Ford Focus RS Forum banner

How long will you keep your RS

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm pretty torn on this. New tech will come out and i'll want if for sure. I hate fixing cars as they age... If i had the finances i would love to keep a car like this until it is an antique. I would just want to keep a current car in my garage as well. So assuming i wont have the fiances to keep it while buying the next greatest car. I don't think i will keep this car much longer than 3 years

·
Registered
669 Posts
The longest I have kept a car is 3 years. However I feel like the RS is different so at this stage as long as I still enjoy it, which hopefully will be a long time. Based on the reviews it has all the hallmarks of a future classic.

Also, manual cars are unfortunately going to keep getting rarer which makes this car even more special. This may be one of the last great performance cars, relatively speaking.

Maybe start a poll.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
4- ever.

·
5,586 Posts
10+ years
:)

By then we will see for sure hybrids electric motors become the norm without any exhaust sound.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I bought the car I currently drive (Audi A4) for two reasons.
First, because I wanted to experience German luxury and performance while I could still afford it before I have things like a family and a house to pay for. And secondly, I bought the Audi knowing that they depreciate at a much slower rate than most other cars, so after owning it for a couple years, I could sell it for a down payment to be used on a new car. In this case, I'm using my Audi money for the RS which will be the last new car I but for a while.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Probably at least 5 years. At least that's what I agreed upon with the wife...

See I have this problem, I tend to buy new cars every year. Much easier to do before the wife entered into the picture. :)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
before I got my st 3yrs ago I had my svt focus for 12 yrs. that car had a real soul, there was just something about it that kept me wanting to drive it again. when you keep a car that long you don't see them that often, and you know how special it is

·
Registered
218 Posts
I will transplant RS drivetrain to my kit car once the body/chassis worn out. 350PS on 1200lbs machine will leave Caterham7 620R in the dust :)

·
Super Moderator
15,513 Posts
Well, lets see. I finally got rid of my 93 LX 5.0 notch last year and picked up a 2015 FiST. (22 years)

I still have the Taxi cab powered 96 Mustang GT with 175K+ miles. (20 years)

Traded out a 2007 Focus SES for my 2013 FoST. (6 years)

The wife traded out a 2011 Mustang Premium for a 2012 MCA. (1 year)

I have a feeling I'll have this car for a little while.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
It's a keeper. New tech may come along but the RS is a game changer a bar which all future hot hatches will be measured. It's raves in the press have already established it as a car coveted by those who like to drive. That it's affordable and can nip at the heels of not surpass many other cars that cost much more makes it all the more appealing.

I look forward to showing up at a show in my RS 30 years from now.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Now that I'm 30, my taste in cars has evolved:

4 doors, check (I'm a dad)
hatch, check (sick of not being able to fit my rucksack in my current trunk)
AWD, check (damn snow)
turbo'd, check (tuning)
first RS ever released in NA, check (duh)

Gonna have this thing for a long time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I so wanted to click "buried with me" but the longest i have ever kept a car is 4 years (usually 1 year). I think this is different because its the car i always wished my golfs, minis, and speed3 were but they always fell short. My plan is to keep it forever and eventually have another DD. It is already a collector car after all! Probably the only thing that would change my mind would be repetitive mechanical issues.

By the way my wife would laugh at this post. 😛 She has seen my car addicyion first hand.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I see myself keeping RS for a long while, I will need to buy a truck within the next few years though, I expect I will simply be a 3 vehicle owner at that point, or possibly sell the Porshe.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Till the next RS comes out. :victorious: (should be a poll choice).

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fascinating. Based on how many people never plan on selling their RS it would appear I should easily be able to sell mine for $87,000.00 in 3 years since mine will be the only one one the market :) You do know this is legally binding poll right? You are now bound by law to have a hole dug for your RS, have your body thrown in the trunk, and the car put under a layer of fresh soil?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I've had my 67 Lincoln 26 years, my 84 Civic S for 18 years. I can say that I plan to keep the RS for a long time, but it will not be babied.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts