Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what will you be doing to protect your RS? Will you just wash and wax? Any special products that you will use? How long to touch fresh paint, heard to wait 3 months cause too soft at first? Will you clay your car day one and put on some high tech poly-synthetic-nano-ultimate auto protective coating? Share your tips and dos and don'ts. Also, will any of you take your RS to a car wash or is that just taboo...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
So what will you be doing to protect your RS? Will you just wash and wax? Any special products that you will use? How long to touch fresh paint, heard to wait 3 months cause too soft at first? Will you clay your car day one and put on some high tech poly-synthetic-nano-ultimate auto protective coating? Share your tips and dos and don'ts. Also, will any of you take your RS to a car wash or is that just taboo...
As soon as it comes off the trailer at the dealer, I plan on taking it without letting them wash it or even peel off any of the protective stuff and heading straight to getting the front end Clear-Bra'd. Should also have some WeatherTech mats ready to protect the carpet.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
dont forget to put pictures of a honda in front of it and tell it a VTech is better
A vtech phone might work better than sync 3 Bluetooth.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As soon as it comes off the trailer at the dealer, I plan on taking it without letting them wash it or even peel off any of the protective stuff and heading straight to getting the front end Clear-Bra'd. Should also have some WeatherTech mats ready to protect the carpet.
Josh this is exactly what I had planned. I love the WeatherTechs I have in my FiST now. And the clear bra I have been reading up on. What do you think is a likely cost for such a process? I imagine you bring it to a shop to get it done. I've never had a clear bra installed on any of my last 4 vehicles.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
As I've said in a few other threads, my plan is to take the car to Oakes detail and have them:

- minor paint correction (as necessary)
- XPEL Ultimate on both bumpers, hood, front fenders, mirrors, and headlights
- CQuartz Finest over the entire body & wheels
- Possibly rust proofing the underbody (not sure what Oakes offers in this regard)

(or I may just have the entire car wrapped in a unique color and then CQuartz Finest on top of that)

Josh this is exactly what I had planned. I love the WeatherTechs I have in my FiST now. And the clear bra I have been reading up on. What do you think is a likely cost for such a process? I imagine you bring it to a shop to get it done. I've never had a clear bra installed on any of my last 4 vehicles.
I expect what I outlined above (sans rust proofing) to come in around $2k, however Nick Oakes is one of the best detailers in the country. A full front bra only can be had around $1,000 +/- $200.

If I do a full wrap I know they charge $4-6k depending on the type of wrap.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Same here. I might go with the Husky liner mats though. A buddy of mine got them for his ST and I like them a bit better.

I didn't clear-bra the front of my Mustang and I regret it now with 28k miles on it. I will def being doing it to the RS!
@Chrisp: I never heard of the XPEL film before, so I did a little research and found this film comparison I think everyone here will find useful:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Chrisp, is Oakes the one in PA? (Just Googled them) I'm thinking of doing a clear bra at the very least because rock chips suck. How do they do theirs? I've been reading up on the topic, and I am leaning toward plasti dip being the best option for a clear bra due to how easy it is to repair, maintain, and also remove.

Anyone ever heard of Fluid Film? Considering finding someone who can do that professionally for the winter, but I don't know anything about it, especially the efficacy.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I never heard of the XPEL film before, so I did a little research and found this film comparison I think everyone here will find useful:]
Interesting...I had 3M done on my car going on 2 years ago so I guess their new pro series wasn't out yet. But I have not been too pleased with it. I actually ended up pealing it off the hood - however I do admit that a lot the issues I had could've been installer related.

Which brings me to my next point - find an experienced installer who you trust and who will stand behind their work. Installing big pieces of PPF is not easy to do perfectly. Look for installers who wrap edges and have good work environments.

Chrisp, is Oakes the one in PA? (Just Googled them) I'm thinking of doing a clear bra at the very least because rock chips suck. How do they do theirs? I've been reading up on the topic, and I am leaning toward plasti dip being the best option for a clear bra due to how easy it is to repair, maintain, and also remove.

Anyone ever heard of Fluid Film? Considering finding someone who can do that professionally for the winter, but I don't know anything about it, especially the efficacy.
Yes, Oakes Detail in West Chester. Nick is a class act and takes his job very seriously. This is why people trust him with their million dollar hyper cars and collectibles.

The only use I see for plastidip is to cheaply cover a set of crappy winter wheels. I don't recommend it. It won't work for a (nearly) invisible clear bra, and it's not as easy to peel off when you get to the little crevices and such.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Well, I've called 4 or 5 places so far, sent them pics of what the front end will look like and the consensus is anywhere from $1500 - $1800. This includes the full hood, full fenders, bumper and mirrors using XPEL Ultimate. From what I read it seems to be the best and the videos of its "healing properties" are amazing. Another place quoted me $1250 but using a Suntek product.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Interesting...I had 3M done on my car going on 2 years ago so I guess their new pro series wasn't out yet. But I have not been too pleased with it. I actually ended up pealing it off the hood - however I do admit that a lot the issues I had could've been installer related.

Which brings me to my next point - find an experienced installer who you trust and who will stand behind their work. Installing big pieces of PPF is not easy to do perfectly. Look for installers who wrap edges and have good work environments.

Yes, Oakes Detail in West Chester. Nick is a class act and takes his job very seriously. This is why people trust him with their million dollar hyper cars and collectibles.

The only use I see for plastidip is to cheaply cover a set of crappy winter wheels. I don't recommend it. It won't work for a (nearly) invisible clear bra, and it's not as easy to peel off when you get to the little crevices and such.
Nice, Oakes is driving distance then, somewhat. Although I'd prefer to find a professional closer to me, it's certainly an option. What do they usually use - Scotchgard, PLEX?

About PlastiDip - are you saying it's not clear enough? It is in fact great for winter wheels, you're right. I've only recently learned of their clear plasti dip product, so the idea of using it as paint protection seemed reasonable.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Nice, Oakes is driving distance then, somewhat. Although I'd prefer to find a professional closer to me, it's certainly an option. What do they usually use - Scotchgard, PLEX?

About PlastiDip - are you saying it's not clear enough? It is in fact great for winter wheels, you're right. I've only recently learned of their clear plasti dip product, so the idea of using it as paint protection seemed reasonable.
I think Oakes uses XPEL Ultimate typically, but they are also a registered 3M installer. Word of warning, he is booked months in advance. I will probably call him as soon as I get a build date for my car.

I wasn't aware of plasti dip having a clear product that isn't matte, but I don't keep up with that stuff. I'm just not really a fan; I'd rather do a wrap.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Well, I've called 4 or 5 places so far, sent them pics of what the front end will look like and the consensus is anywhere from $1500 - $1800. This includes the full hood, full fenders, bumper and mirrors using XPEL Ultimate. From what I read it seems to be the best and the videos of its "healing properties" are amazing. Another place quoted me $1250 but using a Suntek product.
Don't forget rocker panels. You usually have to ask for that and it's extra but worth it.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Don't forget rocker panels. You usually have to ask for that and it's extra but worth it.
I was thinking about some Rally Armor mudflaps to cover that... Not sure yet though.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'm planning on putting some xpel ultimate or 3M pro on mine when I get it. Anybody have any first hand application experience? I've looked at several installation videos online and, with a few helping hands and the right equipment, doesn't look very difficult to install. I prefer to DIY whenever I can and this would be a great way so save several hundred dollars.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Is CQuartz an alternative to all of it? Damn, this is getting complicated! Haha :D

Seriously though, the pics in the link look goddamn amazing. I want that. Is that something that gets done before a bra? Instead of a bra?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts