Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Most RS competitors will be electrical in the very near future if this is to be believed:

Considering the RS is dead, it's safe to say no new car is its competitor. But yeah, this is the last generation of turbo-4 hot hatches. The mk8 Golf R, the upcoming Type R, and the next STI will be the last of their kind before electrification. There won't be a V8 Mustang or Camaro by 2030 either. Considering the insane demand for Mach-Es and Lightnings, Ford would probably convert to fully electric today if they had the battery and chip supply to produce enough of them.

·
Registered
2016 Black Focus RS
7 Posts
Okay. What am I missing? Electric cars do not become carbon neutral until like 4 years of ownership, batteries are ridiculously expensive, although the "grid" for charging stations will grow, you'll never be able to charge a car as fat as you can fill up a tank. Also, super charging is objectively bad for the battery so you cannot do it all the time. It just doesn't make sense to me to go all in on electric...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Okay. What am I missing? Electric cars do not become carbon neutral until like 4 years of ownership, batteries are ridiculously expensive, although the "grid" for charging stations will grow, you'll never be able to charge a car as fat as you can fill up a tank. Also, super charging is objectively bad for the battery so you cannot do it all the time. It just doesn't make sense to me to go all in on electric...
Is it really 4 years? I would think it'd be closer to 15 years with the production/disposal of the batteries. Nothing solid to base that off - just a loosely informed guess.

Also the future is bleak for us petrol lovers. Tempted to buy a mustang. Not because I want one - but because it's probably the last v8 i'll be able to buy and I want to tell my kids I had a v8 one day.

Reactions: dmaixner

·
Registered
317 Posts
I just don’t see this will all shake out. Take California for example. They already have rolling blackouts all the time, now imagine if every single car was plugged in.

Has there been studies as to how much increased electricity consumption this will induce and where will it come from?

i just think some hybrid options make more sense to start and then once everything looks stable and sustainable, then make the move . I feel like if we take this cold turkey approach to stopping the use of petroleum, things are going not go very well.

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
973 Posts
I've seen these questions many times before, but no one seems to have an answer. It seems like the governments (and car companies) are just blindly pushing this through, and hoping it'll all get sorted out in the end. I think their time frames are way too aggressive, and there should be some alternative to electric cars that is easier and quicker to roll out... at least until the infrastructure has time to catch up.

It would be easy for the governments (at least in the US) to push e-85 again. That should have been required on new cars, and new gas stations when it first came out. It seems like that whole thing stagnated years ago. The synthetic fuels seem like the next new variant of that... that can pump and burn the same. If cars were running a clean burning synth fuel (or maybe hydrogen), they'd be better than electric cars right now too... since not all power plants are exactly clean burning.

If you're in California, I'd suggest you get some solar panels, if you don't already have them :D

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just don’t see this will all shake out. Take California for example. They already have rolling blackouts all the time, now imagine if every single car was plugged in.
California has many problems, however the only time when we've had persistent rolling blackouts was because of market manipulation by a now notorious company called Enron that doesn't exist anymore because some energy traders got really greedy ;)

I've seen these questions many times before, but no one seems to have an answer. It seems like the governments (and car companies) are just blindly pushing this through, and hoping it'll all get sorted out in the end. I think their time frames are way too aggressive, and there should be some alternative to electric cars that is easier and quicker to roll out... at least until the infrastructure has time to catch up.

It would be easy for the governments (at least in the US) to push e-85 again. That should have been required on new cars, and new gas stations when it first came out. It seems like that whole thing stagnated years ago. The synthetic fuels seem like the next new variant of that... that can pump and burn the same. If cars were running a clean burning synth fuel (or maybe hydrogen), they'd be better than electric cars right now too... since not all power plants are exactly clean burning.

If you're in California, I'd suggest you get some solar panels, if you don't already have them :D
E85 is not better for the environment - it produces the same CO2 when burned and probably requires more resources to create. What I've heard is that for industries where electrification doesn't solve the problem, clean hydrogen is the solution - using solar or wind electricity to split water into O2 and H2. Hydrogen has less energy per volume so it requires modification to tanks, not only the engines that use it and I'm not sure if you can retrofit a gasoline engine to burn hydrogen.

I think that governments are just trying to push and see who blinks first - in a lot of places, actually using the car batteries as additional energy storage might solve some of the uneven clean electricity generation but I would never agree to that arrangement unless battery technology improves significantly.

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
973 Posts
Hyundai has also since released that these media rumors were false. Though with how long it took Hyundai to say that, I'm guessing that it is something that they'll soon be doing, but probably didn't want anyone to know yet.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why not use Hydrogen to power an electric car ?
Toyota has one for sale - 2022 Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell Vehicle | Innovation is Power

However there is a very limited infrastructure for refueling and until recently they couldn't even accurately measure how much hydrogen the pump outputs so when you bought one the fuel was included completely free. Now at least this has been solved but when I last checked in the SF Bay area there were only a few stations (and less than 100 in all of the US) so not very practical unless you live next to one of them

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus RS
211 Posts
Next best thing in the near future compared to the RS for the “fun factor” will be the Corolla GR which is coming to the United States. After that I can’t say to much because the world is eventually going hybrid or electric. I used to argue “how are we going to charge all the electric cars” but my opinion has changed due to they “meaning government” will have a “social score” on who can own and drive vehicles. Yes this sounds crazy but it’s coming and no one would have thought 10 yrs ago we would be forced to wear a mask or stick a needle in our arm to enter a business or travel. This discussion doesn’t come down to technology, it comes down to freedoms

·
Registered
2016 Black Focus RS
7 Posts
Is it really 4 years? I would think it'd be closer to 15 years with the production/disposal of the batteries. Nothing solid to base that off - just a loosely informed guess.

Also the future is bleak for us petrol lovers. Tempted to buy a mustang. Not because I want one - but because it's probably the last v8 i'll be able to buy and I want to tell my kids I had a v8 one day.
Might even be longer. I know petrol is on its way out, but I'm really hoping hydrogen based fuel catches on.

I've never been a huge Mustang fan until now. Assuming you're in the position for one, I would definitely get a Mustang now.

·
Registered
2016 Black Focus RS
7 Posts

Not to mention, what about all the people that street park. How would they charge their vehicles? Drag an extension cord across the street?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Considering the RS is dead, it's safe to say no new car is its competitor. But yeah, this is the last generation of turbo-4 hot hatches. The mk8 Golf R, the upcoming Type R, and the next STI will be the last of their kind before electrification. There won't be a V8 Mustang or Camaro by 2030 either. Considering the insane demand for Mach-Es and Lightnings, Ford would probably convert to fully electric today if they had the battery and chip supply to produce enough of them.
I can tell you the so called insane demand for those two is not a demand at all. The numbers for those are very small compared to the counterparts. Instance my local dealer took orders for 68 of them last month. Compare that to the several hundred orders for 5.0 f-150.
Then compare orders for the Mach e vs the mustang.
Once the government stops trying to actively kill the ice and propping up the e cars then we will se what is actually wanted.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts