Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep playing with the idea of making a rallycross car out of mine but I'm worried it's past the age of easy racecar ability, so many sensors need to be happy. In my mind I would gut it, bucket seats, gravel coilovers, tiny brakes for 15" wheels (sounds like Fiesta ST brakes are a direct bolt up?), abs/brake booster delete and Bob's your uncle. I read things like "the exhaust valve isn't happy so no drift mode" and I worry the whole operation is going to be a pain, or maybe the aftermarket just isn't there. Someone with more experience with this car, send me some advice. Currently rallycrossing an 05 330i.

· Registered
2017 Black RS
1,046 Posts
Hah, yeah I'm not sure where that youtube came from, but I don't think you're being insulting. If you already have it and are determined to RX it, then check out the thread that @320icar is talking about. There's also a rally team on youtube that talks about how they prepped theirs.

· Registered
91 Posts
Hah, yeah I'm not sure where that youtube came from, but I don't think you're being insulting. If you already have it and are determined to RX it, then check out the thread that @320icar is talking about. There's also a rally team on youtube that talks about how they prepped theirs.
It was a response to the "meh" specifically, not his preference of the RS over a STi. Nothing more nothing less.

Hope the Lifting the RS thread gives the OP the answers to the suspension questions he will undoubtedly have.

· Registered
21 Posts
I took my car full racing on a circuit. The Algoa Motorsport Club Regional round 1 in South Africa. It was handicapped though so the slowest qualifier went first and then the aim was to overtake everyone in front of you after the officials delay your from starting with the time you are faster per lap multiplied by the amount of laps in a race. Overall I was about the 4/5th fastest with 3/4 more proper race cars faster than me. There was a built and stripped Honda Civic that was just insane and visibly miles ahead in performance than anyone there. Traffic makes things interesting though and how quick you mange to overtake when coming up to the slower car is usually where the race is won or so it was in my case since I managed to handle it quickly and get ahead. There was 3 races in the event, my placement was 1st, 3rd, and 2nd and I took the overall victory with around 5 seconds. A degree of beginners luck since I had a poor qualifying and needed to pull it together in the races which I luckily managed to do. In the pic below was the starting order for the second and third race. Click on the link above if you want to see the lap-times.

Wheel Land vehicle Car Sky Tire

· Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I took my car full racing on a circuit. The Algoa Motorsport Club Regional round 1 in South Africa. It was handicapped though so the slowest qualifier went first and then the aim was to overtake everyone in front of you after the officials delay your from starting with the time you are faster per lap multiplied by the amount of laps in a race. Overall I was about the 4/5th fastest with 3/4 more proper race cars faster than me. There was a built and stripped Honda Civic that was just insane and visibly miles ahead in performance than anyone there. Traffic makes things interesting though and how quick you mange to overtake when coming up to the slower car is usually where the race is won or so it was in my case since I managed to handle it quickly and get ahead. There was 3 races in the event, my placement was 1st, 3rd, and 2nd and I took the overall victory with around 5 seconds. A degree of beginners luck since I had a poor qualifying and needed to pull it together in the races which I luckily managed to do. In the pic below was the starting order for the second and third race. Click on the link above if you want to see the lap-times.

View attachment 361429
so with this positioning strategy...you could just sand-bag in the qualifying...to ensure front placement. then blow everyone's doors off :LOL:

· Premium Member
3,870 Posts
so with this positioning strategy...you could just sand-bag in the qualifying...to ensure front placement. then blow everyone's doors off :LOL:
If I were running timing at that event I would have a record of your previous best times and weigh that in if your qualifying times look like you're sandbagging.

Reactions: anro

· Registered
21 Posts
The class is called Street & Fine. The fine comes in when you break out of a certain improvement percentage window in the race. If I recall correctly is was 5%, so you are only allowed to go 5% faster in a race than in qualifying. I improved my time from ~1:19 to ~1:16.
It was the most fun I've had in/on a motorised vehicle.

· Registered
21 Posts
If I were running timing at that event I would have a record of your previous best times and weigh that in if your qualifying times look like you're sandbagging.
The marshals were on it though, from the second race they had me starting together with the racing Volvo 850. This same Volvo bumped into my right rear rim on the last corner of the last race to keep himself from going off the track. Thank goodness it was not that serious and I could just paint all my rims black to solve the problem..
But it just shows that they had the field spread out perfectly after the first race, but the damage was done since I won the first race with 7 seconds. So if that was not beginners luck I do not know what is.

· Premium Member
1,825 Posts
This same Volvo bumped into my right rear rim on the last corner of the last race to keep himself from going off the track. Thank goodness it was not that serious and I could just paint all my rims black to solve the problem..
I would have flipped out on him. no reason anyone should be that close at the track.

· Premium Member
3,870 Posts
The marshals were on it though, from the second race they had me starting together with the racing Volvo 850. This same Volvo bumped into my right rear rim on the last corner of the last race to keep himself from going off the track. Thank goodness it was not that serious and I could just paint all my rims black to solve the problem..
But it just shows that they had the field spread out perfectly after the first race, but the damage was done since I won the first race with 7 seconds. So if that was not beginners luck I do not know what is.
Or, you were not in on the "gentleman's agreement" to sandbag the first race so that the new guy gets moved back during the following races. :LOL:

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yepp. Taken years off my rs’s life. Just look through the thread.

View attachment 361425
Thanks for the read. Glad to hear Yellow could get you sorted, that's what I'm running on my BMW right now. Bummer it didn't really work out though. I hear you on not trying it, minimal aftermarket support is pretty tiring. The E46 doesn't have the rally support the E36 has, and even that is lacking.

· Registered
71 Posts
I keep playing with the idea of making a rallycross car out of mine but I'm worried it's past the age of easy racecar ability, so many sensors need to be happy. In my mind I would gut it, bucket seats, gravel coilovers, tiny brakes for 15" wheels (sounds like Fiesta ST brakes are a direct bolt up?), abs/brake booster delete and Bob's your uncle. I read things like "the exhaust valve isn't happy so no drift mode" and I worry the whole operation is going to be a pain, or maybe the aftermarket just isn't there. Someone with more experience with this car, send me some advice. Currently rallycrossing an 05 330i.
What organization runs your local rallycrosses? What is their classing structure? This is step 1

Gutting your car, etc can quickly put you in a class where you have no chance of being competitive. IIRC there have been FoRS's that have been successful in SCCA's "stock" class. Check the results here

Stock AWD was won by an RC350 last year :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.