Hence a need to bypass the dealer.

In my educated guess, they forgot to torque the motor mount nut when replacing the head gasket recall work. It vibrated off or stripped out due to excessive engine movement (via engine torque over time) and don't want to fess up. Why not keep the failed part? I requested to see it and figured Ford's engineers would too. Counterfeit nuts and bolts are a thing so keep it and look into it. Unless it didn't fail and trying to explain why a properly torqued nut came off and dropped the motor on the drive axel.

The biggest thing though is the culture of this dealership which reflects back on the parent company. Now I am trying to give Ford Corp the chance to step in. I just need to be able to talk to someone that can actually do something.
It's quite simple, from my experience with these knobs.
They don't give a [email protected] until you make a noise loud enough.
Don't back down and stick to your guns, that worked for me, it just took time....and some patience, as hard as it may be to not fly off the handle.

Reactions: GmpaJimj

·
Registered
732 Posts
Question for guys with repeat trips:

If they just take off the timing cover and re-seal it, how long before it leaks again? Or are there instances where it stays good?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Question for guys with repeat trips:

If they just take off the timing cover and re-seal it, how long before it leaks again? Or are there instances where it stays good?
Thats usually not how it's done,or where most leaks are from... the extra sealant is put on top of the head gasket before the timing cover goes on.
Thats how my oil leak was fixed anyway.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Thats usually not how it's done,or where most leaks are from... the extra sealant is put on top of the head gasket before the timing cover goes on.
Thats how my oil leak was fixed anyway.
Yeah I see the revised manual. But I'm wondering specifically, if they don't redo the HG and just re-seal the cover, if it's just a matter of time I have to go back, and how long it might be.

Doesn't really matter that much; I plan to sleeve, cam, and rebuild engine and transaxle in the medium future (about a year from now). Just curious if it'll keep it in till then.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
If the oil leak doesn't stem from the cover though, which most / almost all, don't, why are the doing a dodgy fix that has nothing to do with where the actual leak is coming from??
Seems stupid to me...

·
Registered
732 Posts
If the oil leak doesn't stem from the cover though, which most / almost all, don't, why are the doing a dodgy fix that has nothing to do with where the actual leak is coming from??
Seems stupid to me...
Fair. I suppose is should mention, I suspect it's the HG repair, but the tech doing it says it's a front cover leak. I was under the impression they are one and the same.

I had a chat with the dude and he seemed like he knew what he was doing, so fingers crossed I guess.

Either way, coming apart in about a year so. Whatevs.

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
348 Posts
Dealer tech said the dye was coming from my timing cover too. It did seem ok at first (like for a few days), but I think it was just because the engine was all cleaned up that it took that long to start bleeding and accumulating again. In about a week I had a drip hanging off my drain banjo again. I also think mine leaks more in the winter, and I think that's probably because of the cold oil pressure. Maybe? I think so anyways....

·
Registered
732 Posts
Dealer tech said the dye was coming from my timing cover too. It did seem ok at first (like for a few days), but I think it was just because the engine was all cleaned up that it took that long to start bleeding and accumulating again. In about a week I had a drip hanging off my drain banjo again. I also think mine leaks more in the winter, and I think that's probably because of the cold oil pressure. Maybe? I think so anyways....
Good to know. I'll do a check two weeks and a month after they finish.

It was funny mine wasn't leaking that much when I was driving it, even though I always see the grime. I've had it up on stands for the past few months and it started dripping.

·
Registered
2017 Focus RS RS2 SG "Stella" - numerous minor mods...2016 F150 FX4XLT3.5T SC PW "Bear" - minor mods
10 Posts
Yes exactly.. And what I told the service rep. He didn’t at knowledge or deny the existence of the issue and supplement and the date on when that came out. I also was not able / allowed to talk to the technician back in the shop directly and or convince the service rep that I thought this was the primary concern / issue.. Hence why I am doubtful that the timing cover alone is going to fix my issue.. We’ll see. I’ll report again late in the month..
I had not followed up on this and my results should at least be mentioned. Especially with the recent conversations about front covers. Wendell had the car for a couple of days late in January . Met the schedule that they committed to. Lo and behold the car has been dry now for many months. Since then, approximately 1700 miles including one track day (at ORP). Not a lot of mileage. But I hope too keep this “trend” going. I will be doing at least one more track day this year,
but for now I can't complain too much about the current results or too much about the process at Wendell.

3401 - 3410 of 3410 Posts