Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Head Gasket Only or HG + Head?

• Replaced Head Gasket Only

Votes: 260 55.6%
  • Replaced Head Gasket AND Head

Votes: 124 26.5%
  • Don't know waiting to be seen

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Pressure Test completed, waiting on parts.

Votes: 53 11.3%

• Total voters
3241 - 3260 of 3283 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Is there any way to tell based on the VIN if the head gasket recall / replacement was completed? I have zero history really on my RS that I'm rebuilding. I don't see any indication of the recall on the carfax report, except a "vehicle serviced" in March 2018. The VIN doesn't come up with any recalls on the Ford website (except an FSA for California emissions thing). Just curious how I can tell if it was done or not based on the VIN. Thanks
Why dont you just take a look at the engine and find out what gasket is fitted? Its a 1 minute task. Theres a ton of clear instructions here on how to achieve that.
Ciao

·
Registered
20 Posts
Why dont you just take a look at the engine and find out what gasket is fitted? Its a 1 minute task. Theres a ton of clear instructions here on how to achieve that.
Ciao
I don't have the car currently, and was just curious if I could figure it out while at my desk.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've been complaining and taking my car to various dealer for nearly a year (just a few months after my first HG change) and finally got a dealership that does the job correctly thanks to our forums here, so the car is in for Round 2 of course I was right all along (we know our cars very well here, call us fanatics if you want)...AND..needs another head and gasket...which I've declined...17k miles on this car and it has been broken the whole time...sigh...I really want a long-block and 100k at this point (I have bought that already, but I guess they could credit it back to me); they basically sold me a giant paper-weight, that needs a headgasket at the same frequency is should be needling oil changes.... I'm going to have to be done with this platform unless they rectify the issues in full. They've done longblocks for plenty of other folks, especially with my 1st head warping 10+mm; there is no doubt for the job to be done correctly it needed re-decking, which was never done. I'm now also getting enough blow-by to see the UV dye building up around the throttle-body...
...so clearly the damage has extended down into the cylinders with scoring being likely from oil/water mixing in the cylinders ruining intended lubrication...I recommend anyone who thinks they have this issue get your ford tech to add UV dye and keep a eye on it, its just a matter of time before they all fall apart again if they weren't put back together correctly like mine (my 1st HG job was a nightmare and its still a continuation of that again)...like another member said I believe phillo....if you plan on keeping this car long-term plan on having a full built engine, keyed crank, etc...being added and even then your mileage is going to be limited potentially just due to poor design and exhaust reversion that will get worse and worse as coking occurs, so have that handled with aux fuel or methanol (meth corrodes so it's a double edge sword).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone have this done after the date expired on the customer complaint filed?
Bought a used 2017 and have roughly 20,000 miles on it. With a build date of May 2017. I'm pretty sure this is what's wrong with mine....
Don't have any white smoke as some stated. There is a slight stumble in the rpm range and I have noticed the coolant level going down a little.
Would this not be covered in 3yr/36 mile warranty or extended warranty?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Anyone have this done after the date expired on the customer complaint filed?
Bought a used 2017 and have roughly 20,000 miles on it. With a build date of May 2017. I'm pretty sure this is what's wrong with mine....
Don't have any white smoke as some stated. There is a slight stumble in the rpm range and I have noticed the coolant level going down a little.
Would this not be covered in 3yr/36 mile warranty or extended warranty?
Skip ahead to the 5:10 mark

or just feel around for the rivet

·
Registered
4 Posts
I realize i’m A little bit late to the party. I’ve got a 2017 RS coming from Carvana on Thursday 9/5. I checked the car fax and the head gasket fix hasn’t been done. So, i’m looking at the possibility of having a head gasket issue with no warranty fix being available since the program ended in January of this year. What should I Do?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I realize i’m A little bit late to the party. I’ve got a 2017 RS coming from Carvana on Thursday 9/5. I checked the car fax and the head gasket fix hasn’t been done. So, i’m looking at the possibility of having a head gasket issue with no warranty fix being available since the program ended in January of this year. What should I Do?
What did you end up doing? I am in the same boat.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Call ford service and work it out. If you got it from a Ford dealer they should be smacked.
(800) 392-3673

I'm curious how many cars are out there with the old HG. For now your car should be covered under the basic powertrain warranty:

(1) Your vehicle’s Powertrain components are covered for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The extended coverage applies to the Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads, electrical fuel pump, powertrain control module, engine mounts, flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts, oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, engine thermostat, engine thermostat housing, timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt), turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump

If they deny, I would be surprised if they do, remind them that they can fix it on the cheap or buy you a new longblock because they denied the FSA fix due to a manufacture defect. I bet you at least need a head by now though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Call ford service and work it out. If you got it from a Ford dealer they should be smacked.
(800) 392-3673

I'm curious how many cars are out there with the old HG. For now your car should be covered under the basic powertrain warranty:

(1) Your vehicle’s Powertrain components are covered for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The extended coverage applies to the Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads, electrical fuel pump, powertrain control module, engine mounts, flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts, oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, engine thermostat, engine thermostat housing, timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt), turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump

If they deny, I would be surprised if they do, remind them that they can fix it on the cheap or buy you a new longblock because they denied the FSA fix due to a manufacture defect. I bet you at least need a head by now though.
I got mine from carvana and it's coming in the next week. It's a 2016 with 18k miles. If Ford won't fix it, I'm sending it back.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Hears an Idea and one which I followed myself. Spend $250 USD on a nice Boroscope with an articulating head that connects to your smart phone and every 5000klm or so pull the plugs and boro the cylinders. The evidence of the usual issues is visible way before you start getting the dreaded symptoms or risk any damage. I'd say the vast majority of RS's haven't had the recall done for a start. Getting the HG replaced will be better for resale. Of course Ford may come to the party anyway.

Ciao

·
Registered
205 Posts

Why in the world would you buy that car? I’m not trying to be rude, I’m genuinely interested in the thought process on spending 32k or more on a car that has the wrong head gaskets that could very well destroy the heads? Every 2016-2017 should be a concern. I’m also in the market for an RS & will not even consider a 2017 unless it says ‘cylinder head gasket(s) replaced on it’s carfax report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why in the world would you buy that car? I’m not trying to be rude, I’m genuinely interested in the thought process on spending 32k or more on a car that has the wrong head gaskets that could very well destroy the heads? Every 2016-2017 should be a concern. I’m also in the market for an RS & will not even consider a 2017 unless it says ‘cylinder head gasket(s) replaced on it’s carfax report.

Fair question. Carfax reports are not all inclusive. You then have two options. Checking with Ford to see if they have a record of the service being done and checking it yourself. Because I was buying the car from carvana, I wasn’t able to do so until I was actually taking delivery of the car. However, I also had 7 days to return it for any reason whatsoever.

The ford dealer had a record of the work having been done. I was also able to physically verify that the work was done and even had my mechanic verify my findings. I am completely satisfied that the car is right. Don’t overlook what can be a good buy because of what carfax doesn’t include. Conversely, don’t accept what they say as gospel truth either. Do your own due diligence.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Carfax is a joke..Other than listing the number of previous owners is pretty much a waste

It’s not a joke, it’s a timeline to give potential buyers a history report. If a used RS was taken to a Ford Dealer for any concerns, fluid leaks, coolant levels,drive ability issues etc., it shows on the report & should be a concern for the next buyer. It also shows the amount of warranty left, how many miles each owner put on the car, during their ownership etc. Like I said, if a used RS had the head gaskets replaced, it always says ‘cylinder head gasket(s) replaced on the carfax. Many of these cars never did it because the mileage is so low & they’re used as second vehicles. Carfax reports are far from a joke.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Fair question. Carfax reports are not all inclusive. You then have two options. Checking with Ford to see if they have a record of the service being done and checking it yourself. Because I was buying the car from carvana, I wasn’t able to do so until I was actually taking delivery of the car. However, I also had 7 days to return it for any reason whatsoever.

The ford dealer had a record of the work having been done. I was also able to physically verify that the work was done and even had my mechanic verify my findings. I am completely satisfied that the car is right. Don’t overlook what can be a good buy because of what carfax doesn’t include. Conversely, don’t accept what they say as gospel truth either. Do your own due diligence.

But here’s the thing. Anytime a Ford Dealer makes any repair on a vehicle, under warranty, it automatically gets reported to carfax, so it would 100% show ‘cylinder head gasket(s)’ replaced on a carfax report.

For some reason there seems to be this confusion with dealers as to why they think it’s okay to be selling these vehicles with the wrong head gaskets? I don’t really understand what’s going on & why an FSA & recall are seemingly two different things?

Carvana = buying a vehicle sight unseen without any real-time photos. Good luck with that. Sure, they make it easy & don’t charge dealer fee’s, however with the numerous reviews regarding the RS, I would need to drive that car first & see if I can live with it, before I spend 35k & then try to turn-around and get my money back in 7 days.

·
Registered
205 Posts
As you can tell I’m very frustrated on the buying process of the RS.

Someone please explain to me why Ford allowed this head gasket issue to continue to happen all through 2017? Why was this issue not taken care of in 2016?

And yes, I’ve heard that any build date after 07/17 supposedly has the correct head gaskets, but I’ve never heard that from a Ford Tech. I’ve seen carfax reports from build dates 10/17 where it showed ‘cylinder head gasket(s) replaced.

I guess the safest thing to do is buy a 2018, but only if you like blue or red cars.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
As you can tell I’m very frustrated on the buying process of the RS.

Someone please explain to me why Ford allowed this head gasket issue to continue to happen all through 2017? Why was this issue not taken care of in 2016?

And yes, I’ve heard that any build date after 07/17 supposedly has the correct head gaskets, but I’ve never heard that from a Ford Tech. I’ve seen carfax reports from build dates 10/17 where it showed ‘cylinder head gasket(s) replaced.

I guess the safest thing to do is buy a 2018, but only if you like blue or red cars.

The reason Ford didnt solve the HG earlier was the same reason they used it in the first place, economics. Keep the production line running.It took them almost 6 months to design and test a new HG and they had a full order book.
As for the Carfax reports well thats just a catch all statement. Anything with an ENGINE build date post June 17 has the new gasket.
Lifes not easy eh, in car buying and many other things. At least you have the historical knowledge, imaging you bought early and didnt even know about the HG.

Ciao

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
It’s not a joke, it’s a timeline to give potential buyers a history report. If a used RS was taken to a Ford Dealer for any concerns, fluid leaks, coolant levels,drive ability issues etc., it shows on the report & should be a concern for the next buyer. It also shows the amount of warranty left, how many miles each owner put on the car, during their ownership etc. Like I said, if a used RS had the head gaskets replaced, it always says ‘cylinder head gasket(s) replaced on the carfax. Many of these cars never did it because the mileage is so low & they’re used as second vehicles. Carfax reports are far from a joke.

ok...In Aug 2011 I smashed a deer in my 2008 Vette...it was repaired at a chevy Dealer $6800.00 in damages. I trade it in for a ZO6..Feb 2012 I see it listed for sale and check the attached "Carfax" no listed accidents...so yeah Carfax is a joke.......Good luck with your RS purchase...have a ford Tech check it..p.s. a trusted one...PPI for the win

3241 - 3260 of 3283 Posts