Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
You don't need to remove the caliper.

Remove centre brace nut. Tap out centre brace. Tap out both pins. Remove pads.

·
Registered
757 Posts
What's used to free up the pistons?
I use a c-clamp on the tabs that the pins go through. Put a cloth on the caliper tab so that the clamp doesn’t scratch the paint. Then turn the clamp a few times and that should compress the piston enough so you can slide the old pad out and the new one in.

·
Registered
2017, Mk3 Focus RS. Stock, for now!
14 Posts
I use a c-clamp on the tabs that the pins go through. Put a cloth on the caliper tab so that the clamp doesn’t scratch the paint. Then turn the clamp a few times and that should compress the piston enough so you can slide the old pad out and the new one in.
Have any pictures by any chance? I was concerned about putting uneven pressure on the pistons but sounds like you solved it, but struggling to visualise sorry haha

·
Registered
2017, Mk3 Focus RS. Stock, for now!
14 Posts
Get yourself a brake pad spreader. They are cheap and make life easier.

I have one like this
Amazon.com: DASBET Disc Brake Pad Installation Spreader Caliper Piston Spreader Tool: Automotive
but there are many different kinds.
Get yourself a brake pad spreader. They are cheap and make life easier.

I have one like this
Amazon.com: DASBET Disc Brake Pad Installation Spreader Caliper Piston Spreader Tool: Automotive
but there are many different kinds.
Thanks. Does that fit in even when doing pads without removing caliper?

·
Registered
79 Posts
They will fit against the pad backing plate and pad material to get them started. Which is why I use the spreaders with two plates instead of one.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Have any pictures by any chance? I was concerned about putting uneven pressure on the pistons but sounds like you solved it, but struggling to visualise sorry haha
Sure you could also get a dedicated tool. I have the dedicated piston compressor for the rear but I decided the c-clamp works well enough for the front. I was also worried about squeezing just the side of the pad, but it works in practice since the pad is wedged in there and can’t really move crooked.

I borrowed this pic to show what I mean. Red dots are the places where c-clamp contacts the tabs (on caliper and pad.) Leave the pad in while compressing the piston. Also leave the opposite pad in so those pistons can’t protrude while you compress the one. You may have to squeeze both the top and bottom tabs in order to compress the top and bottom pistons, but once you do, the pistons should be compressed enough that you can slide out the old pad and slide in a new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
tbh I've never liked any of the pad spreading tools. I just use a piece of metal and use my fingers lol

·
Registered
757 Posts
Does anyone know the parts number for the cross bolt? And the screw in the back?
And consequently will there fit at this link?

I was tightening the bolt and it snapped. Only 20lbs even. Idk what happened.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts