Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I have seen many posts regarding disabling the fake engine noise sound. I wanted to make a quick post to explain the hardware I bought and the tooling I used, which in this case was forscan. My vehicle is a limited edition right hand drive RS - but I don't see why this wouldn't work for others - although feedback appreciated.

Tooling - I purchased "Veepeak USB OBD2 Scanner Adapter for FORScan with MS-CAN HS-CAN Switch" from Amazon Australia for about ~$25 AUD.

Software - Forscan, but using a free trail. The steps are that you download the software and install (I used a windows laptop), the software gives you a "hardware ID" that you can use to request a free 2 month trail of the full version. The reason I did it this way, was because otherwise I think you need to manually edit the "hex string" that the other forum posts mention. I was not sure I wanted to do this, despite the option to first backup and potentially restore the ECU settings, as it was first my time I wanted to automate as much as possible behind the scenes.

Anyway.

1. Plug in OBD2 Scanner to car
2. Ignition on (NOT THE CAR, foot away from clutch)
3. Run Forscan with OBD2 switch set to HS-CAN
4. Software tells you to switch to MS-CAN, switch and continue
5. Presented with a range of options. Clicked the spanner ICON.
6. Go into ACM (not the as built, but I think it was called ACM procedures - I will edit this post with pictures when I can)
7. There is an option called engine noise enhancement, mine was set to enabled
8. I set it to disabled, and run the procedure
9. I turn the ignition off (NOT THE CAR, foot away from clutch)
10. I turn the ignition on (NOT THE CAR, foot away from clutch)
11. There was a small "noise" that sounded like an amp being unplugged
12. Forscan informed me the procedure had worked, i clicked off and then told the tool to disconnect

That was it. FENG off, and the car sounds mint. I cannot believe this it not option within the stereo. I just have the stock exhaust and you can hear the car when you boot it and the exhaust pops, but otherwise the engine is a lot quieter, but in a good way, as opposed to video game fake v8 when you tickle the throttle (just my opinion!)

If this helps anyway, I am glad it did. I read lots of other articles, and I looked into the daftracing/DaftRS VM option with the Carloop. Getting hold of a carloop seemed problematic, so I thought I'd see with cheaper hardware first. I am pretty sure using the Forscan you could also disable PDC etc., which I see a lot of people complain about - but for now I've left it on.

As for the trail of Forscan versus paying for a full license, I am fairly confident you can just uninstall forscan and reinstall and get a new trail. Alternative you use a different laptop, or if you know how to use virtual machines, install it within a VM and use a throwaway email.

I will answer any questions as and when I can.

Cheers

Edit - As far as I am aware, this will be most useful for UK and Oz/Aus owners as we don't get the sub in the boot where you can unplug a terminal.

Edit - updated from AMC to ACM, typo - note: I have a Sync 3 head unit and the car is the Australian Limited Edition version. No units in the boot, no sub in the boot.

·
Registered
2017 Focus RS Nitrous Blue
425 Posts
I've had a total of four 2 month Forscan trials all to the same email address. No restrictions I've found. My hardware ID changes each time though since I reload my PC a lot, but have yet to get any kind of denial.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was just about to post the same, cheers Phil. I may edit the top post as my first attempt was this, lifted the boot carpet and my subs been nicked!!!?! Oh wait, no I didn't get one originally :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, I am fairly confident that the enhanced version of Forscan with the additional features e.g. AMC procedures, is likely just modifying the hex characters contained within AMC (as-built) behind the scenes. I think my main frustration with all of this, is that there is no option to turn it off using the car. Even if it was buried within multiple menus in the head unit, it's not like this is a safety feature.

Also thanks all for posting re the Forscan trail. To be honest now I've turned off FENG, I'm not sure I'll ever turn it back on or fiddle with the ECU any further.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
6. Go into AMC (not the as built, but I think it was called AMC procedures - I will edit this post with pictures when I can)
Do you mean ACM, or is AMC specific to Australia?

I mainly ask because I don't see an option for Engine Noise Enhancement in the North American RS in any of the ACM modules, nor anything named AMC.

Now, I could be blind, so.. ¯\(ツ)

I'll post a few screenshots of what I do see, tomorrow. I would love to disable this, ideally through Forscan; something about disabling it through software feels better, dunno.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Do you mean ACM, or is AMC specific to Australia?

I mainly ask because I don't see an option for Engine Noise Enhancement in the North American RS in any of the ACM modules, nor anything named AMC.

Now, I could be blind, so.. ¯\(ツ)

I'll post a few screenshots of what I do see, tomorrow. I would love to disable this, ideally through Forscan; something about disabling it through software feels better, dunno.
AFAIK, We don't have the FENG stuff in the boot, in Australia, so who knows what the OP is on about........?

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
We may not have a subwoofer or Feng in the boot but we sure do have Feng being generated through the head unit.
You will notice the difference when you switch it off.
If you don't believe...I don't really care. Enjoy your fake engine noise

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Now now, calm down! It's not something I've noticed in the car, probably can't hear it over my custom exhaust. And thought it was only generated by the gear in the boot that we don't have..

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I'll need to test this. I'm a weirdo that actually drives around ALL the time in All my cars without any audio entertainment at all. Weird I know. I don't know whats wrong with me. Maybe it's years as a motorcycle rider, not sure.

Phil

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I'll need to test this. I'm a weirdo that actually drives around ALL the time in All my cars without any audio entertainment at all. Weird I know. I don't know whats wrong with me. Maybe it's years as a motorcycle rider, not sure.

Phil
Interested to hear your findings......

·
Registered
551 Posts
Now now, calm down! It's not something I've noticed in the car, probably can't hear it over my custom exhaust. And thought it was only generated by the gear in the boot that we don't have..
I am calm.
You probably won't notice it as much now that you have installed a louder exhaust.
I was quite surprised by how much difference it made and how quiet the car was when it was disabled. That quiet that I went and installed a cat back exhaust not long afterwards.
I did it the only way I knew at the time that I found in another forum. That was by snipping two wires on the back of our head unit. I have them going through a double pole switch. It's always off.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
It's a wee hot here in Portland today, so I'm holding off on discovery and testing efforts this until the weekend, when I can get out in the morning while it's nice n' cool.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Hokay so, I sat in the garage and took a few screenshots. On my North American '16 LHD RS, in Service Procedures (aka the Spanner icon as OP mentioned) there's nothing to do w/ the ACM except for a module reset procedure. In the (module) Configuration and Programming section, the only option I have is "ACM" for a module name and "Module configuration" in the "Name" (aka Description) column.

Going into the ACM "Module configuration", there's actually nothing listed. Not sure what's up with that. Forscan sees the ACM, there aren't any errors in the log, there aren't any DTCs associated with it, and all things Sync work just fine. I did update to Sync 3.4 using Cyan Labs's offerings, but that's never caused an issue and should be modifying the APIM (maybe the ACM, too?). All things Sync just work.

Update (Jul. 30 @ 5:32 PM): Took a few more screenshots showing successful finding of ACM, no DTCs, and current ACM module configuration.

Anyone else see anything different in the Configuration and Programming section of Forscan and if so, mind posting a screen shot?

@GFRS - can you post a screenshot of what your ACM module configuration page looks like?

Here's what I'm seeing:

Service Procedures 1 of 2:
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Service Procedures 2 of 2 (only difference is I had to scroll one more line down to reveal the bottom of the list and the IPC "module reset" procedure):
Rectangle Parallel Font Screenshot Operating system

Configuration and Programming section and list of modules:
Blue Rectangle Line Font Parallel

And the blank ACM module configuration page:
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Technology

Forscan finds the ACM module:
Azure Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

No DTCs in the ACM
(yeah there's one in the APIM due to the Sync update.. had it for years now, still have it after updating again a week ago):
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Pattern

Current ACM module configuration/calibration:
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Pattern

Attachments

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Old Forscan thread to the rescue - will try this tomorrow:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts