Ford Focus RS Forum banner

221 - 230 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,231 Posts
The connector housing or the pins? Because the connector housing on the old one is smaller. Has 2 less pins, like the escape.
Ah. I was going to go after the connector housing that plugs into the mirror. So other Focus models have a different connector than the RS? What about the ST? Are they different between pre- and post-face lift?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Ah. I was going to go after the connector housing that plugs into the mirror. So other Focus models have a different connector than the RS? What about the ST? Are they different between pre- and post-face lift?
I would assume that all mk3/3.5 foci use the same connector for mirror, but i've never opened one up to check

Reactions: Si2RS

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
If the other car don't see you turn on your signal.... they are blind!!!!

Reactions: thomwithah

·
Registered
576 Posts
For the passenger side I took the mirror apart and made some slack in the wiring, then pulled the connector out enough to move the pins for the thermostat. Essentially, I moved the pins on the European mirror versus the OEM connector. My thought was this would let me, or a future owner, swap back the NADM mirrors, if desired, without the need to mess with any pins or wiring at all.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
This is what I am looking to do as well. Neither me, nor the future owner should have to research what I did to modify the car in order to get it back to stock. I want the original mirrors to be very easy to swap back on.

But how did you do it? I made the slack in the mirror and I am ready to repin my connector, but I notice you have Pins 1-10 populated and I only have Pins 1-8.
What am I missing, what pins need to be moved or added?

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
This is what I am looking to do as well. Neither me, nor the future owner should have to research what I did to modify the car in order to get it back to stock. I want the original mirrors to be very easy to swap back on.

But how did you do it? I made the slack in the mirror and I am ready to repin my connector, but I notice you have Pins 1-10 populated and I only have Pins 1-8.
It's been a little while since I've done this, so it's not fresh on my mind.

IIRC the passenger side may have had more pins than the driver's side (LHD). I had to add wires (between the door control module and original connecto6r for the mirrors) for each side, but only moved pins on the passenger side mirror. If anyone was going back to the original mirrors in the future the additional wires would be there, but unused, and because the pins on the mirror were swapped versus the connector it would be plug-n-play, save for the Forscan change.

Do your mirrors have just 8 pins on both sides, or perhaps it's just the driver's side with 8?

A way to think on it that may be helpful is to leave the original molex type connector pins in their original locations, then instead of moving pins on original connectors, moving them on the new mirrors. You still need to add pins to the original connectors, but the mirrors themselves shouldn't need new / additional pins (just some relocation).

Hopefully thinking it through this way helps you figure it out. If not, I could pull mine off quickly and take pictures of both mirrors's pin configurations and try to refresh my memory.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts

Sounds like you may have the wrong mirror. Can you take some pictures for us? Not just the wiring, but the bottom of the mirror as well.

·
Registered
576 Posts
IIRC the passenger side may have had more pins than the driver's side (LHD)...
...Do your mirrors have just 8 pins on both sides, or perhaps it's just the driver's side with 8?
You are exactly right, only the passenger side (LHD) has 10pins and the Driver's side has 8.

I had to add wires (between the door control module and original connecto6r for the mirrors) for each side, but only moved pins on the passenger side mirror.
OK, so I took apart a mirror that I didn't need to. That's fine, I'm used to doing more work than I need to. facepalm

The passenger side is pinned at positions 1-8 and 11-12. Pins 9-10 are empty. In your photo, the mirror is pinned at 1-10, and 11-12 are empty.
Is it just those last two pins that shift over? or are there other swaps to be made?
Did you use info from here to determine which ones move? comparison to the original mirrors? multimeter testing?

The goal is the match the mirror pins to the existing door harness, but how do I know which wires (other than P4 and P8) are supplying each signal so that I can properly place them?
Am I overcomplicating this?

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sounds like you may have the wrong mirror. Can you take some pictures for us? Not just the wiring, but the bottom of the mirror as well.
I think Thom’s answer (driver vs passenger) sorted this out but just in case, heres what I have.

Drivers mirror, partially disassembled for repinning, which as Thom mentioned my not be required for this side:

Passenger mirror:

Driver pins (as they come):

Passenger pins (as they come):

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
The passenger side is pinned at positions 1-8 and 11-12. Pins 9-10 are empty. In your photo, the mirror is pinned at 1-10, and 11-12 are empty.
Is it just those last two pins that shift over? or are there other swaps to be made?
Did you use info from here to determine which ones move? comparison to the original mirrors? multimeter testing?

The goal is the match the mirror pins to the existing door harness, but how do I know which wires (other than P4 and P8) are supplying each signal so that I can properly place them?
Am I overcomplicating this?
You may be over complicating it. You definitely made more work for yourself, but at least you got an opportunity to do a more thorough application of protective products.

I used the information here, information from my wiring diagrams book, and also cross referenced the wire colors on the original harness and the european one. I mostly used the wiring diagrams book to make sure I properly understood the pin #s as referenced. This book seems to reference USDM builds. (I'll attach pictures of the relavant connectors from the book.)

On the passenger side (NADM connector) you can see it says #9 and #10 are used for the ambient temperature sensor, but your #9 and #10 (EDM) mirror are empty while #11 and #12 are occupied.

Taking the pictures provided an opportunity to refresh my memory... I moved, on the mirror, the pin that would be #11 on the connector to #9 and the one that would be #12 to #10. Basically, I just moved them over two spaces each, or together from the occupied spaces to the empty ones.

It's helpful to keep in mind that the connector in my pictures from the wiring diagram is a mirror image of sorts of the mirror's connector, considering how they go together.

Don't feel bad about over complicating it. I was slow to do this modification because I was a bit apprehensive. I'm sure, like me, once you've done it successfully it'll all make sense and you could do it very quickly if ever needed in the future.

221 - 230 of 230 Posts