Ford Focus RS Forum banner
121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
"Its Not a Mustang, and on that single note, I will NEVER buy one. Could have called it anything else, its not like they didn't have a whole stack of Name Plates that would have been better.

Instead they decided to dilute what a Mustang was."

Have you EVER driven a Mach-E GT Performance Edition? Or ANY electric car? Ever? Don't you think that lack of knowledge might affect your conclusion? I don't buy cars based on their name...I buy them based on their performance. And I just won the President's Choice Gold Award at a national Mustangs-only car show...awarded to me by President Steve Prewitt of the Mustang Clubs of America. And it's going to be featured in the August 2022 edition of MCA's "Mustang Times" magazine. What do you think that they know, that you don't?

·
Registered
357 Posts
No..."thirddgen89GTA" was whom I was replying to...who said that he would never buy a Mach-E, because Ford named it a Mustang. That was his sole complaint. Evidently he doesn't realize that the company that designs, builds, markets and sells the car is who gets to name it...not the end-user. Everybody thinks they're entitled.

·
Registered
242 Posts
post a review once you get it. I’ve been curious about them myself and enjoyed what I’ve seen so far anyway
+1 on a review and thoughts on road trip/camping ability. I've got a pre-order on an R1S with the hopes of replacing the family SUV (Mazda CX9) for road tripping and camping with the fam. Main hesitation is range of course, specially when the kids get bigger and the road trips get more and more "adventurous".
We've had the Rivian for 13 days and put ~1,000 miles on it. This is our first EV and all three of my previous cars have been manuals. And no, the RS isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Here are my shortened impressions/findings for this specific thread:
  • The R1T messes with your brain - a pick-up shouldn't have such good turn-in, accelerate so quickly, yet be our most efficient car.
  • It's hilarious to go 0-60mph in 3.1 sec in an 835hp / 908 lb-ft pick-up truck that also corners flat.
  • There is 0 aggression or fake vents/grills to the design. It's endearing to look at, like an NA Miata.
  • It's the most well rounded, adaptive vehicle I have driven. In addition to adaptive wipers, headlights, throttle mapping, steering feedback, yada-yada:
    • Adaptive ride height - auto lowers at freeway speeds for efficiency, manual override as well
    • Adaptive dampers - mapping and adjustments change by drive mode with manual options
    • Adaptive hydraulic anti-roll - Same supplier as McLaren's system; corners flat but then can mimic a disconnected swaybar off-road
    • Quad-motors - each wheel gets only the torque it can handle, whether that's accel. or decel. And there's not really any "drivetrain" inertia/slop.
  • It costs $0.05/mi to drive that same 835 hp pick-up truck.
    • My un-tuned Focus RS costs $0.21/mi when I'm averaging 25.5 mpg.
  • It's an expensive vehicle, but with all the capability baked in it's 100% worth it. We got locked into the 2018 price so even more of a bargain.
  • It gets as many thumbs-up from the TRX/Raptor crowd as the Tesla/EV crowd.
  • One pedal driving makes traffic more bearable. Still want to keep a 3 pedal car in the stable, though.
  • I can "fill it up" at home anytime it needs it.
    • At home it gets 22 mi range/hr of charging and costs about $12 to "fill the tank" from 0 to 100%
  • We have charged 5 times at public fast chargers and have not encountered any issues, yet.
  • Rivian is still very new and seems to be figuring out how to scale-up their company.
  • It seems solid and well built - 0 issues so far, headgasket is holding, no signs of coolant loss.
Honestly, we freaking love it to pieces. We're not getting rid of either of our gas cars, but the R1T is really, really good. If there's anything more you are curious about it let me know! I didn't want to overtake this tread too much.

Slammed in Sport mode with an iKamper Mini 3.0; wheels are legit forged 20":
Wheel Tire Hood Automotive tire Truck

Size/height relative to the RS in Sport (left) and Off-road (right):
Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Car Vehicle Steering part Gear shift Motor vehicle

Bed with lights, air compressor, 110V outlets, full-size spare:
Gas Tunnel Composite material Parallel Tints and shades

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Honestly, we freaking love it to pieces. We're not getting rid of either of our gas cars, but the R1T is really, really good. If there's anything more you are curious about it let me know! I didn't want to overtake this tread too much.
Great write-up! I've had my R1S reservation for a while now too and have been fortunate to be in the original pricing (although that whole move left a bad taste in my mouth on the company).

My main hesitation is the whole range anxiety. With Rivian pushing the whole "outdoorsy" narrative for their vehicle, I can't imagine how much worse the range anxiety would be when you're out in the woods compared to driving around metropolitan areas.

Out plan has always been to have the R1S be our weekend family hauler, car-camping and road trip car. Getting to camping spots shouldn't be an issue, but it's when we get into more remote areas is what I'm nervous about. I can picture stopping into a gas station and topping up before heading into the woods/desert/etc on a conventional vehicle, but I can't see doing that with the Rivian (unless we do a lot of planning ahead of time)

Based on your posts, you seem to be one of the more "adventurous" in this group. Any plans on going on longer/more remote trips with the truck? Would love to hear more about your experience there. Judging by the delivery dates, sounds like I still have the rest of the year to wait anyways...

• It seems solid and well built - 0 issues so far, headgasket is holding, no signs of coolant loss.
Heh, I see what you did there ;)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Great write-up! I've had my R1S reservation for a while now too and have been fortunate to be in the original pricing (although that whole move left a bad taste in my mouth on the company).

My main hesitation is the whole range anxiety. With Rivian pushing the whole "outdoorsy" narrative for their vehicle, I can't imagine how much worse the range anxiety would be when you're out in the woods compared to driving around metropolitan areas.

Out plan has always been to have the R1S be our weekend family hauler, car-camping and road trip car. Getting to camping spots shouldn't be an issue, but it's when we get into more remote areas is what I'm nervous about. I can picture stopping into a gas station and topping up before heading into the woods/desert/etc on a conventional vehicle, but I can't see doing that with the Rivian (unless we do a lot of planning ahead of time)
That's awesome that you got a reservation in before the price increase. For the price you are locked in at it is such a good value. I do think that now after having now experienced one first-hand. We actually put in another reservation for a Max Pack at full price if that tells you anything about how much we like it.

We share the same concerns! We took the risk of buying the R1T because we figured it would be eye-opening and an exciting change of pace for our travels. Having driven it for a few weeks and gone on one camping trip in another state now, I am much more at ease. The good thing about coming from an RS is that it already has low range, haha. And requires 91+ octane which can be tough to find when out in the woods. I already have experienced range anxiety with the RS through rural UT, TX and NM. It ultimately wasn't a real issue due to upfront planning but there was the thought of, "What if that one key gas station ends up being out of service when we get there." I suspect travelling with the Rivian will be similar at times. That's the reason we're going for a Max Pack if they ever get produced.

Any plans on going on longer/more remote trips with the truck? Would love to hear more about your experience there.
Yes! We've reserved sites at Canyonlands NP this Sept. and will be camping along the White Rim off-road trail. It's 150 miles of moderate off-road and will be our big test of the Rivian "outdoorsy" narritive. I'm just worried enough that if it works out it will be really rewarding. On Rivian's own website they state , "For extra peace of mind, Rivian off-Roadside Assistance is additional coverage that includes Adventure Extraction, where we’ll send a recovery vehicle if you get stuck on the trail; and Charge Assurance, where we’ll send help to get you recharged if you travel out of range."

Heh, I see what you did there ;)
As someone who had a nightmare of a coolant loss/headgasket failure/engine replacement process I had to :whistle:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Yes! We've reserved sites at Canyonlands NP this Sept. and will be camping along the White Rim off-road trail. It's 150 miles of moderate off-road and will be our big test of the Rivian "outdoorsy" narritive. I'm just worried enough that if it works out it will be really rewarding. On Rivian's own website they state , "For extra peace of mind, Rivian off-Roadside Assistance is additional coverage that includes Adventure Extraction, where we’ll send a recovery vehicle if you get stuck on the trail; and Charge Assurance, where we’ll send help to get you recharged if you travel out of range."
Looking forward to your next installment! FWIW, I've heard from other R1T owners that range off-road is actually very good since it's very low speed (low power draw) and you end up extending the range due to all the regenerative braking you end up doing during descents, etc. But I can see that being very environment-dependent and can vary wildly depending on conditions, etc.

I did read about the off-roadside assistance and charge assurance, which does ease some of the anxiety, but if it's anything like AAA, I'd rather not have to use it. I can just picture it now, whole family stranded in the middle of death valley, waiting for hours until a nice man in the diesel flat bed truck pulls in to the rescue as my children disown me for my poor planning...Summer vacation ruined! lolf

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
"Its Not a Mustang, and on that single note, I will NEVER buy one. Could have called it anything else, its not like they didn't have a whole stack of Name Plates that would have been better.

Instead they decided to dilute what a Mustang was."

Have you EVER driven a Mach-E GT Performance Edition? Or ANY electric car? Ever? Don't you think that lack of knowledge might affect your conclusion? I don't buy cars based on their name...I buy them based on their performance. And I just won the President's Choice Gold Award at a national Mustangs-only car show...awarded to me by President Steve Prewitt of the Mustang Clubs of America. And it's going to be featured in the August 2022 edition of MCA's "Mustang Times" magazine. What do you think that they know, that you don't?
I don't give to steaming craps how it drives. Its a 4 door crossover, not a Mustang. I have nothing against electric cars, performance or otherwise. I have an issue that they diluted the Mustang name plate by diluting what a Mustang is: A 2+2 Coupe. I had the same problem when they rebadged the Ford Explorer Sport as an "ST". Ford had a dozen other name plates they could have revived for the Mach-E.

If I was in the market for an electric car in my actual price range to take the daily driver / fun driver role, it would be the Model Y Performance dual motor.

If I wanted a super sedan electric it would be the Lucid Dream Air.

I like electric, I like the possibilities. The Rimac Nevera shows where its going. Hell, I've posted plenty on electric cars I'm not an electric hater.
The Rimac C_2: I bow to my new Electric Overlord!

But they aren't mainstream yet due to the charging infrastructure. Don't believe me? Call up a few apartment complexes and ask if you can put in a charging station for your electric car. I looked, nobody was willing to allow it, even when I had a quote in hand and was willing to pay for it. It wasn't even that expensive. But they aren't willing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have an order on the max pack and was looking at roof top tents. Does the ikamper mini 3.0 fit 2 adults and 2 kids? The ikamper that fits 4 adults would stick out from the rear.

We've had the Rivian for 13 days and put ~1,000 miles on it. This is our first EV and all three of my previous cars have been manuals. And no, the RS isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Here are my shortened impressions/findings for this specific thread:
  • The R1T messes with your brain - a pick-up shouldn't have such good turn-in, accelerate so quickly, yet be our most efficient car.
  • It's hilarious to go 0-60mph in 3.1 sec in an 835hp / 908 lb-ft pick-up truck that also corners flat.
  • There is 0 aggression or fake vents/grills to the design. It's endearing to look at, like an NA Miata.
  • It's the most well rounded, adaptive vehicle I have driven. In addition to adaptive wipers, headlights, throttle mapping, steering feedback, yada-yada:
    • Adaptive ride height - auto lowers at freeway speeds for efficiency, manual override as well
    • Adaptive dampers - mapping and adjustments change by drive mode with manual options
    • Adaptive hydraulic anti-roll - Same supplier as McLaren's system; corners flat but then can mimic a disconnected swaybar off-road
    • Quad-motors - each wheel gets only the torque it can handle, whether that's accel. or decel. And there's not really any "drivetrain" inertia/slop.
  • It costs $0.05/mi to drive that same 835 hp pick-up truck.
    • My un-tuned Focus RS costs $0.21/mi when I'm averaging 25.5 mpg.
  • It's an expensive vehicle, but with all the capability baked in it's 100% worth it. We got locked into the 2018 price so even more of a bargain.
  • It gets as many thumbs-up from the TRX/Raptor crowd as the Tesla/EV crowd.
  • One pedal driving makes traffic more bearable. Still want to keep a 3 pedal car in the stable, though.
  • I can "fill it up" at home anytime it needs it.
    • At home it gets 22 mi range/hr of charging and costs about $12 to "fill the tank" from 0 to 100%
  • We have charged 5 times at public fast chargers and have not encountered any issues, yet.
  • Rivian is still very new and seems to be figuring out how to scale-up their company.

Slammed in Sport mode with an iKamper Mini 3.0; wheels are legit forged 20":
View attachment 361069

Size/height relative to the RS in Sport (left) and Off-road (right):
View attachment 361073

View attachment 361074

Bed with lights, air compressor, 110V outlets, full-size spare:
View attachment 361075

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Man, that's a good write-up. Have to comment on the lack of aggressive styling: what a relief! So many cars now try ever-harder to look mean, big, and aggressive. Rawr! It me! Am big! Screw that. I love the original Miata - a goofy happy car that loves to play. I dig that Rivian's design is somewhat cute.

Reactions: Northish

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have an order on the max pack and was looking at roof top tents. Does the ikamper mini 3.0 fit 2 adults and 2 kids? The ikamper that fits 4 adults would stick out from the rear.
That's awesome about the max pack.
The iKamper Mini wouldn't fit 4 ppl, I'm afraid. I think the shortest RTT option that sleeps 4 would be the Roofnest Condor XL, but that sticks out about 10" from what I've seen.

Man, that's a good write-up. Have to comment on the lack of aggressive styling: what a relief! So many cars now try ever-harder to look mean, big, and aggressive. Rawr! It me! Am big! Screw that. I love the original Miata - a goofy happy car that loves to play. I dig that Rivian's design is somewhat cute.
Agreed! I'm know not everyone loves the design, but I like it. I think it was bold of them vs. just laying up and going for the usual testosterone truck look. It's got its own quiet confidence. I mean, when you lock it it makes the sound of a little bird chirp but then has 908 lb-ft of torque can tow 11k lbs. That stuff makes me smile.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts