Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Head Gasket Only or HG + Head?

• Replaced Head Gasket Only

Votes: 260 55.6%
  • Replaced Head Gasket AND Head

Votes: 124 26.5%
  • Don't know waiting to be seen

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Pressure Test completed, waiting on parts.

Votes: 53 11.3%

• Total voters
3261 - 3280 of 3283 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 17 RS with the build date before the gasket change was in place. It should have needed the recall, Carfax doesn't say anything, and it does have the right head gasket, I've checked. When unsure just physically check for it, not everything is reported on Carfax. I went through stressing too, don't rely on reports, just check for it.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have a fun one here. Front cover gasket is most likely leaking from a bad HG repair and my transmission is chattering at idle after they replaced my transmission back in January. Not taking it back to the dealership, just filed for a lemon law suit based on the fact that the transmission replacement took over 2 months. Love the car but I think it’s time I moved on. On the bright side, I will have a lot of quality parts for sale. Be on the look out for a part out thread in the classified section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone had the HG replaced due to oil leak?
Back side of the head/block and on to the banjo bolt for the oil return lin.
Dealership finally figured out it was the HG and not at the oil return line banjo bolt.
Does this mean it has had the wrong HG from the factory?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Has anyone had the HG replaced due to oil leak?
Back side of the head/block and on to the banjo bolt for the oil return lin.
Dealership finally figured out it was the HG and not at the oil return line banjo bolt.
Does this mean it has had the wrong HG from the factory?
Plenty have, generally because the HG recall was badly done or previous to the shop manual update that calls for some additional sealant at two locations before you bolt the head down.
The HG recall was not due to oil leaking.

Ciao

·
Registered
205 Posts
After reading through this thread, it sounds like since I’m debating on buying one of these cars used, the best thing to do is buy a CPO, from an actual Ford Dealer, to prefect myself & also the lower the mileage the better.

·
Registered
152 Posts
After reading through this thread, it sounds like since I’m debating on buying one of these cars used, the best thing to do is buy a CPO, from an actual Ford Dealer, to prefect myself & also the lower the mileage the better.
If I was buying again now I’d find one built after 7 July 2017 which should have the correct HG from factory, but still physically check for the correct HG. Ideally still with a few years of factory Ford Warranty. I’d also not buy one with the quaife lsd because it increases understeer (as per the honest reviews). But the HG is the important criteria.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2017 I bought brand new and the HG was replaced at the dealer before the new TSB and just had the HG was replaced again at 13k miles due to oil leaks at the back of the motor so we are now at the 2nd HG and she seems to be oil leak free and now get to decide on more boost!! But damn i dont want to lose that warranty

·
Registered
205 Posts
I’ve been looking at buying a used RS & my question is this: If there’s a ‘16 RS for sale with 11k mikes but it wasn’t first sold until 05/18, is it possible that the head gaskets were never replaced? Would they go 11k miles w/o failing? I called Ford Customer Care & they don’t show any repair records for the head gaskets. Seems odd?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I’ve been looking at buying a used RS & my question is this: If there’s a ‘16 RS for sale with 11k mikes but it wasn’t first sold until 05/18, is it possible that the head gaskets were never replaced? Would they go 11k miles w/o failing? I called Ford Customer Care & they don’t show any repair records for the head gaskets. Seems odd?
By the letter of the TSB the car should have been sold only after the head gasket was replaced but I'm positive (although I don't have proof of this and I don't have an example to give you but some dealers can't even figure out what oil to put inside the engine and I've been asked by a service advisor if I want the full synthetic or not even though she also owns an RS) there have probably been multiple sold without the gasket being replaced.

And because the FSA was only announced in Jan 2018 there were many who had driven their cars for 20K and more miles with the Mustang gasket without seeing any issues. For some the cars needed both a gasket and a head which meant that the gasket was leaking coolant inside the engine.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts

Look forget Ford records, why with all the info here on this subject do people piss about with looking at records and dealing with Ford or the dealers.
The identification of the C head gasket takes all of 20 seconds with a torch, hell you can even do it without a torch most of the time and all you need to do is lift the hood.
Secondly any ENGINE built after mid June 17 will have the new gasket from the factory.
All the info on gasket identification and engine build date ID is here and has been for a long time. Do you're research here and forget asking Ford jack.
The only way to be sure is to physically check it yourself.

Ciao

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
I have a 17 RS with the build date before the gasket change was in place. It should have needed the recall, Carfax doesn't say anything, and it does have the right head gasket, I've checked. When unsure just physically check for it, not everything is reported on Carfax. I went through stressing too, don't rely on reports, just check for it.
The whole thing technically was not a "recall" (it was a Technical Service Bulletin) so that may be Ford's sneaky/shady way of keeping the repair off of Carfax

https://www.carfax.com/blog/tsb-vs-recall

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
The whole thing technically was not a "recall" (it was a Technical Service Bulletin) so that may be Ford's sneaky/shady way of keeping the repair off of Carfax

It was actually a "Customer Satisfaction Program" 17B32. Not sure it fits the criteria for an official recall as there wasn't any safety concerns.

Ciao

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
It was actually a "Customer Satisfaction Program" 17B32. Not sure it fits the criteria for an official recall as there wasn't any safety concerns.

Ciao
In the US recalls can also be for emissions reasons. Burning coolant through the cylinder and pumping that into the cat is an emissions concern.

·
Registered
205 Posts

I guess that explains why only some CARFAX reports actually show ‘cylinder head gasket(s) replaced. Most don’t say anything, so I’ve called Ford Customer Care & typically speak with someone I can barely understand & give them the VIN. I get so annoyed with those phone calls that I’ve even asked them a few times “do you even know what a Focus RS is?”.

As far as Ford service depts. goes, I’ve called them requesting that information on an RS that was sold new at that dealership & they refused to give me that information. You’re kidding, right? Since when is a Focus RS a human being? It’s a used car for sale & I’m trying to figure out if it’s a ticking time bomb before I spend 35k.

·
Registered
337 Posts

If Ford has no record of the gasket replacement, then get it replaced. No charge to you, 'cause it's a recall item.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
If Ford has no record of the gasket replacement, then get it replaced. No charge to you, 'cause it's a recall item.
I dont think you've been following the logic of this thread.Its not that there isnt records somewhere someplace its that Ford wont let you access to them. The dealer looking up the "recall" pending list for this VIN sees there are no recalls pending.So how are you going to get this "recall" done? There is no requirement listed and they wont dig through records to find out if its been done and even if they could be bothered they wont release the information to you anyway.
If you want something done then you have to do it yourself. The OP needs to spend an hour or two on some research here on this board and then the 20 seconds it takes to look for himself. OR he finds a sympathetic dealer mechanic that can look for him. I know which way I'd be going.

Ciao

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I dont think you've been following the logic of this thread.Its not that there isnt records somewhere someplace its that Ford wont let you access to them. The dealer looking up the "recall" pending list for this VIN sees there are no recalls pending.So how are you going to get this "recall" done? There is no requirement listed and they wont dig through records to find out if its been done and even if they could be bothered they wont release the information to you anyway.
If you want something done then you have to do it yourself. The OP needs to spend an hour or two on some research here on this board and then the 20 seconds it takes to look for himself. OR he finds a sympathetic dealer mechanic that can look for him. I know which way I'd be going.

Ciao
We really need a stickied pre-purchase inspection thread with this sort of info for people dropping in, HG check at the top even though it's all over this board and youtube.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
We really need a stickied pre-purchase inspection thread with this sort of info for people dropping in, HG check at the top even though it's all over this board and youtube.
Yes good idea. Getting the same questions over and over and the waters getting muddied every time just dilutes the ability to source the correct information we have accumulated.

Ciao

·
Registered
205 Posts
I get what you guys are saying & I appreciate all of the information however I guess my frustration is just with some of the Ford dealers. There were a lot of brand new 2017s that sat on Dealer lots well into 2018 & they didn’t bother to replace the head gaskets? Even though the build dates were prior to 07/17? Yet instead just let a buyer drive it off of their lot in 2018 with the wrong gaskets? There are several of them listed for sale right now online & the ford dealers still want 34k+. w/ branded titles, which AAA will not insure. That makes no sense whatsoever.....

·
Registered
179 Posts
The program is over now so Ford is no longer replacing the head gaskets under it - if it wasn't replaced the owner needs to do it at their own expense. Even worse, if the engine fails due to the gasket not being replaced Ford could refuse to honor the warranty.

I believe he's doing this remotely so can't drive easily to every single seller to check them so this is why he's trying to get a single source for the data rather than a sympathetic person that will do the check for him remotely.

3261 - 3280 of 3283 Posts