Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Head Gasket Only or HG + Head?

• Replaced Head Gasket Only

Votes: 256 55.2%
  • Replaced Head Gasket AND Head

Votes: 124 26.7%
  • Don't know waiting to be seen

Votes: 31 6.7%
  • Pressure Test completed, waiting on parts.

Votes: 53 11.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 3261 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
In an effort to not bog down the forum with a bunch of threads in relation to the HG FSA, please post all details and info for getting your repairs done and any issues/things to look out for and how to vet dealers in this thread.

Mod team ( @Hoonigan @Paolo @sda3 and myself) will be moving threads here as they pop up. Thanks everyone!

Edit:
Thnx to @[email protected]
Documents below.

Recall Letter

Program Details

Repair Details

·
Registered
115 Posts
My appointment is set for Monday, January 29 and they told me the job would take 3-4 days. They'll offer a loaner car and if none are available, they'll direct me to Enterprise for a Ford rental. I'll update once complete!

I'm lightly modded and will revert the easy things back to stock just to avoid as much hassle as possible.

Details:

Livermore Ford Lincoln in SF Bay Area, CA
2016 with 11.5K miles
No previous coolant loss experienced

(Edit- Added additional details)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
I called my service department and they scheduled me for next Monday so they can order the “parts”. Got a loaner ready for me to. I will update when I get more solid information.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
In an effort to not bog down the forum with a bunch of threads in relation to the HG FSA, please post all details and info for getting your repairs done and any issues/things to look out for and how to vet dealers in this thread.

Mod team ( @Hoonigan @Paolo @sda3 and myself) will be moving threads here as they pop up. Thanks everyone!
OMG, Thank you! Some posts are reading like my little sister’s diary.

·
Super Moderator
15,434 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,434 Posts
Yeah, this is going to be the next baby step for FoRS owners since the FSA has been announced, or is that a recall?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Service adviser just called me and said I only get a head gasket... I asked how much pressure it lost and he says 5 psi. I'm like broooooo that means I get both a head and a gasket. This is going to be ridiculous.

Oi vey.
Not a good sign when your techs don’t know 5 is more than 4. Oi vey indeed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Service adviser just called me and said I only get a head gasket... I asked how much pressure it lost and he says 5 psi. I'm like broooooo that means I get both a head and a gasket. This is going to be ridiculous.

Oi vey.
Great question to ask. Hopefully he didn't forget to "proceed to Step 2".

You can still have a loss greater than 4 psi but if there's no coolant in the cylinders, they'll replace only the head gasket.

·
Registered
224 Posts

Oi vey.
Details on the car?

Model Year
Mileage
Modded/Tuned?

·
Registered
22 Posts
If it drops more than 4 psi after 5 hours then they check using a bore scope to check for coolant in any cylinders, if coolant is found then they replace head and gasket. The scary thing is knowing the tech was on point and was thorough with his inspection of the cylinders. Happy they came out with a fix but man does it suck having to put our cars under the knife being so new.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Dropped mine off at 10AM this morning, does the car need to be cool before performing the pressure test? I'm hoping to call at 5pm when they close but assuming I'll have to wait until the morning.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Any good dealerships in eastern PA? I doubt the one I bought it from even knows there was an issue and the couple local ones suck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Dropped mine off at 10AM this morning, does the car need to be cool before performing the pressure test? I'm hoping to call at 5pm when they close but assuming I'll have to wait until the morning.
Technically, they SHOULD. It's right there at the top of the job order so hopefully they see it! The test itself will take 5 hours so who knows how long the entire job will take for your service department.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Technically, they SHOULD. It's right there at the top of the job order so hopefully they see it! The test itself will take 5 hours so who knows how long the entire job will take for your service department.

Whoops, skimmed right past the safety warnings. Thanks.

·
Registered
224 Posts

The thing is, if they don't, you will lose PSI guaranteed as the system cools.

So if you bring it in hot, but they relieve pressure at the cap so its 0 psi... and pump it up to 20 psi for the test.... the psi will still drop alot when it cools.

1 - 20 of 3261 Posts