Ford Focus RS Forum banner

How old are you?

• Total voters
541 - 560 of 563 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Damn y’all are making me feel like a baby. I’m 27 but my days of partying have caught up to me already🧑🏻‍🦼
Naaaawwwww... 27-30 is about where you really start to get hangovers. By 35, a hard night partying means a lost day on the couch the next day.

Man, college was sure different. Crap, you could party until you saw quadruple, spin your way onto your dorm bed, get up 4 hours later for the 9 am ultimate frisbee tournament, puke, head out there and win!

·
Registered
125 Posts
@Hoonigan , keep taking care of yourself, dude. I didn't (you wouldn't know it to meet me), and I have to take a handful of pills every morning for the usual stuff, hypertension, cholesterol, etc.

@Barksie eat right and get daily exercise. Yeah yeah yeah, it's an old saw, but it's probably the best advice any young person can follow.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Naaaawwwww... 27-30 is about where you really start to get hangovers. By 35, a hard night partying means a lost day on the couch the next day.

Man, college was sure different. Crap, you could party until you saw quadruple, spin your way onto your dorm bed, get up 4 hours later for the 9 am ultimate frisbee tournament, puke, head out there and win!
Sometimes I look back at my high school days and wonder how I am still alive after all the alcohol I would consume in a night. Thing is I stopped drinking 3 months ago since I developed a stomach issue and ended up buying a bike which I ride for 10 miles everyday after work now. I forgot how great it was to not feel like sh*t waking up the next day lol. I wake up for work at 4:30 so I'm usually in bed by 8pm now. No more late nights for me

·
Registered
99 Posts
@Hoonigan , keep taking care of yourself, dude. I didn't (you wouldn't know it to meet me), and I have to take a handful of pills every morning for the usual stuff, hypertension, cholesterol, etc.

@Barksie eat right and get daily exercise. Yeah yeah yeah, it's an old saw, but it's probably the best advice any young person can follow.
How bout these apples... I’m 59, have never been a smoker or drinker. I’ve run marathons and half marathons all over the country. I eat VERY healthy. About 16 miles into the Chicago marathon in Oct of 2018 I started feeling really funny to the point where I had to slow way down just to finish. After the race I decided to take off about 6 months just to let my body heal up. July 4th of 2019 I ran my first race since Chicago and had a heart attack during the race. Yeah. Ironically there was no blockage but they later detected a spasm in my left main artery that was the culprit. I now take meds to keep the spasm in check. The RS is my therapy.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Yeah I bought the car when I was 24. 28 now. Idk why there are like 3 age threads updated in the past 24hrs tho 😂
Cause they same bloke posted basically the same thing in each thread....must be old age creeping up on him, he forgot!!

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
How bout these apples... I’m 59, have never been a smoker or drinker. I’ve run marathons and half marathons all over the country. I eat VERY healthy. About 16 miles into the Chicago marathon in Oct of 2018 I started feeling really funny to the point where I had to slow way down just to finish. After the race I decided to take off about 6 months just to let my body heal up. July 4th of 2019 I ran my first race since Chicago and had a heart attack during the race. Yeah. Ironically there was no blockage but they later detected a spasm in my left main artery that was the culprit. I now take meds to keep the spasm in check. The RS is my therapy.
Whoa...I’m glad you got through that!
Cause they same bloke posted basically the same thing in each thread....must be old age creeping up on him, he forgot!!
i‘ve actually forgotten in mid sentence....wait....what was the question?

·
Registered
664 Posts
No matter what you do something’s gonna get you. My advice is to drink a lot of cranberry juice and drive your RS fast.... but not in that order.
THIS. You can't beat genetics and/or bad luck. That's why I don't live a completely unhealthy lifestyle, but I don't go overboard like a lot of my fitness obsessed friends. It's about a healthy balance and enjoying life. You never know when your ride is gonna end! Glad you pulled through!

Reactions: GmpaJimj

·
Registered
125 Posts
Brother, I salute you! Vigorously!!

Glad you're with us to tell the story. Wish I could relate as beautiful a history, but my life has been very different. My wife of 29 years turned out to be an alcoholic, and this ravaged my family. Got all sorts of health problems, diabetes chief among them. I won't belabor it, but anyone else that's ever loved and alcoholic understands, both the dilemma, and the damage.

Funny thing is, God was good to me in other ways. You'd never know any of this to look at me. Hear about my life, my adventures (I have the thrill-seeker gene, used to Hang-glide, am a SCUBA instructor, single-track crazy off-road mountain biker, and on and on and on and on), look like I'm 35-40, not 58, etc. All the damage is internal, physically and mentally.

·
Registered
449 Posts
THIS. You can't beat genetics and/or bad luck. That's why I don't live a completely unhealthy lifestyle, but I don't go overboard like a lot of my fitness obsessed friends. It's about a healthy balance and enjoying life. You never know when your ride is gonna end! Glad you pulled through!
The human body is so amazing an so rubbish at the same time. One of my favorite (and dumbest) results of evolution is the recurrent laryngeal nerve. It runs from the larynx down under the aortic arch to connect back into the vagus nerve. That means it essentially runs the length of the neck twice. So for a giraffe, this is an unnecessary 5 meter detour. Now imagine a brontosaurus.

Doing things to improve health is great, but the benefits you really have to weight against opportunity cost. Take meat consumption for example. It's been estimated that eating red meat can increase your risk of colorectal cancer by up to 50%. But if the people communicating the research were responsible (bloggers) they would tell you that the lifetime risk of colorectal cancer for men is somewhere between 4-5%. So that means, if you ate a steak a day for 40 years, your risk of developing colorectal cancer is now a whopping, stratospheric... 6-7.5%.

Now there are great reasons to eat less meat (environmental, but we're in a car forum so I'll just go **** myself) but to avoid disease is a terrible one. In fact if you like meat, and you convinced yourself for health reasons to forego it, that's a lifetime of little bits of happiness you're missing out on, so in the grand scheme of things you've actually done yourself some mental harm, and achieved an overall worse outcome (as long as you didn't hit the jackpot, but that's coaching to the result).

What's my point with this wall of text? I don't know I just need to get into gear for med school apps and work on my rambling abilities.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i’m 20, bought the car used with 40000kms couple months ago. no payments! Study civil engineering and an a concrete finisher in the summer

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Brother, I salute you! Vigorously!!

Glad you're with us to tell the story. Wish I could relate as beautiful a history, but my life has been very different. My wife of 29 years turned out to be an alcoholic, and this ravaged my family. Got all sorts of health problems, diabetes chief among them. I won't belabor it, but anyone else that's ever loved and alcoholic understands, both the dilemma, and the damage.

Funny thing is, God was good to me in other ways. You'd never know any of this to look at me. Hear about my life, my adventures (I have the thrill-seeker gene, used to Hang-glide, am a SCUBA instructor, single-track crazy off-road mountain biker, and on and on and on and on), look like I'm 35-40, not 58, etc. All the damage is internal, physically and mentally.
Very interesting. I’m a Rock & Roller and all that implies. I’ve slowed down, compared to “the old days” I mention that, because my first wife, after 23 yrs., went out of control. Her idea of the food triangle was, Gin, narcotic pain pills & tobacco. Naturally it caused a rif. I know some of the pain you’ve had. She evicted my 8 yr. old daughter & myself for an insanely rich guy with the same habits.We actually lived in a garage for 6 mo.
My kid inherited my chill, Que, sere, sere personality, so we just made it a weird camping trip.
I met my now wife through motorcycle friends, many years ago. Her fam is big and adopted us. We’re multi racial. If there’s a flag for it, we’ve got one! All is well.
I‘m glad things went good for you too.

541 - 560 of 563 Posts