Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2010-Ford-Focus-RS-2.jpg

By Luke Vandezande, Apr 16, 2015

The Ford Focus RS is one of those things that car geeks in America tend to hold in especially high, but totally unfounded regard.

I know nothing of what it’s like to drive one because I’ve never been behind the wheel. I’m told it’s a thrill ride, but much like the miles of commentary on the McLaren P1, Ferrari LaFerrari and Seat Ibiza, I’m left taking an opinion from someone else – usually in an English accent – about how they drive. Tragic as that might seem to me, I’m as likely to own a European Focus RS as I am an HSV GTS Maloo. Money doesn’t solve all of life’s problems, but it does a fine job of dispatching its inconveniences and this weekend, the unfortunate fact that there wasn’t ever a business case to sell previous versions of the Focus RS in America won’t matter.

That’s because someone went to the effort of importing and legalizing an MKII Focus RS and now it’s about to cross the Barrett-Jackson auction block in Palm Beach.

Lot number 99 is a 2010 Focus RS with 13,553 miles clocked on the odometer. It has half leather Recaro seats, black wheels, green paint and a bunch of performance modifications. In stock form, the Volvo-sourced five-cylinder turbo already makes 301 hp and 325 lb-ft of torque while the turbo crams air in at 20.3 psi. This car has an even bigger turbo and what sounds like the right modifications to make use of the extra boost. For example, it has an external wastegate, 1,000 cc injectors, larger valves and a new exhaust manifold, a beefier clutch and a better intercooler among other modifications. The description doesn’t say what sort of power this thing is kicking to the wheels, but you can bet that it’s significant. It’s being sold without a reserve and the first auction starts tomorrow.

How You Can Buy a Focus RS in America This Weekend » AutoGuide.com News

2010 FORD FOCUS RS - Barrett-Jackson Auction Company - World's Greatest Collector Car Auctions

·
Super Moderator
15,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think you can in the US, I thought you could only keep them here for 6 months.
I just spoke with Erin from Barrett-Jackson tracking down the info on this car. What I asked was what makes this vehicle legal for ownership here in the US and if this is the same vehicle from Jay Leno's Garage video. Hopefully, I'll have more info shortly. Quick response was that this vehicle is a European import from a European owner and not necessarily the one showcased in the Jay Leno video. It would be disappointing to purchase a vehicle that couldn't be driven.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Yea its a grey market vehicle and not old enough to be grandfathered in. People do run MKII RS's over here but only for 6 months then back they go. There are some states though like Florida which are very lenient and are know for smuggling certain vehicles in like R34's.

·
Super Moderator
15,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This has unraveled quite a bit since earlier. The vehicle was imported for the Mexican market to a western borough of Mexico City and later was brought into the US through Arizona. The vehicle is currently licensed and titled in Arizona and has been listed on eBay twice with no bids received. Current owner started at $40K and would sell outright at $75K, viewed over 4300 times but no dice. Reading through the specs of the vehicle I did notice a couple of discrepancies with the reported mileage. When the emissions inspection was done the vehicle was reporting as having 79,000 miles. Once the vehicle was licensed and titled in Chandler, AZ four months later the DMV reported mileage as being 13,489.

·
Registered
112 Posts
There was an old guy who posted on the UK forum back in 2009/10 saying how he bought the one sent to Mexico and immediately drove it to his home in Texas area. All I remember was he owned/visited a BBQ pit restaurant as one of the UK members commented on how too he had been to the same restaurant.

·
Super Moderator
15,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This vehicle is listed as Electric Green which I guess in the European market is the same as Ultimate Green. I'm curious to see if this vehicle receives any bids on eBay before it's listing closes on the 19th. (The same day as the last day of the Barrett-Jackson auction)

·
Super Moderator
15,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sold at Barrett-Jackson auction for $29K. The eBay listing has been ended since the vehicle is no longer available.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
BJ site shows $31.9k. Still for a car with what may have been odd history, very hard to get parts for in the states and the 2016 RS right around the corner, not worth 30k to me.

·
Super Moderator
15,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
222 Posts
Modifications include a Garrett GTX35 turbochargers, TiAL MVR external wastegate, larger intake and exhaust valves, an aluminum manifold, 1000-cc fuel injectors and an upgraded fuel system, Stage 4 intercooler and radiator, larger boost pipes, forged pistons and H-beam connecting rods, and a Helix six-pad clutch.

Thats a good $8,000-$10,000 in mods to push you to around 400+ FWHP on 93oct but way to much power for FWD. Pretty sure without upgraded heads and cams that 35R will max out the heads capabilities on top end really fast.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Modifications include a Garrett GTX35 turbochargers, TiAL MVR external wastegate, larger intake and exhaust valves, an aluminum manifold, 1000-cc fuel injectors and an upgraded fuel system, Stage 4 intercooler and radiator, larger boost pipes, forged pistons and H-beam connecting rods, and a Helix six-pad clutch.

Thats a good $8,000-$10,000 in mods to push you to around 400+ FWHP on 93oct but way to much power for FWD. Pretty sure without upgraded heads and cams that 35R will max out the heads capabilities on top end really fast.
Pretty sure is like saying with conviction that the sun will rise tomorrow.

The GTX35R turbo, just like any other turbo, can be configured in many different compressor and turbine housings (internal or external WG configurations) and compressor/turbine wheel variations and can easily surpass 700+whp. From the stats 'you' listed 400FWHP would be low boost numbers with those mods, do you have A/F and boost charts? If you want to debate RWHP numbers over FWD numbers deduct another 10% for drivetrain loss for RWD. I have too much turbo and dyno time experience to argue about such things that are just internet fodder. Here is a scenario, do you think another 100CHP or even WHP is easily achievable out of the RS's 2.3Ltr?

Lets have fun and I am just having fun and mean no disrespect.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

The GTX35R turbo, just like any other turbo, can be configured in many different compressor and turbine housings (internal or external WG configurations) and compressor/turbine wheel variations and can easily surpass 700+whp. From the stats 'you' listed 400FWHP would be low boost numbers with those mods, do you have A/F and boost charts? If you want to debate RWHP numbers over FWD numbers deduct another 10% for drivetrain loss for RWD. I have too much turbo and dyno time experience to argue about such things that are just internet fodder. Here is a scenario, do you think another 100CHP or even WHP is easily achievable out of the RS's 2.3Ltr?

I think he was stating being able to put power to the front wheels. Is your question with adding power about the next gen RS because the MKII has a 2.5L 5 cyl and has a many examples of 500+ HP. My plans for the new RS would be around 400whp. I'm hoping to do this on stock turbo and 93 but if a turbo swap is required then my intended goals may change and go beyond. They way Ford has been building these 4 cylinders they leave little room for HP and favor response giving us huge TQ number that can't stay flat to redline. They do say the Turbo is bigger and in one video which I posted http://www.focusrs.org/forum/9-focus-rs-discussions/243-turbo-specs.html stating the compressor is 3mm larger then the mustang but their turbine specs of 22mm leaves me to believe I can not trust said information. I don't think 100WHP will be able to happen with out nitrous or meth combined with race gas on the stock snail, I hope I'm wrong but following the 2.3 in the Mustang doesn't look too promising for making big power up top. We will just have to wait and see if the changes implemented to the RS are enough.

·
Registered
222 Posts

That was quoted out of the link on the sale of the car article on the mods that were done.

I made over 600HP on a fully built 2.5ltr with a 52lb turbo and Q16 race gas (of course I also had $25,000 in the engine and spent over 100 hours on the dyno tuning with different setups and also a Subaru not a Ford)

100HP is not going to easily achievable in any way shape or form without spending a few thousand dollars and getting some race gas or E85 into the tank.

100AWHP is going to require much deeper pockets for forged pistons- rods-maybe crank (TBD), clutch, upgraded FMIC, new fuel pump(s) 1000CC FI (if running corn larger to keep the IDCs lower and not maxed out) new exhaust 3" would work best (always like catless) 4 in DP non divided personal favorite, a new turbo setup GT30R/.83 would do the job just fine have to wait to see what non-rotated setups will become available

Also who is going to be the first one on the block to get their car up on the Dyno for a tuner to play with :) if the shop hasn't dialed in their skills on their own RS I would be leery on just letting anyone tune it :)

Going to a fun trip looking forward to building something new.

I think he was stating being able to put power to the front wheels. Is your question with adding power about the next gen RS because the MKII has a 2.5L 5 cyl and has a many examples of 500+ HP. My plans for the new RS would be around 400whp. I'm hoping to do this on stock turbo and 93 but if a turbo swap is required then my intended goals may change and go beyond. They way Ford has been building these 4 cylinders they leave little room for HP and favor response giving us huge TQ number that can't stay flat to redline. They do say the Turbo is bigger and in one video which I posted http://www.focusrs.org/forum/9-focus-rs-discussions/243-turbo-specs.html stating the compressor is 3mm larger then the mustang but their turbine specs of 22mm leaves me to believe I can not trust said information. I don't think 100WHP will be able to happen with out nitrous or meth combined with race gas on the stock snail, I hope I'm wrong but following the 2.3 in the Mustang doesn't look too promising for making big power up top. We will just have to wait and see if the changes implemented to the RS are enough.
Completely agree Crooked Letta!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Your right guys and I should have been more specific and I also failed to remember we are talking about AWD so drivetrain loss will require more than just a simple MBC. One thing is certain though and that is it will be fun seeing exactly how much HP a stock 'unopened' engine can handle. The RS will be my very first NEW car so I will not tinker with it unless the upgrades are manufacturer upgrades and will not void the warranty.

Regards.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Your right guys and I should have been more specific and I also failed to remember we are talking about AWD so drivetrain loss will require more than just a simple MBC. One thing is certain though and that is it will be fun seeing exactly how much HP a stock 'unopened' engine can handle. The RS will be my very first NEW car so I will not tinker with it unless the upgrades are manufacturer upgrades and will not void the warranty.

Regards.
Keep an eye for a hotter RS version like the MkII RS500, although impossible to get, Mountune made the parts available to the public to upgrade their RS to RS500 levels which was about a 40HP increase and keep the warranty. With word floating around of the Golf R400 and unspoken power output at this point, Ford may have to push the next RS500 farther if they decide to take on the project, which should be good news for all of us :D.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts