Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Head Gasket Only or HG + Head?

• Replaced Head Gasket Only

Votes: 269 56.2%
  • Replaced Head Gasket AND Head

Votes: 125 26.1%
  • Don't know waiting to be seen

Votes: 31 6.5%
  • Pressure Test completed, waiting on parts.

Votes: 54 11.3%
3381 - 3400 of 3410 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I had my yearly revision.
They changed all the fluids, except engine oil as this was changed in December.
RDU/PTU/Gearbox, Brake flush, everything is mint. Including the standard revision + labour+ the extras I asked for = 965 EUR.

The guys looked at my engine and said it has never been so dry. In the past after every fix there some spots here and there but now is as dry as a new car from factory.
I explained that celebrations are not yet in order.
I am trying to book a track day at Spa or the Ring as soon as the weather allows and we see then if it leaks or not.
In the meantime, enjoy the pricing in my area :).

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I had my yearly revision.
They changed all the fluids, except engine oil as this was changed in December.
RDU/PTU/Gearbox, Brake flush, everything is mint. Including the standard revision + labour+ the extras I asked for = 965 EUR.

The guys looked at my engine and said it has never been so dry. In the past after every fix there some spots here and there but now is as dry as a new car from factory.
I explained that celebrations are not yet in order.
I am trying to book a track day at Spa or the Ring as soon as the weather allows and we see then if it leaks or not.
In the meantime, enjoy the pricing in my area :).

View attachment 349178

View attachment 349179
View attachment 349180
View attachment 349181
good to hear. I agree...a proper track day will be the true test. good luck.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Had my first test with the car today.
Drove it for 1 hour at speeds between 100 and 120 mph.
I was not shy to use the rev range to over 6500 with my piper cams.
The result?
It has been this dry prior my first intervention in 2018.
Since then I always had a few spots here and there.
Next stop track day in 3 weeks.
I booked a 4 hours stint at the local Goodyear Track where they test their UHP tires in Central Europe.
I reconsidered and did not book Spa or the Ring as it will be easier to get a tow truck should the vehicle break down.
If all is well, I hit the Ring in April.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have to wonder about that too. I went through the head/gasket dance twice, new heads both times. I'm not recalling if "out of tolerance for a good seal" was reasoning given either time, but both times the car was eating coolant & wouldn't hold pressure, so my suspicion is that it probably was out of tolerance both times. But speaking to what others have been saying for some time now, I think that at least as much of all of this falls on the level of care & attention that is given to the process by the tech in charge of the job. It may be anecdotal, but what I've gone through with my car makes me believe that the first job was (in the best, most diplomatic way that I can put it) f-ed up by the person that did it. The second time was a completely different level of attention to detail & care, you wouldn't have even believed that it was the same service department it was so different. So I just wonder how many people out there didn't get that, & how their head & gasket will hold up after the crap-jobs that I suspect so many cars had done & not rectified. :unsure:

EDIT: I just looked at the poll on this thread for the first time in a long time. In retrospect, there should have been other options for "Replaced head and gasket multiple times". How sad is that?

As an individual looking to buy an rs now in Colorado I would be extremely interested to hear about such numbers. I'm very leary of buying one of these amazing vehicles for just that reason.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
As an individual looking to buy an rs now in Colorado I would be extremely interested to hear about such numbers. I'm very leary of buying one of these amazing vehicles for just that reason.
I think if I were looking to buy one of these cars, I would ask to take it to my mechanic to check out, and then in addition to all of the things that they would normally look at, I would ask them to do a pressure test on the coolant system and scope the cylinders. I don't know how much more you can do without tearing into the engine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think if I were looking to buy one of these cars, I would ask to take it to my mechanic to check out, and then in addition to all of the things that they would normally look at, I would ask them to do a pressure test on the coolant system and scope the cylinders. I don't know how much more you can do without tearing into the engine.

How frequently, if it all, can you request such diagnostics from ford under warranty?

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
I’m not sure. But I don’t think that it would be necessary if those things check out prior to buying it. The only reason that I can think of to have that done afterward would be if you start to see symptoms of head gasket failure like dropping coolant levels and/or the telltale white “smoke” on start up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just got mine replaced this week. It was covered under warranty but I have an extended warranty so maybe it was just covered by that. That warranty cost me about the same as getting a head gasket so it didn't really matter but it's still nice to not have to pay for it now. Hopefully it stays together.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got mine replaced this week. It was covered under warranty but I have an extended warranty so maybe it was just covered by that. That warranty cost me about the same as getting a head gasket so it didn't really matter but it's still nice to not have to pay for it now. Hopefully it stays together.

Do you, or anybody actually, know if they have to loosen the passenger motor mount nut to change out the head gasket? I had the my gasket changed out a year or so ago and just had the nut strip off (so I was told) and drop the motor onto the front passenger drive axel (breaking it). Thread in Maintenance. But this could be why the dealership is flatly denying my claim i.e. not even sending it to Ford to deny.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Do you, or anybody actually, know if they have to loosen the passenger motor mount nut to change out the head gasket? I had the my gasket changed out a year or so ago and just had the nut strip off (so I was told) and drop the motor onto the front passenger drive axel (breaking it). Thread in Maintenance. But this could be why the dealership is flatly denying my claim i.e. not even sending it to Ford to deny.
Sorry, I don't know what all is involved. I just dropped it off and picked it up.

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
Do you, or anybody actually, know if they have to loosen the passenger motor mount nut to change out the head gasket?
Yes you do, you remove it to reach some bolts holding the timing chain cover. Here's a time lapse of the process. Passenger mount is removed at 18:15.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes you do, you remove it to reach some bolts holding the timing chain cover. Here's a time lapse of the process. Passenger mount is removed at 18:15.
Absolutely perfect. You are the MAN!

It now makes sense why the dealership is being such Aholes. They changed the head gasket a year or so ago and the first thing the service tech asked was if anybody had been into the engine. Of course I responded with......"you guys, changing out the head gasket." Stonewalled ever since.

Who on this board is from Ford that I can converse with? Someone that can point me in a direction of trying to move this forward.

Thanks. Guys.

I'll spill the beans of which this dealership is when it's time.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
The whole front mount need to be removed, as does the front timing chain cover, the pulley, the timing chain, the tensioner, the oil pump drive, the HP fuel pump, the vacuum pump, the coil overs the rocker cover, the cams the turbo disconnected, the starter motor the inlet manifold. Then you can unbolt the head.

Ciao

·
Registered
7 Posts
The whole front mount need to be removed, as does the front timing chain cover, the pulley, the timing chain, the tensioner, the oil pump drive, the HP fuel pump, the vacuum pump, the coil overs the rocker cover, the cams the turbo disconnected, the starter motor the inlet manifold. Then you can unbolt the head.

Ciao
Thank you. This helps a lot.

I would like to know if there is a Ford rep that peruses this site that will respond with some info that will help me in contacting a warranty or service rep so I can bypass the dealer service manager I am being denied by. I am getting some help with Ford customer support, albeit those individuals are doing what they can without a "warranty ref number" in the system since they have no information to work with and I have to reiterate my issue to no avail.

Stonewalled at the dealer level.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Thank you. This helps a lot.

I would like to know if there is a Ford rep that peruses this site that will respond with some info that will help me in contacting a warranty or service rep so I can bypass the dealer service manager I am being denied by. I am getting some help with Ford customer support, albeit those individuals are doing what they can without a "warranty ref number" in the system since they have no information to work with and I have to reiterate my issue to no avail.

Stonewalled at the dealer level.
What is your general location in the US? (State?)

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
I was curious to know how far you were from Mi. There’s a reputable garage there.
Honestly, there have been a handful of people who have gotten help from, up the chain of command, in Ford, including myself. However, mine came with the help of the dealership, speaking for me.
My advice is, be verrry patient and polite.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was curious to know how far you were from Mi. There’s a reputable garage there.
Honestly, there have been a handful of people who have gotten help from, up the chain of command, in Ford, including myself. However, mine came with the help of the dealership, speaking for me.
My advice is, be verrry patient and polite.
Yah, I understand. I also know it's tough to be patient and understanding when you get told "No, not covered" by the first step in what I think is a valid claim. Ford corporate can't really do much if there isn't a record of an issue. Hence a need to bypass the dealer.

In my educated guess, they forgot to torque the motor mount nut when replacing the head gasket recall work. It vibrated off or stripped out due to excessive engine movement (via engine torque over time) and don't want to fess up. Why not keep the failed part? I requested to see it and figured Ford's engineers would too. Counterfeit nuts and bolts are a thing so keep it and look into it. Unless it didn't fail and trying to explain why a properly torqued nut came off and dropped the motor on the drive axel.

The biggest thing though is the culture of this dealership which reflects back on the parent company. Now I am trying to give Ford Corp the chance to step in. I just need to be able to talk to someone that can actually do something.

3381 - 3400 of 3410 Posts