Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are one of those who does not mind the Auto Stop Start and wonders why it may have stopped working or works intermittently, I can confirm that if your battery State of Charge is thought to be low by the vehicle, the stop-start will not work and the gray icon will show.

To fix, I put my car on charger overnight and it was working again the next day. So I do believe that this is part of the feature and my battery was low since it is not my DD. Hope that takes some of the mystery out of this feature.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My radar detector shows my battery voltage to be 14.5V. My auto start is always grayed out. I'm okay with it not working because my dash cams don't like it when the car stops and starts all the time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you are one of those who does not mind the Auto Stop Start and wonders why it may have stopped working or works intermittently, I can confirm that if your battery State of Charge is thought to be low by the vehicle, the stop-start will not work and the gray icon will show.

To fix, I put my car on charger overnight and it was working again the next day. So I do believe that this is part of the feature and my battery was low since it is not my DD. Hope that takes some of the mystery out of this feature.

Did you check the voltage before hooking it up to the charger? What was it at? Battery can't be that old, perhaps it is bad?

·
Registered
63 Posts
My radar detector shows my battery voltage to be 14.5V. My auto start is always grayed out. I'm okay with it not working because my dash cams don't like it when the car stops and starts all the time.
You battery will not be 14.5V, that's the voltage of the system with the alternator providing the electrical power.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you check the voltage before hooking it up to the charger? What was it at? Battery can't be that old, perhaps it is bad?
It may be bad. My ocv is only 12.1 but my SOC is 75%. My SOC was 61% when my start stop was not working.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It may be bad. My ocv is only 12.1 but my SOC is 75%. My SOC was 61% when my start stop was not working.
That's too low for me too. Should still be covered by warranty depending on mileage, etc.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mine stopped working on the 2nd day. So 2 days and the battery is the problem? Not sure if I should laugh or cry.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Mine didn't work this morning, but I attribute that to the fact it was 25 degrees out. It was working just a few days ago, so I doubt the battery is to blame. The car probably takes a bunch of cues as to what's happening all around the car before deciding to enable auto start/top.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Since the weather has gotten cold. I havnt had Auto stop start work. Im not sure if i care or not though

Reactions: lloydrad

·
Registered
258 Posts
Coolant not up to operating temp?
No, cars fully warmed up oil and coolant.
Today it was 0 °C (32°F) and the car wasnt fully warmed up but the auto stop start was working

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Since the weather has gotten cold. I havnt had Auto stop start work. Im not sure if i care or not though
I assume that due to the much colder weather we've been having here recently that Auto-start-stop is disabled so that the cabin stays warm.

If the HVAC is on "Hi" temp, Max AC, Max heat, A.S.S. will be disabled.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My auto start/stop ceased working about a week or so ago. I attribute it to the cold exterior temps. It stopped working once the temps dropped in to the low 20s and teens.

It makes sense to me in that constantly starting and stopping in weather that cold can't be good for fluids or the engine. Constantly getting getting warm and expanding and then cold and contracting.

My RS is my DD and I do a lot of stop and go driving. So I hoped the auto start/stop would aid in boosting MPGs...I've lost about 1 MPG over the course of a tank since it stopped working.

·
Registered
220 Posts
It isn't coolant related. Just did some holiday party stuff and the car shut off at the first stop light a few blocks from the house. It was above 32 at the time, so the car must not enable auto start/stop below a particular ambient temperature. Normal, me thinks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It isn't coolant related. Just did some holiday party stuff and the car shut off at the first stop light a few blocks from the house. It was above 32 at the time, so the car must not enable auto start/stop below a particular ambient temperature. Normal, me thinks.
I agree. Auto start stop seems related to ambient air temperatures, which makes sense.

For me, below -10C and the car will not auto start stop. Warmer than that, like today at -3C, and it will enable it again.

My experience.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Speaking of auto stop/start...has anyone received the orange/yellow "i" information light letting you know some of the drive modes were not available, apparently due to the cold weather? Here in MA, it was 3 degrees the other day and only normal drive mode was available. It's happened a few times now, usually on cold starts.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm pretty sure it stops functioning if you have the fan on high. I tested it earlier. When I turned the fan down to almost nothing, it worked again.

I think it knows it you're drawing a large amount of amperage using accessories.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
I believe that having the rear defroster on will also cause start/stop to disable.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Speaking of auto stop/start...has anyone received the orange/yellow "i" information light letting you know some of the drive modes were not available, apparently due to the cold weather? Here in MA, it was 3 degrees the other day and only normal drive mode was available. It's happened a few times now, usually on cold starts.
http://www.focusrs.org/forum/9-focu...drive-mode-selection-not-available-error.html It's a common issue. Looks like it's related to the exhaust valve freezing.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts