Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
background: most of the dealers around me claimed their allocated units were already spoken for, but I found one that said they could work with me. I put $1,000 non-refundable deposit down and have an order placed.

My question comes from something I am seeing on my order preview. It lists a priority code of 19, and the order type is retail. Does this mean that they weren't allocated one and that is what I am getting? I saw something in another thread that mentioned Ford was talking about trying their best to fill retail orders depending on production variables. Is this a situation where come springtime I might be told that they can't fill my order?

Thanks to anyone with knowledge who takes the time to reply, and apologies if any of the info is gone over in other posts.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
A. I'm sorry, but putting down a non-refundable deposit is a big no-no in my book.
B. Dealers do lie, but hopefully they do actually have an allocation available.

That being said, the paperwork would either said "stock" or "retail". Since your order isn't going into dealer stock it is retail (regardless of whether or not they have an allocation).

The priority number can be whatever the dealer wants it to be (but greater than 10 I think). That number only matters at that specific dealership. So for example if that dealer sold another RS and marked it priority <19 then Ford would build that RS before your RS.

·
Registered
861 Posts
A retail order means that it is being custom ordered for a customer. Your name is actually on the order. It has nothing to do with allocations. Priority code is used to determine the order that a dealer's orders are scheduled for build. Dealers can specify 10-99, with 10 being the highest priority. 19 is the default setting for retail orders. Priority codes also have nothing to do with allocations except that similar cars with higher priority will get selected first and take up allocations.

·
Super Moderator
15,469 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I did read the ordering process thread, but will reread it.

My salesperson is telling me that there are no dealerships in the country that actually have any of the vehicles allocated to them, and they are all just placing orders like he did for me. Whatever, I know sales people lie.

·
Registered
418 Posts

My salesperson is telling me that there are no dealerships in the country that actually have any of the vehicles allocated to them, and they are all just placing orders like he did for me. Whatever, I know sales people lie.
Incorrect. Your salesmen is a retard. Talk to the general manager.

·
Super Moderator
15,469 Posts
Sounds like you're dealing with a dealership that doesn't have an allocation.

·
Super Moderator
15,469 Posts
@petmypaw

Has the salesperson mentioned if this order is for a 2016 or 2017 MY?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The order preview specifically says for 2016 model year, and has my name on it along with the options that I chose. There is also an order code and a sales code, but I don't know if that's important.

At this point I don't think I would have much luck hunting down a dealer with allocation that isn't already spoken for. Plus, I do have a non refundable deposit in with this one. Also, they didn't mark up the retail like I see is going on at a lot of other places.

My biggest worry is that if it's not an order based on something allocated to this dealer, could Ford step in at some point before springtime and say that they just can't fill the order? The only thing the salesman said to alleviate my anxiety is that in a month or so we could check on the status and there should be a VIN number attached to it, and at that point it is definitely an order being filled.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

That is false information and based on that alone, I'd be skeptical that your dealer has an allotment or knows what they are doing. Demand your money back, and move on. They sold you a false bill of goods, a car that they are unable to deliver in the foreseeable future.

·
Super Moderator
15,469 Posts
@petmypaw

PM @mboles2 or @FordService and see if they can check on this status of your order.

All they'll need is your order #, dealer code, and your last name to give you an update on your order.

No one that has been selected for scheduling, myself included, have received their VINS for their orders.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The order preview specifically says for 2016 model year, and has my name on it along with the options that I chose. There is also an order code and a sales code, but I don't know if that's important.

At this point I don't think I would have much luck hunting down a dealer with allocation that isn't already spoken for. Plus, I do have a non refundable deposit in with this one. Also, they didn't mark up the retail like I see is going on at a lot of other places.

My biggest worry is that if it's not an order based on something allocated to this dealer, could Ford step in at some point before springtime and say that they just can't fill the order? The only thing the salesman said to alleviate my anxiety is that in a month or so we could check on the status and there should be a VIN number attached to it, and at that point it is definitely an order being filled.
My take on your situation is that your dealer placed a retail order without having an allocation, which ANY Ford dealer can do. In fact, it sounds as if they have no clue about the allocation process at all. Your "non-refundable" deposit should only apply if the car is actually built. Up until that time, you should have no issue getting your deposit back and having them cancel the order. I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Non-refundable deposits are illegal unless they're being put towards the price of a car that is guaranteed to be built. If your dealer put in a retail order with no allocation, and it doesn't end up getting filled, they have to give you your money back unless they want lawyers and court cases on their schedule.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Hopefully you used a credit card for the deposit - there are a lot of protections when you do. Even if the dealer says "non-refundable", at some point you can call the bank and dispute the charge, saying "I have received no goods nor services for this money, and I want it back". The dealer might moan a lot but should eventually cave because they don't have anything to deliver to you.

Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, so I spoke with the sales manager who was obviously a little disappointed that I have more information about the allocation process then his sales person did. :)

Before telling me anything, he immediately offered to refund my deposit and pull the order. He then verified pretty much everything that has been mentioned here so far. The only thing he didn't say was that his dealership didn't have an allocation for the vehicle. It was kind of obvious that they don't, and my order was just a regular order that any dealer could do.

I have done some calling around and as I feared, finding a dealer with an open allocation for an RS is going to be close to impossible at this point. I suppose I'll just cross my fingers and hope the order that I made gets picked up and come springtime I'll have the car.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts

Go back to that dealer and demand your deposit back. Sales guy is an idiot.

·
Registered
150 Posts
@petpaw

PM @mboles2 or @FordService and see if they can check on this status of your order.

All they'll need is your order #, dealer code, and your last name to give you an update on your order.

No one that has been selected for scheduling, myself included, have received their VINS for their orders.
Thanks for pointing petmypaw my way, st2focus! :)

Okay, so I spoke with the sales manager who was obviously a little disappointed that I have more information about the allocation process then his sales person did. :)

Before telling me anything, he immediately offered to refund my deposit and pull the order. He then verified pretty much everything that has been mentioned here so far. The only thing he didn't say was that his dealership didn't have an allocation for the vehicle. It was kind of obvious that they don't, and my order was just a regular order that any dealer could do.

I have done some calling around and as I feared, finding a dealer with an open allocation for an RS is going to be close to impossible at this point. I suppose I'll just cross my fingers and hope the order that I made gets picked up and come springtime I'll have the car.
I'm more than happy to keep my eye on your order and provide you with any status updates along the way, petmypaw. To do so, all I'll need is for you to PM your order number and dealer code. :)

Nick

·
Super Moderator
15,469 Posts

Hang in there, it may take a little time but I'm pleased to know that you're now an informed consumer that was able to school the dealership with the help of the forum. Be sure to check in with both @mboles2 or @FordService and they'll be able to keep you informed about your order.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts