Ford Focus RS Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

· Registered
885 Posts
I'm not a big fan of running stuff like injectors or turbos past their designed rates.

The XDi just forces the OEM injector to run past its specification on flow' why would you want to do this? This is the main reason why I swapped out my factory pump even thou I'm running AUX fuel with 4x 1000cc injectors the pump was still maxed out.

As people say the XDi is unreliable compared to others why not try a Bosch unit with around a 40% more fuel flow increase and with the Bosch which other pumps cant supply, you'll get OEM reliability. and for the power we are generally making its more than enough, me 565whp on the factory pump maxed out and me 565whp on the uprated Bosch unit with plenty in reserve.

This increase in fuel would of allowed me to chase 600+whp but I'm really happy where I'm at and my target has always been 501+whp and that target has been achieved.

Its just plug and play item if you purchase the wiring harness with the pump with "NO" mapping required.

I'm not pushing MSD as I've used them for the odd part and plugs but I generally I use Devil Developments for mapping and parts.

· Registered
3,009 Posts
@White-RS2

you posted

Its just plug and play item if you purchase the wiring harness with the pump with "NO" mapping required.

but in the link you provided, they contradict what you say with this....

This pump is fully compatible with the stock injectors and has proven power outputs of over 550 hp on the RS Mk3 but does of course need a compatible tune in order to work properly.

so which is it??

· Premium Member
526 Posts
I'm not a big fan of running stuff like injectors or turbos past their designed rates.

The XDi just forces the OEM injector to run past its specification on flow' why would you want to do this? This is the main reason why I swapped out my factory pump even thou I'm running AUX fuel with 4x 1000cc injectors the pump was still maxed out.

As people say the XDi is unreliable compared to others why not try a Bosch unit with around a 40% more fuel flow increase and with the Bosch which other pumps cant supply, you'll get OEM reliability. and for the power we are generally making its more than enough, me 565whp on the factory pump maxed out and me 565whp on the uprated Bosch unit with plenty in reserve.

This increase in fuel would of allowed me to chase 600+whp but I'm really happy where I'm at and my target has always been 501+whp and that target has been achieved.

I'm not pushing MSD as I've used them for the odd part and plugs but I generally I use Devil Developments for mapping and parts.
Pretty sure devils and msd supply same pump

· Premium Member
526 Posts
@JamoRS

when they say

This pump is fully compatible with the stock injectors and has proven power outputs of over 550 hp on the RS Mk3 but does of course need a compatible tune in order to work properly.

It means it will start and run but to make use of the extra pressure needs a tune.
Lee @ devils told me the exact same when I bought mine.

with the xdi pump you can’t even start and run the car at all once fitted unless a base map is there for it

· Premium Member
526 Posts
Essentially It is, but you won’t get any performance gains until an appropriate map is installed
Plug and play is how devils told me it operates, the ecu is fully aware of the pump from the outset

· Registered
885 Posts
@Pezzar

It still doesnt make sense, the way it was worded. he posted NO mapping required, which to me suggests you just put it in, and its good to go, which is not the case.
Just read the official advert then that should make it 💯 clear to anyone.

Yes no mapping required and compatible with factory injectors, but if, “if” you require the extra PSI flow rate then a mapping session would be required. So it can be fitted and off you go as before then if you require more to match your next tune then the fuel can be mapped to suit.

As I said once fitted no tune required and the status quo would be unchanged 👍🏻

I supplied the link to account for the odd twitcher and I guess it was needed lol x

· Premium Member
526 Posts
I have the devils pump and it’s smooth install.
No bending of fuel pipes and other issues and the car will start and run from the outset, works flawlessly on my MSD530 setup 👍

· Registered
3,605 Posts

Why do all these companies make it so hard to find out what's needed to tune the car, they seem to lock the changes behind their own tunes.

In the normal world when you buy a fuel pump, or injectors you get information telling you things like injector offset vs voltage, flow rate at pressure...etc.

Basically everything you need to make the required changes to your own tune.

· Registered
549 Posts
Can anyone tell me what their OE and/or XDI max fuel rail pressure spikes up to as shown on the AP (max) after a spirited drive? Any issues with fuel system pressure being over 3700psi during a transient condition?

Plz post what your max HPFP psi readings are coming up on your AP on a pro tuned RS after spirited driving.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts