Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Taking the RS to a NASA HPDE event at VIR this weekend was was wondering who you all recommended for track day insurance. I’m still really new to track days (only two TNiA) and the RS is my only car now so it’ll help with peace of mind. Just was wondering if anyone had any suggestions between RLI, Lockton, Hagerty, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey all,

Taking the RS to a NASA HPDE event at VIR this weekend was was wondering who you all recommended for track day insurance. I’m still really new to track days (only two TNiA) and the RS is my only car now so it’ll help with peace of mind. Just was wondering if anyone had any suggestions between RLI, Lockton, Hagerty, etc.

Thanks!
My wife's an Allstate rep and said Hagerty's probably going to be best value for money.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I've used Hagerty before, along with open track and lockton. Fortunately, no experience with a claim, but all three have been very easy to sign up for.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Another vote for Hagerty. I used to use On Track Insurance but Hagery is better coverage for similar price. I've never had a claim so don't know if any of these insurances actually work but the car is my daily so need something.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Been using OpenTrack, but definitely going to check out Hagerty next time! Totally worth it for the piece of mind. There can be some real yahoos at an open track day.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've heard that Progressive will cover Driver's education events and the like, so if it's described as a High Performance Drivers Education (HPDE) event, a crash would be covered. Of course, I don't know this for sure, but only heard this from a YouTuber that drives a Type R, and I have yet to actually call them to see if this is true.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
If you have State Farm, do not ever tell them you are on-track. While your rep might help you filter some stuff, State Farm is very against track time. With the way I've read the rider, I wouldn't be surprised if it was grounds for canceling your policy entirely.

I know that my friend got a Cease & Desist letter from Geico once while we were at drag strip rental. Someone took a picture of his car in the staging lanes with the plate# visible. They sent him the letter and he had to sign a paper stating he would never take it to the track again.

He made sure to remove the plates at every single future event.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I've heard that Progressive will cover Driver's education events and the like, so if it's described as a High Performance Drivers Education (HPDE) event, a crash would be covered. Of course, I don't know this for sure, but only heard this from a YouTuber that drives a Type R, and I have yet to actually call them to see if this is true.
Who ever is planning this route, I would caution you with trusting your "regular" car insurance to cover a track event. There are tons of fine print that they can use to get out of covering the damage. I had a friend get denied coverage because the insurance required an instructor to be on-board to count it as "instruction", which is a completely archaic policy considering most groups no longer do that due to safety reasons (he was actually using a go pro, with the instructor reviewing the footage after every session). Also, even if the insurance does cover damage to your car, if you were to hit any track barriers or, god forbid, hurt somebody like a track worker and require use of the track emergency crew, most of them will not cover this and you will have to pay out of pocket.

I say save yourself the trouble and just get the separate trackday insurance for that particular event.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have successfully used Lockton Motorsports Track Insurance Program for years. Never had to submit a claim, but it was cost effective and your policy would be based on agreed value per your car and its mods. Can only be used with HPDE and not with officially timed or sanctioned events.
It is possible that they no longer offer coverage for advance level groups - thought that change came into effect about the time I sold my track car and hung up the helmet few years ago...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks!
I would say worth it for the peace of mind factor. Not really necessary at the modern tracks with ample space for run off, but the tighter ones like Lime Rock having insurance will allow you to drive 9/10 instead of 7. Most track days with 100 cars 2-3 seem to have an incident where a claim would be made. Most do "stated value" policies, i.e. $35k cover for $300 (2-3 days cover).

·
Registered
294 Posts
If you have State Farm, do not ever tell them you are on-track. While your rep might help you filter some stuff, State Farm is very against track time. With the way I've read the rider, I wouldn't be surprised if it was grounds for canceling your policy entirely.

I know that my friend got a Cease & Desist letter from Geico once while we were at drag strip rental. Someone took a picture of his car in the staging lanes with the plate# visible. They sent him the letter and he had to sign a paper stating he would never take it to the track again.

He made sure to remove the plates at every single future event.
How was Geico alerted of his attendance? Are they scanning track photos and matching visible plates against their database?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How was Geico alerted of his attendance? Are they scanning track photos and matching visible plates against their database?
theres not going to be a police accident report and their gonna ask for pictures of the accident. They also ask for tow receipts. And if it’s something internal, they’re gonna ask how you blew whatever it was driving down the highway. You can of course lie, but insurance fraud is a crime so... not the best idea

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would say worth it for the peace of mind factor. Not really necessary at the modern tracks with ample space for run off, but the tighter ones like Lime Rock having insurance will allow you to drive 9/10 instead of 7. Most track days with 100 cars 2-3 seem to have an incident where a claim would be made. Most do "stated value" policies, i.e. $35k cover for $300 (2-3 days cover).
I paid for track insurance to protect myself from others on the track. Have seen too many instances of other cars being out of control at various track events that could have totaled my car had they got me or had it happened near me.

I trusted myself and pushed hard, but within my limits. With that said, I slept more soundly before the event knowing that I’d be covered had something happened.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
A good friend of mine had Lockton insurance for his turbo’d integra on ViR and did have an accident that totaled the car. I’ll see if I can reach out to him today and get him to talk about the experience of dealing with the fallout of the accident

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
This is interesting stuff. I never knew you could insure a car for a racing accident.
What about injury?
Do pro race teams carry insurance? (liability)

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Definitely worth the piece of mind. I normally make the call when I'm at the track depending on who's there/how crowded. If pretty empty, I skip it. Probably should get out of that habit, because that's when I'll crash myself into a wall! But if there's a lot of out of towners (IE the corvette club was in town when I was out there on a Friday for some corvette thing and there were 40 vettes on the track with almost all being from out of town), I'll put it on. I've been using open track. I can do it from my phone, in about 3 minutes.

That said, I won't be insuring my Fiat when I'm out there. It's paid off, and only worth like $5k. I think I paid $180 for the my RS insured at $35k with 5% deductible.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
I reached out to my friend Ramzi and he did get back to me linking me to a thread on Team-Integra that had some of the overview of the insurance. As you can see, he wasn't even driving or riding along in the car. In the end he got cut a check for just less than $17k

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
This is interesting stuff. I never knew you could insure a car for a racing accident.
What about injury?
Do pro race teams carry insurance? (liability)
Just to be clear: track insurance doesn't necessarily mean "racing insurance". A lot of track insurance companies will not cover any "racing" or timed events, but some do sell additional coverage ($$$) if you are planning on doing so.

Just like any other insurance, some would cover injury, but it's more typical for track insurance to just cover the price of your car and any damage caused to the track.

I'm sure pro-race teams carry some sort of insurance, just like any other business. I can't imagine what the premiums would be considering the high likelihood of damage.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I reached out to my friend Ramzi and he did get back to me linking me to a thread on Team-Integra that had some of the overview of the insurance. As you can see, he wasn't even driving or riding along in the car. In the end he got cut a check for just less than $17k

View attachment 343277
Sounds like Lockton had fulfilled their side of the bargain in this case and paid out the agreed value of the car, minus the deductible. Wouldn’t expect anything less. That’s the beauty of such policies... the buyer sets the value, the deductible, and pays the equivalent premium.

Your original post made it sound like your buddy got screwed by the insurer; his post doesn’t seem to indicate that at all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts