Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... new to this forum. Found and purchased my RS with 16k miles in SG from a member in SC.

The car is absolutely immaculate, RS2 w/sunroof. Very pleasant sale experience, too! Big thx to seller.

A little about me: veteran, GM calibration engineer, some Aerospace background. Side gig is prepping Formula cars and restoring stuff. I race and instruct for a few orgs: GM, Waterford Hills, and M1 Concourse. Oh, and I've got five kids, ages 15 down to 3. So I stay busy and wanted something that is fun and can carry a couple kids, and doesn't distract me from my other projects unless I want it to. So here I am.

Before anyone asks: Yes I still love GM stuff too, and I am not a marque specific fanboy. I dont care if it's a Kia or a Ford, or a Chevy or Dodge. Build a great car and I'll love it. Build a bad one and I'll say so.

So I flew to SC, picked up the car, drove to Walhalla, and then drove up Hwy 28 to US129. (Aka the Tail of the Dragon) Tons of fun. Was on 4 hours sleep, in a pretty good downpour, in a car new to me, and in the dark. Had an absolute blast.

I expect to have a lot more fun with this toy. Cheers!

Cade

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Congrats.....and great choice of roads...some of my favorites.

Own a 16 RS1 SG and think it is the perfect tool for drives in the mtns around TN and NC. Owned many different brands, and bar none the RS is one of my favorite back road cars.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! (Or gals?)

I'm looking forward to learning from yall about this car and contributing when I can.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Hello, My name is NickLulu and I am a wrenchaholic.

Met with a member who recently sold his RS yesterday at a meet to get some parts from him.

I got a Mountune UK breather plate V2 and a Radium PCV catch can. He also threw in several other items that I was really thankful.

Now I am itching the Radium crankcase catch can, fuel filter and the RDU Powerflex street inserts:

Reactions: MotorCade

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Welcome to the party! You'll find all sorts of wrenching ideas here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol at the Chappelle meme.

Yeah it's kinda like that. I'm going to desperately try to not mod this car for a bit... it's a huge internal battle.

So... uh, anyone got a stock exhaust they wanna ditch cheap? I'm going to cut it up...
Sigh.

·
Registered
18 Posts
welcome Cade! I'm right in your neck of the woods. I'm on the east side.... and I also work for GM haha

What formula cars do you work with? I did the Formula SAE at OU when I was there. It's kind of depressing knowing that I won't really be able to ever drive a car again that can accelerate and handle as well as that little thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What's up Skinnayyy? I have a handful of Formula Continentals (94, 96, 97 that are 'club' level with pinto power) and a 98 with a zetec. Currently building a BMW e30 sedan for getting novices out and maybe some endurance stuff.

If you're interested in formula cars, I can feed the addiction... lol. Or get on Apexspeed and find yourself an FC for cheap and come out and race! It's cheaper to get in an FC right now that it is a miata. And we'll be the fastest group at the track unless a Formula Atlantic shows up. (rare nowadays)

Shameless plug: www.wrenchaholics.com (and yeah, I need to update the website... I'm slow on that kinda stuff.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wish I had the time to get into something like that. Between work/toddler+1 on the way/hockey/home remodel, I don't really have much free time.

I used to do autocross in a tC I turboed but then moved to NYC. Came back, got an S2K that I wish I would have tracked but never had the chance. Then moved to NYC again, and now I have the RS instead of another S2K due to aforementioned toddler :)

I do however really want to get into 24 hours of lemons just because of the ridiculousness of it all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can relate! I don't slow down or sleep much. Home projects never end. Kid stuff just gets busier as they get older. Just gotta jump in where you can. This year has been a little bit of a breather, however - as racing has been largely slow to get going, I've had a lot of time to catch up on other stuff.

Autocross is a great way to get involved. Hoping to get my oldest out to try it at some point. Unfortunately (for me) he's just not interested in cars AT ALL. Bummer. All my others are, though ... so, soon enough.

Lemons looks like a lot of fun, but I'm nervous about 'crapcan racing' in general for some safety considerations. I am thinking I'll try AER instead. Seems to be a good fit for low budget/high track time/slower cars.

SCCA and NASA are (of course) the places to go still for highly competitive wheel-to-wheel action.

·
Registered
18 Posts
the good news about lemons is that although you buy a car for "$500" you have to put in a whole bunch of safety equipment. So that aspect of it is fairly safe. And then also because of them being terrible cars, the speeds are lower.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, the bad news is that other competitors care as much about their car as one would expect for a $500 car. And that safety equipment is the same price whether it's in a $500 car or a $20,000 car. Seems like a waste to me, BUT ... still a ton of fun to be on track in anything. And still less to write off a wreck in Lemons than anywhere else.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Welcome aboard, nice photos and that sounds like a great introduction to the car. It took one drive up a windy road to sell me on the RS!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts