Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was reading through my daily RS Google search and I came across this little nugget of info that I did not know before.

From autoevolution article: Ford Focus RS Rated at 350 HP, 350 LB-FT, Will Restart Engine If You Stall It - autoevolution for Mobile

"We knew we wanted to put start-stop technology on the RS," explained Tyrone Johnson, engineering and vehicle manager, Ford Performance Europe. "So we said, 'What if we went one step further, and controlled for engine stall at launch using the same technology?' Well, that's exactly what we did and it's just as fast as our start-stop technology."

Thought this was rather interesting! Did anyone else not know this as well, like me? Thoughts on this? Good/Bad?

·
Registered
520 Posts
It's definitely a good feature, but I think it would be more appropriate on a pedestrian Focus (or any other mainstream manual transmission model). It definitely makes learning to drive stick easier for beginners who will stall frequently sometimes in high pressure situations (guilty when I first learned stick). It just seems out of place on a hardcore enthusiast machine such as the Focus RS. As does the start/stop system itself since the RS is definitely not the ideal car for you if most of your driving is in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yes, it was mentioned sometime back. Might be handy for hill climb or in San Francisco :tongue-new:
Plus you don't have to over rev prior to clutch release

·
Registered
128 Posts
I really don't see it as a big deal, all it does is make it so one doesn't have to turn the key or push the start button to restart the vehicle. Cool and all, but NBD.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
My wifes diesel Jetta needed that. That car was so easy to stall and it gave zero warning, no shutter, nothing. Bam! Silence. Its the only car i have stalled in more than 20 years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts