Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Great video. I will be doing my rotors pretty soon and this was very helpful.

Couple tricks I do when I do my pads:
-I actually don't even bother taking off the calipers when doing the fronts, I just turn the wheel out to full lock and I have plenty or room to work with
-The center/middle pin on the front brembos can sometimes be hard to take off. I usually undo the bolt partway and take a rubber mallet to tap it out by hitting the bolt.
-When compressing the rear pistons, I try to turn the tool back and forth a little to keep the rubber piston boots from twisting (not sure if its important not too, but I just rather keep them straight, I noticed yours were all twisted in the end there).

It would've been great if you added bleeding to your video, would've made it pretty much a complete brake job DIY.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Great video. I will be doing my rotors pretty soon and this was very helpful.

Couple tricks I do when I do my pads:
-I actually don't even bother taking off the calipers when doing the fronts, I just turn the wheel out to full lock and I have plenty or room to work with
-The center/middle pin on the front brembos can sometimes be hard to take off. I usually undo the bolt partway and take a rubber mallet to tap it out by hitting the bolt.
-When compressing the rear pistons, I try to turn the tool back and forth a little to keep the rubber piston boots from twisting (not sure if its important not too, but I just rather keep them straight, I noticed yours were all twisted in the end there).

It would've been great if you added bleeding to your video, would've made it pretty much a complete brake job DIY.

Thanks!
Very good tips! Especially the one about the rear piston boot. I've never liked how that gets twisted up.

I have to take the front calipers off to get my tool in there to compress the pistons. So I don't bother even trying to get the pads out while the caliper is still on. Actually, I tried to show you can do that in the video but the pads wouldn't come out.

I'll have to get @MorningZ to help me make a brake fluid flush video. He has a great pump bottle and a trick custom cap for the reservoir.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I have to take the front calipers off to get my tool in there to compress the pistons. So I don't bother even trying to get the pads out while the caliper is still on. Actually, I tried to show you can do that in the video but the pads wouldn't come out.
Ya, I just use my hands and press against the pads to compress the pistons.

·
Premium Member
1,801 Posts
Ya, I just use my hands and press against the pads to compress the pistons.
I have the fancy tool in the video as well, but pushing it by hand has just been easier. I just put my track pads on two nights ago, took 20-30 mins total

Funny you mentioned the use-the-bolt thing, I had put that as a comment on the YouTube video a bit ago. It’s a great trick rather than fighting it

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Funny you mentioned the use-the-bolt thing, I had put that as a comment on the YouTube video a bit ago. It’s a great trick rather than fighting it
Ya, I was actually surprised his came out so easily on the video, but they didn't look encrusted in brake dust like mine usually are either lol.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, I was actually surprised his came out so easily on the video, but they didn't look encrusted in brake dust like mine usually are either lol.
Yeah, I've never had that problem. I've been using the Mountune street pads for a long time and they make very little dust. It had been over four weeks since I cleaned the calipers when I filmed the video. And they were still almost spotless.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Yeah, I've never had that problem. I've been using the Mountune street pads for a long time and they make very little dust. It had been over four weeks since I cleaned the calipers when I filmed the video. And they were still almost spotless.
That's good to hear, my set is going on this weekend. The stock pads put out an unbelievable amount of dust.... Already watched you vid in prep for the work.

Reactions: SurfCfl

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
It says currently unavailable. Everywhere I check seems to say the same thing.
Do you not have a regular flat headed punch? That's what I plan to use tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Yikes re spraying the break cleaner all over the calipers. No worries about damaging the paint on them?
I don't believe there is anything in brake cleaner that will touch the caliper paint, especially the new 'environment friendly' crap that's being sold. It's the brake fluid you have to watch out for. That is guaranteed to eat through any paint you don't rinse it off of immediately.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Do you not have a regular flat headed punch? That's what I plan to use tomorrow.
The dimple headed punch is nice because it won’t slip off as easily and damage the paint. I found this “nail setting tool” at Home Depot near the punches and hammers. Cost $2.50. Just make sure you get the 2/32” head or larger since the dimple barely fits over the point on the caliper pin.

Btw thanks to @SurfCfl for this video. Made the change super easy.

·
Registered
239 Posts
For the rear brakes: If I was swapping the rotors too are the bolts that hold the bracket to the hub hard to reach with stock suspension? And how much clearance between the bolt and the RSB can I expect for the lower allen bolt?

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
For the rear brakes: If I was swapping the rotors too are the bolts that hold the bracket to the hub hard to reach with stock suspension? And how much clearance between the bolt and the RSB can I expect for the lower allen bolt?
Going by memory, I don't think the rear brake bracket bolts are that difficult to access. Have a look at the video below, even though it's the ST brakes, it is the same as ours.

There is about 1" or so clearance between the bottom allen head slider bolt and the RSB, just enough for the tip of an allen key to get in, but you start losing that clearance as the bolt backs out.

·
Registered
2017, Mk3 Focus RS. Stock, for now!
14 Posts
Is there a video anywhere on changing pads without removing the caliper? I thought the pads just slide out?

Anyone know if there's a ford dealership manual somewhere ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts