Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Like I said in my original post, feel free to poke fun! The car is 'loud' but really not too bad other than exactly what I described. Decel makes an awful noise and the exhaust pops are real gunfire. I wanted loud, but that part of the exhaust is over the top. I am actually curious if the ETS system has the same issues or not with the hemholtz.
Don't feel bad. I've been there also. It can be difficult to gauge how an exhaust behaves without listening to it in person. No exhaust manufacturer/seller is going to say their exhaust drones. It's something you learn to spot with experience.

The ETS system will drone less with the Helmholz, but it is still pretty loud. I heard one in person but didn't get to ride in it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Not sure if you are running a tune or not, but you could also get a tune that stops the pops.
I wish it were that easy...Livernois was very helpful and polite in taking my money for the tune but the one they sent 100% has extra pops and burble. They seem dumbfounded on how to resolve this. But that is for a whole different thread.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Don't feel bad. I've been there also. It can be difficult to gauge how an exhaust behaves without listening to it in person. No exhaust manufacturer/seller is going to say their exhaust drones. It's something you learn to spot with experience.

The ETS system will drone less with the Helmholz, but it is still pretty loud. I heard one in person but didn't get to ride in it.
Even owners of the exhaust can get a bit fanatical with it. My favorite was going on a ride with someone to listen to their exhaust on their ST. He kept on going on about how it had no drone while we were driving and I couldn't help but shout "WHAT?!" because I couldn't actually hear what he was saying over the exhaust.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the non-resonated awe touring with the cobb gesi catted down pipe and I find that to be almost way too loud for my taste yet sounds so amazing I do not want to change it. Inside the car with the windows up you can hear it but it is never really too loud inside (wife approved volume), it has absolute zero drone in any gear and even the pops sound decent but roll down a window and you can hear what it really sounds like outside the car and OMG pops are super loud and just standing behind while revving is uncomfortable at times (wife unapproved volume). With how loud this is I can't fathom what the track exhaust must sound like!?!? I have really considered adding the resonator because it is so crazy seeming loud and the pops are gun shots but it just sounds so good I am afraid to touch it. The difference of windows up or down must be a 70 decibels difference by itself lol. You have to putt around in the neighborhood and you can hear it coming up the street being driven normally while inside the house it is that loud outside of the car. Cold start is almost deafening if your standing behind the car but quiets down to a reasonable idle level pretty fast. Lots of turbo whistle and deep clean sound with small throttle inputs, monster when your really on it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have the non-resonated awe touring with the cobb gesi catted down pipe and I find that to be almost way too loud for my taste yet sounds so amazing I do not want to change it. Inside the car with the windows up you can hear it but it is never really too loud inside (wife approved volume), it has absolute zero drone in any gear and even the pops sound decent but roll down a window and you can hear what it really sounds like outside the car and OMG pops are super loud and just standing behind while revving is uncomfortable at times (wife unapproved volume). With how loud this is I can't fathom what the track exhaust must sound like!?!? I have really considered adding the resonator because it is so crazy seeming loud and the pops are gun shots but it just sounds so good I am afraid to touch it. The difference of windows up or down must be a 70 decibels difference by itself lol. You have to putt around in the neighborhood and you can hear it coming up the street being driven normally while inside the house it is that loud outside of the car. Cold start is almost deafening if your standing behind the car but quiets down to a reasonable idle level pretty fast. Lots of turbo whistle and deep clean sound with small throttle inputs, monster when your really on it.
I have the stock downpipe and the exhaust overall isnt too loud honestly. Its the drone on decel and the pops are just straight gunfire. The track exhaust ONLY has a resonator to cut some of the noise down. Cold start with the track are loud, but actually tame when it goes to warm idle.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Just like to ask is the AWE track similar to the magnaflow cat back race(19363)?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Given the muffler body is empty and no resonator probably just as loud outside and even worse inside. I haven't seen this one before and happy for an owner with one to comment but of course we are all different and it is subjective. And I reckon the expense of the valve is a bit of a waste when it cant be doing much and a wiring terminator sorts out the issue of no valve

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the StainlessWorks and it's considered to be one of the obnoxious ones. I contemplated going back to stock, but before I did,I poked around the trunk area to check. Noticed the trunk has 0 sound deadening, if you start knocking on the metal, you'll notice that it resonates badly. Bought and installed some NVX Sound Deadening and the drone has virtually been eliminated.

Was on a call in meeting on my drive home today and I asked if my exhaust was too loud, and was told they couldn't hear it. They knew that I was driving but nothing out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have the StainlessWorks and it's considered to be one of the obnoxious ones. I contemplated going back to stock, but before I did,I poked around the trunk area to check. Noticed the trunk has 0 sound deadening, if you start knocking on the metal, you'll notice that it resonates badly. Bought and installed some NVX Sound Deadening and the drone has virtually been eliminated.

Was on a call in meeting on my drive home today and I asked if my exhaust was too loud, and was told they couldn't hear it. They knew that I was driving but nothing out of the ordinary.
What was the weight penalty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
What was the weight penalty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I myself never weighed it but according to Amazon, a sheet is 3.25 lbs. I used about 4 pcs for the trunk.

Capture2.JPG

·
Registered
391 Posts
Like I said in my original post, feel free to poke fun! The car is 'loud' but really not too bad other than exactly what I described. Decel makes an awful noise and the exhaust pops are real gunfire. I wanted loud, but that part of the exhaust is over the top. I am actually curious if the ETS system has the same issues or not with the hemholtz.
You unplugged for FENG right? That could be a major culprit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just bought my RS 2 days ago. The car is completely stock but has the AWE Track exhaust. For all of you saying the pops are straight gunfire, it’s not! I build precision rifles for a living and while the pops are loud, they sound nothing like real gunfire. Maybe some city pansies will hit the deck in suburban neighborhoods but where I live in rural roads I bet it keeps the roads clear of wildlife! Now, the drone on deceleration is [email protected]/ng horrible! I’ll be looking into swapping my track for a touring if I can find someone to trade with.... OP, what did you end up doing?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have the AWE Track and feel like the OP. I do like the sound overall (over other exhausts), but the drone on decel is the big one that needs to go. However highway drone has really not been there as others have said. At least not anything like the decel or overly annoying...my wife would not care for it too much either, but then again she likes the sound of our Forester Invidia 300 exhaust.

I do believe a break in period is needed as it was a lot louder on initial install or this could also be me getting used to it more. LOL

As @n0rm stated I was going to look into some sound deadening material to help with the decel drone and happy to see it did work. So now I will full on pursue it!

As for the pops/burble, I don't care for it and when I get my tune, I will be asking for it to go away completely. Plus it puts a ton of exhaust soot on the back of the car - not my idea of a good time for a wash.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
As @n0rm stated I was going to look into some sound deadening material to help with the decel drone and happy to see it did work. So now I will full on pursue it!

As for the pops/burble, I don't care for it and when I get my tune, I will be asking for it to go away completely. Plus it puts a ton of exhaust soot on the back of the car - not my idea of a good time for a wash.
I have some in the mail to try and deaden the trunk! Hope it works.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts