Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I will start with some basic personal/cars owned & motorsports info so. I am shadowing 51yrs old, former police officer and have a serious car and motorsports addiction. I started following, seriously, F1 in '79 but best of all I was lucky enough to have witnessed the glory days of Rallying with the Group B cars. After that I have always had a serious Jones for the RS "Cossie's" and other sorted makes and models. Any way knowing we will soon no longer be denied brings joy to my heart and soul as a car/rally fan.

Thanks for listening,
Gregg

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
Welcome Gregg! Good to have a...wiser man among us! I love F1 too but I didn't start following until just a few years ago when Vettel was kicking everyone's ass. Looks like Hamilton's on a tear again this year.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome Gregg! Good to have a...wiser man among us! I love F1 too but I didn't start following until just a few years ago when Vettel was kicking everyone's ass. Looks like Hamilton's on a tear again this year.
Some may argue with the "wiser man" part but they are mostly friends having fun with me at my expense. I noticed I had left out my previous cars owned so....

1. Early '86 I acquired an '85 Corolla AE86 GTS.
2. Late '86 I purchased a '85 MR2 after a Merc driver failed too yield "right of way" and killed the GTS. I learned to drift in that car and had withdrawls.
3. Mid '96 I purchased another MR2, a '88 model, after I changed the injector 0-rings in the '85 and burned the car almost to the ground, my bad lol.
4. '98 I traded-in the '88 MR2 for a '92 MR2T and put every damn GREDDY bolt-on part available. I over-boosted the engine one day and shattered a piston so I had it rebuilt with forged internals, metal HG, TRD racing clutch ( I was working at a Toyota dealership then) so I saved a lot of money and received great work. I eventually installed a HKS tubular exhaust manifold w/EWG and a T66 turbo. At 12psi I was almost exceeding the stock fuel system but I could kill most cars (350+hp RWHP was the estimate) and oh lord how I enjoyed spanking Ferrari's.
5. In 2006 I sold the MR2T for a '95 Lexus SC300 that had a 2JZGTE engine swap with a Greddy T78 single turbo, 1st thru 3rd gears were useless at 17psi.
6. 2007 I got into surf fishing for sharks and Bull Redfish so I bought a 2002 Toyota 4x4 4Runner.
7. Became a Deputy Sheriff and moved away until returning home to Houston in 2011 and then traded the 4Runner for a '99 Miata.
8. Circa 2013 I was working for a exotic car shop and drove more Ferrari, Lambo, Maser, RR, Bentley etc etc than I ever thought possible. Having too fit an older client into the Miata became a hassle and I was tired of fighting traffic in a manual.
9. 2014 I traded-in the Miata for a BMW 525i, and I love the car, but I long for another sports car.

I am my own worst enemy when cars are involved.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Welcome,

Out of all the Exotics you drove which was your favorite?

I also find it very fitting seeing you were a former police officer having you member # 911 lol.
I drove almost every model of Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche but out of all of them my favorite was the Ferrari 456GTA. The V12 in that car is a monster and the interior has so much more seating area than say a Testarossa, 308/328, 348 or 355.

LMAO I never noticed the LEO/911 correlation.

untitled1324.png

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I drove almost every model of Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche but out of all of them my favorite was the Ferrari 456GTA. The V12 in that car is a monster and the interior has so much more seating area than say a Testarossa, 308/328, 348 or 355.

LMAO I never noticed the LEO/911 correlation.
I have never driven a 4 seater Ferrari before but I will take your word for it. My current favorite would be the 430 Scuderia, I'm sure that will change once I get my chances in the 458 Speciale. My co-worker is contemplating a 348 now, I'm pushing him for it as a good entry level Ferrari and not to mention the last of the Era when it comes to a basic un assisted driving experience. While I only care about the driving experience and what the vehicle gives back, sadly he is just into looks and sound lol.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have never driven a 4 seater Ferrari before but I will take your word for it. My current favorite would be the 430 Scuderia, I'm sure that will change once I get my chances in the 458 Speciale. My co-worker is contemplating a 348 now, I'm pushing him for it as a good entry level Ferrari and not to mention the last of the Era when it comes to a basic un assisted driving experience. While I only care about the driving experience and what the vehicle gives back, sadly he is just into looks and sound lol.
I have two favorite Ferrari's and they are the 288 GTO and the F40 but much can be said for the 308. For my 40th birthday a friend of mine let me drive his '79 308 GTB all day and it was glorious. For my 45th b-day another new friend gave me a ride in his F40 and I can still feel the boost. Circa 1987 I was driving my '67 VW Bug and heard a noise unlike any other car and a 288 GTO cruised next to me for a few minutes and it was almost as good as sex.

Tell your co-worker to avoid the T models because they require a "engine out" service for belts and add another $5K+ to the service cost.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I have two favorite Ferrari's and they are the 288 GTO and the F40 but much can be said for the 308. For my 40th birthday a friend of mine let me drive his '79 308 GTB all day and it was glorious. For my 45th b-day another new friend gave me a ride in his F40 and I can still feel the boost. Circa 1987 I was driving my '67 VW Bug and heard a noise unlike any other car and a 288 GTO cruised next to me for a few minutes and it was almost as good as sex.

Tell your co-worker to avoid the T models because they require a "engine out" service for belts and add another $5K+ to the service cost.
The 288GTO and the F40 are some of my favorite classics, I may be an odd ball by saying this but I do have a place in my heart for the F50. They are on my bucket list to thrash around a track someday :)

Sadly that is the problem with the 348 and it is around 6300, or 9500 at the dealer every 3 years but can be pushed to 5 for the timing belts. We both have a good amount of mechanical knowledge and have the tools and the equipment to do the jobs ourselves its more of a time things lol. He is contemplating a 360 for this reason as they have an access panel but I kinda advised him that if he is really thinking about a 360 wait a little to save up for a F430 being a much better vehicle and it also has timing chains.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 288GTO and the F40 are some of my favorite classics, I may be an odd ball by saying this but I do have a place in my heart for the F50. They are on my bucket list to thrash around a track someday :)

Sadly that is the problem with the 348 and it is around 6300, or 9500 at the dealer every 3 years but can be pushed to 5 for the timing belts. We both have a good amount of mechanical knowledge and have the tools and the equipment to do the jobs ourselves its more of a time things lol. He is contemplating a 360 for this reason as they have an access panel but I kinda advised him that if he is really thinking about a 360 wait a little to save up for a F430 being a much better vehicle and it also has timing chains.
If the F50 does not hold a special place in ones heart they are surely deceased LOL. I worked at a performance shop last year so that is where most of my drives took place and yes the 360 is sweet but overall the F430 is a easier owner. I almost bought a '77 308GTB in 2000 but could not pass up the reliability and performance of my "fully built" T66 powered '92 MR2T. Your friend can get a lot of great information via www.ferrarichat.com .

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
If the F50 does not hold a special place in ones heart they are surely deceased LOL. I worked at a performance shop last year so that is where most of my drives took place and yes the 360 is sweet but overall the F430 is a easier owner. I almost bought a '77 308GTB in 2000 but could not pass up the reliability and performance of my "fully built" T66 powered '92 MR2T. Your friend can get a lot of great information via www.ferrarichat.com .
Thanks for the insight and yes he is on Ferrarichat. I'm not sure what his SN is though. That 308GTB would have been a good investment but as driver not so much, I would have done the same honestly between those 2 choices. I believe you don't need 600-700whp to have fun, but you need at least 300whp and ideally 400whp and sub 3000lbs. I don't need to be the fastest to have a blast but I think we can agree when your Ferrari can be spanked my a modern day V6 Camry, it's not as special anymore lol.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a kid almost fall out his window while yelling at his parents "Hey look mom and dad a MR2 turbo", I was rolling with laughter. My dearly departed MR2 and SC300....
My dearly departed '92!.jpg
11-15-06_1715-1.jpg
11-11-06_1620-1-1.jpg

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm drooling over that MR2 and that's probably the most sinister Lexus I've ever seen. Awesome on both counts.
Thank you, I miss them both. I am thinking about another project vehicle and that would be a small pickup with either a 2jzgte or a 3sgte with a HUGE turbo. Too many idea's and not enough money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
4 Participants
texasmr2
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing