Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently installed the AWE track exhaust and love everything about it (stock downpipe), except two specific scenarios.

1. WOT pulls and decel, the backfire and pop which is normally quite nice with the stock exhaust is simply too loud (for me). It is gun shot sounding.
2. Letting off the gas while in gear; the drone here is so loud its surprising. Its a loud booming type noise that is a bit much.

How would I best fix these two scenarios? Looking at a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator, but is there anything else people on here could recommend? I otherwise like the raw/loud side of the exhaust and dont want to totally lose that, but am willing to give up some of that noise.

*ordering the back half of the AWE touring exhaust with mufflers is an option, but just seems way too expensive at this point.

**I don't mind folks making fun of me complaining about the track exhaust being a bit loud, but unless you have heard the backfire and drone in person, its really something. :distracted:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Too many people neglect to mention the amount of drone the AWE track exhaust has. I watched the CJ Pony Parts review of it and he specifically says there's no drone (at a specific RPM). He neglects to say there is drone at a higher RPM than he was at.

Anyway, you could look into building a Helmholtz resonator. I was thinking of doing the same.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Too many people neglect to mention the amount of drone the AWE track exhaust has. I watched the CJ Pony Parts review of it and he specifically says there's no drone (at a specific RPM). He neglects to say there is drone at a higher RPM than he was at.

Anyway, you could look into building a Helmholtz resonator. I was thinking of doing the same.
I totally agree, I feel a bit misled by the CJPony review.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have the same exhaust and with no muffler it is always going to be something that some/most couldn't deal with. Decel above 2500rpm is very much drone, lift off with stock calibration is cannon fire from 3000rpm, not a residential area friend. You can drive around the drone and no sport mode subdues the cannon fire. Highway cruising is fine, which is the important bit, I don't think the CJ review was misleading myself in that regard

I reckon the touring exhaust is your best option option of guaranteed no drone.

I will be sticking with the track edition myself

·
Registered
900 Posts
Sounds like you need a true muffler. The Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator is nice but it will only lower/deepen the volume a bit and not do much for the drone. The name is kind of misleading if you ask me. I used one on a 3" naturally aspirated setup once.

I would suggest buying their touring axle back. Those mufflers claim to have that drone cancellation tech. It should be a bolt on affair and you'll have the track setup as a swap in replacement if you need to ditch the weight or sell if you need to recoup funds.

If you choose to go the custom route, use other exhausts as examples of what to add. I think ETS has a similar setup but they have a large Helmholtz branch on the mid pipe to help with drone. Otherwise you might start dumping money in and end up with something worst. It does get expensive once you consider time, parts, welding labor, etc.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies everyone...cannot believe post tune how loud the pop and backfire is. Honestly, the stock exhaust must be so quiet just to combat the insane sound of the backfire. Wonder how much the touring exhaust would help with the pops and backfires?

·
Read Only
37 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone...cannot believe post tune how loud the pop and backfire is. Honestly, the stock exhaust must be so quiet just to combat the insane sound of the backfire. Wonder how much the touring exhaust would help with the pops and backfires?
I have the touring AWE and think it's a great balance of being louder than stock but not over the top.

The conversion kit from AWE is ~$750. I know that's steep, but I've been very happy with the resonated sound and lack of drone. High quality from AWE. If it were me, I'd try to keep it all AWE if possible.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the touring AWE and think it's a great balance of being louder than stock but not over the top.

The conversion kit from AWE is ~$750. I know that's steep, but I've been very happy with the resonated sound and lack of drone. High quality from AWE. If it were me, I'd try to keep it all AWE if possible.
How are your pops and backfires? Ungodly loud? Reasonable?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reasonable. I'm not a huge fan of these anyway so I think if they are OK for me with this exhaust, most would find them to be OK as well.
I wish mine were 'OK' the track exhaust is quite loud. Are yours louder than stock? Quite a bit louder? Good info, thank you!

·
Read Only
37 Posts
I wish mine were 'OK' the track exhaust is quite loud. Are yours louder than stock? Quite a bit louder? Good info, thank you!
I find the exhaust tone is deeper and louder than stock without being obnoxious. I do a ton of highway driving and have no regrets with the touring setup. The pops don't seem that much louder than stock IMO.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I find the exhaust tone is deeper and louder than stock without being obnoxious. I do a ton of highway driving and have no regrets with the touring setup. The pops don't seem that much louder than stock IMO.
Really helpful, thanks! I may start to look into the touring mufflers then!

·
Registered
505 Posts
>buys straight pipes
>wonders why exhaust is loud

you need mufflers...

An RS nearby me has the AWE track. You can hear that thing down the street. Definitely recommend rolling with the touring or looking into another exhaust system that actually has a muffler.

·
Registered
900 Posts
>buys straight pipes

you need mufflers...

An RS nearby me has the AWE track. You can hear that thing down the street. Definitely recommend rolling with the touring or looking into another exhaust system that actually has a muffler.
Although exhaust noise is subjective, I always get a chuckle at the occasional post asking if the Tune+ Ti exhaust is loud. That's a straight a pipe exhaust as I've seen.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
>buys straight pipes

you need mufflers...

Like I said in my original post, feel free to poke fun! The car is 'loud' but really not too bad other than exactly what I described. Decel makes an awful noise and the exhaust pops are real gunfire. I wanted loud, but that part of the exhaust is over the top. I am actually curious if the ETS system has the same issues or not with the hemholtz.

·
Read Only
37 Posts
Like I said in my original post, feel free to poke fun! The car is 'loud' but really not too bad other than exactly what I described. Decel makes an awful noise and the exhaust pops are real gunfire. I wanted loud, but that part of the exhaust is over the top. I am actually curious if the ETS system has the same issues or not with the hemholtz.
Not sure if you are running a tune or not, but you could also get a tune that stops the pops.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts