Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Head Gasket Only or HG + Head?

• Replaced Head Gasket Only

Votes: 260 55.6%
  • Replaced Head Gasket AND Head

Votes: 124 26.5%
  • Don't know waiting to be seen

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Pressure Test completed, waiting on parts.

Votes: 53 11.3%

• Total voters
3221 - 3240 of 3283 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Had my head gasket work done last May, CEL came on on Friday and accompanied with rough idle and misfiring cylinder 3 and 4. It sounds like some of us are starting to get the warning signs again within a year of the FSA being done...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Had my head gasket work done last May, CEL came on on Friday and accompanied with rough idle and misfiring cylinder 3 and 4. It sounds like some of us are starting to get the warning signs again within a year of the FSA being done...
Yup, same here. Insist on a new engine. Your cylinders are probably scored to hell.

Are you losing coolant?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yup, same here. Insist on a new engine. Your cylinders are probably scored to hell.

Are you losing coolant?
It looks like it, so I'm not driving the car until Monday when I'm headed straight for the dealership. I'd rather open a lemon law case for a buyback than go through this process again (I've been to the dealership 3 times now to fix an oil leak resulting from the HG work). I just don't have the time to keep getting the car "fixed"

·
Registered
181 Posts
It looks like it, so I'm not driving the car until Monday when I'm headed straight for the dealership. I'd rather open a lemon law case for a buyback than go through this process again (I've been to the dealership 3 times now to fix an oil leak resulting from the HG work). I just don't have the time to keep getting the car "fixed"
I don't blame you. I am so ambivalent towards this car. I really love to drive it when it's right but that hasn't happened lately.

Good luck to you whatever you do.

·
Registered
320 Posts
So moral of the story just have trust in Ford and then drive on once you get your whips back.
How big of a bootlicker do you have be to "just have trust in Ford" when they were the ones that put us in this mess, and then some of their incompetent dealers only exacerbate the issue?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Just thought I'd give you guys an update on good ol Booosty (16' RS). SO I bought my car pre owned on Nov 5th 2018 I'm the third owner, I got the car for a great price because the Recall had to be done on it, I got the recall done it failed so Ford dropped in a whole new engine. It took quite a while to have it all done but since I 'haven't any issues with car since picking it up. I babied her while breaking in the engine I'm at about 3,500 miles on the new engine and loving life as a RS owner. About to pull the trigger on the Ford Extended Warranty since I'm at 35,665 and just get the best plan I don't plan on selling or getting rid of the RS once it's paid off. So moral of the story just have trust in Ford and then drive on once you get your whips back.
Sometimes I wish I didnt have so many miles on the clock so I could still cruise through life with this perspective. Experience comes at a cost I guess.

Ciao

·
Registered
678 Posts
Just thought I'd give you guys an update on good ol Booosty (16' RS). SO I bought my car pre owned on Nov 5th 2018 I'm the third owner, I got the car for a great price because the Recall had to be done on it, I got the recall done it failed so Ford dropped in a whole new engine. It took quite a while to have it all done but since I 'haven't any issues with car since picking it up. I babied her while breaking in the engine I'm at about 3,500 miles on the new engine and loving life as a RS owner. About to pull the trigger on the Ford Extended Warranty since I'm at 35,665 and just get the best plan I don't plan on selling or getting rid of the RS once it's paid off. So moral of the story just have trust in Ford and then drive on once you get your whips back.
Sometimes I wish I didnt have so many miles on the clock so I could still cruise through life with this perspective. Experience comes at a cost I guess.

Ciao
So very tru.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just got my car back after having the head gasket replaced. I just turned 16k. When I initially went in for an oil change they saw oil in the engine bay that could have been caused by the initial replacement. They asked me to bring it back in when their schedule opened up and no immediate concern. I brought it back a few weeks later, while taking it easy on the car.

After bringing it back they performed an inspection and stated a new hg replacement was needed. I assume they knew the initial procedure was botched and needed to be redone with the sealant. They had the car a little over three weeks. Their inspections didn’t observe any coolant in the cylinders.

I’ve had the car back almost a week with about 100 miles on it. There are no signs of issues and everything is running smoothly. I am planning on tuning it but a little hesitant until I get a little more time with it. Has anyone else had any issues besides a few technician human errors? Has anyone tuned/modded after the “correct” hg replacement?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just got my car back after having the head gasket replaced. I just turned 16k. When I initially went in for an oil change they saw oil in the engine bay that could have been caused by the initial replacement. They asked me to bring it back in when their schedule opened up and no immediate concern. I brought it back a few weeks later, while taking it easy on the car.

After bringing it back they performed an inspection and stated a new hg replacement was needed. I assume they knew the initial procedure was botched and needed to be redone with the sealant. They had the car a little over three weeks. Their inspections didn’t observe any coolant in the cylinders.

I’ve had the car back almost a week with about 100 miles on it. There are no signs of issues and everything is running smoothly. I am planning on tuning it but a little hesitant until I get a little more time with it. Has anyone else had any issues besides a few technician human errors? Has anyone tuned/modded after the “correct” hg replacement?
All of my issues were technician errors related to the initial HG replacement. Had the car tuned and different mods before and after the work was done, but the dealership was clear on noting that my subsequent oil leaks were related to the work and not the mods. With that being said, I was going to get a FMIC and tune for Stage 2, but I'm going to hold off on that for awhile until I feel more confident in my RS.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Had HG replaced early March 2018. Car was was more powerful after HG replacement but I missed the tune! Installed tune one hour after leaving dealership. Have driven 9000 mi now and almost 1 year, not one single issue. It’s a real joy to drive!

·
5,608 Posts
Had HG replaced early March 2018. Car was was more powerful after HG replacement but I missed the tune! Installed tune one hour after leaving dealership. Have driven 9000 mi now and almost 1 year, not one single issue. It’s a real joy to drive!
:thumbsup:
I am with you. Since getting the car back after HG replacement, the car is a keeper.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does anybody know the difference between G1FZ-6079-D and G1FZ-6079-F? both are head gasket kit, but F are twice expensive
I have found only
G1FZ-6079-D - Head gasket kit without cylinder head
G1FZ-6079-E - Head gasket kit with cylinder head

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does anybody know the difference between G1FZ-6079-D and G1FZ-6079-F? both are head gasket kit, but F are twice expensive
I have found only
G1FZ-6079-D - Head gasket kit without cylinder head
G1FZ-6079-E - Head gasket kit with cylinder head
I tried 3 online dealers to try to get either of these parts, and they all said it could be ordered by a dealer only.

·
Super Moderator
15,624 Posts
[USA]

Got an official Ford letter today stating the Head-Gasket Recall service is being extended until May 31st
Anyone hear if the FSA has been extended again or has all HG FSAs been completed?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Anyone hear if the FSA has been extended again or has all HG FSAs been completed?
I think if you own the car and did not get the job done, you're SOL and most likely have no warranty on your engine. I do not believe a dealer can sell you a car without the HG repair done, if it was required for that VIN.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well I guess I am screwed. I took my car in January for recall. They checked it, then gave it back and said they were waiting on parts. I haven't heard anything since. I got busy and just forgot about the whole thing and now it's June and the recall has expired. :mad2::disturbed::apologetic::blue::upset::facepalm:

·
Super Moderator
15,624 Posts
Well I guess I am screwed. I took my car in January for recall. They checked it, then gave it back and said they were waiting on parts. I haven't heard anything since. I got busy and just forgot about the whole thing and now it's June and the recall has expired. :mad2::disturbed::apologetic::blue::upset::facepalm:
Not screwed, call the dealership and inquire about the parts and then ask if and when the parts will be in. If you don't get a resolution, remember the dealer never contacted you back, contact @FordService

·
Registered
89 Posts
No, if they ordered parts for after they checked it you should still be good. Call the dealer and ask if they ever got your special ordered parts in because you've never heard from the dealer. It's their fault, not yours. Basically since they started the recall in January, you should still be good.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Gee people give up easily these days. No wonder after sales service is so ****, apparently you just say ''sorry no'' and the customer just shuffles off into the sunset looking sad.

Ciao

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is there any way to tell based on the VIN if the head gasket recall / replacement was completed? I have zero history really on my RS that I'm rebuilding. I don't see any indication of the recall on the carfax report, except a "vehicle serviced" in March 2018. The VIN doesn't come up with any recalls on the Ford website (except an FSA for California emissions thing). Just curious how I can tell if it was done or not based on the VIN. Thanks

3221 - 3240 of 3283 Posts