Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oh boy, where do I begin. I just want to say, I still love this car. I'm pretty strictly utilitarian, aside from how the car looks, but that attitude helps a lot when being asked to love the car.

Performance:
Honestly, this is still the part that I'm happiest about. I get jealous of the Civic Type R from time to time. I wish Ford engineers were as skilled as Honda engineers. But ignoring the Type R, you'd have to spend a considerable amount of money to get anything more well rounded than the RS. Especially if you want something faster around corners or in a straight line. The car just gives so much confidence, still to this day. I mean.. I've learned to trust it enough that I just drive everywhere like I'm on a race track.

Speed limits here are high (50 mph even on back roads) and the roads are very smooth. So any turn I take will be on the edge of grip. The amount of Gs I can pull through some of these cambered turns is enough to make my face feel like its going to peel off. And then I audibly exclaim "This is a freaking hatch back!" Seriously the amount of mostly safe fun I have in this car is unbelievable and I really don't think you can surpass it in AWD form without grabbing an Audi R8 or something of that caliber.

Practicality:
The amount of things I've moved in this car is hilarious. I moved my entire old apartment in it, and fit an 80 inch IKEA bed, 65 inch TV, and more. Turns out it takes 8 RSs to move my apartment (an entirely useless metric I know). I'm always surprised how much stuff I can fit. My fiance recently moved in and she had her brother take off of work to help move her stuff with his SUV and my car, and I literally fit everything she was going to bring in the RS. Like 10 boxes, two suit cases, ton of clothes, bins, etc. Its insane.

Styling
I still do double takes when I walk away from the car after parking it. I know this is entirely subjective but how the car looks has not gotten old yet. I really love the paint and the front grill, and when its freshly cleaned/waxed its like seeing it for the first time again. I don't think it will ever get old. And honestly, I'm looking forward to it being a bit banged up from 10+ years of use. One day itll be old and rugged, and I'll be okay with that transition too.

And now..

THE CONS

Cost
Its a Ford. And can I just say... **** Ford. The one thing that I absolutely loathe about this car, is that Ford made it. Why? Here's a few reasons:

base cost to get in it, I believe mine was ~42,000 (2016 RS2 package with options)

1 year wait ended up costing me some money on waiting to sell my current car
1) (warranty) $100 |A month after owning the car I needed to get a seat bolt/anchor thing replaced (covered by warranty) because it broke. Yes, my seat came off while I was driving around a corner. The seat.
2) (warranty) > $7,000 + Rental car for 3 weeks ($1500) |Head gasket shenanigans. How do you put the wrong head gasket on a car. My cylinder head was warped and needed replacing as well.
3) (warranty) $90 |Rear driver's side door weather stripping just fell off. The weather stripping. I've opened that door like... maybe 6 times since I've owned it and I live in California.
4) (warranty) $75 |TPMS sensor failure
5) (warranty) $180 |passenger side window motor failure
6) (warranty) $80 |some hoses in the engine bay? Weird vacuum noise I dunno they replaced them and now its fine

(#NotFordsFault on these ones but I'm including it because of cost of repairing)
7) (insurance) ~$27,000 + 5 months of rental car ($4500)| Some kid blew a stop light at low speed (around 15 mph) and hit me on the driver's side basically head on. They just needed to do cosmetic work on the front of the car + intercooler, no airbags deployed.
8) (own pocket) $800 |for new brake pads. Yikes. I'd do it myself but.. no place to do it around here. Apartment living yo.
9) (own pocket) $90 |Oil changes. Kinda pricey.
10) (own pocket) Insurance premium $511/6mo. This doesn't bother me at all actually, its way lower than what I was paying when I was a kid.

In total, Though I've only spent $42,000 on this car, close to ~$82,000 has gone into it and in its life, close to 6 months have been spent in the shop.

Still, the quality of components and build quality of the superficial stuff is just awful. You can tell that Ford really cut corners hard to get this thing out and they deserve every bit of trouble they're going through right now (having to pretty much pull out of America because noone is buying their crap). All I'm saying is, premium Japanese cars don't have this problem. I really really want this car to last me 10+ years but, its a Ford so that's probably wishful thinking.

In addition to those costs, I have a feeling that after the warranty runs out it will be costly to maintain. Its certainly a pretty penny to go to the track what with tires (around $1300) and brake pads and oil.

Conclusion
I'm still really happy though. She's costly, and she's a fatty, and she's thirsty as hell, but I feel like she earns it. And I still can't think of any other car that I'd rather have. I keep looking for new cars coming out and every one so far has been lower performance for more money, or you sacrifice practicality, or cost. Nothing comes close. I'm glad I got one :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
LOL great post!

Gotta agree on the quality issues. Mine spent it's fair share of time in the shop also, and is one of the reasons I just sold it.

Have to ask if this is a typo though - you spent $27,000 for insurance for 2.5 years????

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
LOL great post!

Gotta agree on the quality issues. Mine spent it's fair share of time in the shop also, and is one of the reasons I just sold it.

Have to ask if this is a typo though - you spent $27,000 for insurance for 2.5 years????
My guess was that that was what the repair bill ended up being for the other person's insurance... but it sounds high still

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL great post!

Haha Oh, I didn't even put the cost of insurance! That was the cost to fix the damage that the kid did to the car when he hit it. I put "(insurance)" like that to indicate that insurance paid for it, not me haha. I was told that had the air bags deployed they would have totaled it. But yep, his insurance paid $27,000.

I'll add my insurance premium to the list

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Nice Post.

I am happy with my RS as well. I don't think I'll be happy with the CTR. I would probably pick-up an STI (or even an 2nd hand Evo) before i pick up one of those.

Dealers in San Diego put too much on top of the MSRP for an CTR. For that Price range it better be an AWD.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This is exactly what I feel about owning my RS. I would love for the RS to be as capable as the Type R in terms of overall performance but Ford Performance can only do so much. So far it's been a pretty fun car after owning it for a year.

Also, since you're in Irvine, I have a feeling I might have seen you before :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
You are spot on. I am gentleman "of size" (or fatty, whichever you prefer) so I would add that my drivers seat is a bit shot. 42,000 miles on it so far and I would like to see 100,000! I got a half cord of firewood home in mine, it wasn't terrible but it wasn't happy :neglected:

·
5,582 Posts
Great post.
I for the first 2 years pre-HG found the car was average.
Now Post-HG repairs the car is insanely fun.

Period.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Epic post and cannot disagree with any of the points made; they all stack up broadly to my own experience. Still don’t see any car on the road that I would want more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
"I get jealous of the Civic Type R from time to time. I wish Ford engineers were as skilled as Honda engineers"
why?...any how life is short just dump the RS and get one...you're in Cali due you really need AWD...go get your CTR

·
Registered
429 Posts
All I can say is the car is exactly what I thought it would be. I like it so much I bought two. No complaints with either one. Performance per dollar there isn't anything that comes close. Period.
I thought of getting another one myself. The car is amazing and there's really nothing out there that can touch it for the money. AWD in the winter snow = WIN, try that in a CTR and you get under steer for days.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
I thought of getting another one myself. The car is amazing and there's really nothing out there that can touch it for the money. AWD in the winter snow = WIN, try that in a CTR and you get under steer for days.
I had a civic before, done lots of mods on it. Given its nothing like the new CTR.

Went to an Evo.... then another Evo...... then to the RS.

I can't see myself dumping the same amount of $$$ or more w/o having AWD. Force of habit I guess.

I lived in MN and OR before, kind of hard to brake that AWD trend now.

·
Registered
158 Posts
"I get jealous of the Civic Type R from time to time. I wish Ford engineers were as skilled as Honda engineers"
why?...any how life is short just dump the RS and get one...you're in Cali due you really need AWD...go get your CTR
I don't wanna speak for OP but I think the point he was trying to make is objectively the CTR is a better car (stock). Fact is they pretty much poop on the RS on track outside of the quarter, even then they can run an RS down.

Honda made a car that is lighter, corners better, has faster lap times, and makes advertised WHP. I still wouldn't trade my RS for one, but im also not in denial.

The only problem he mentioned with his RS that I haven't had was the weather stripping. Car has quality issues but I still love it and if I had to do it again I would buy the exact same car.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
I don't wanna speak for OP but I think the point he was trying to make is objectively the CTR is a better car (stock). Fact is they pretty much poop on the RS on track outside of the quarter, even then they can run an RS down.

Honda made a car that is lighter, corners better, has faster lap times, and makes advertised WHP. I still wouldn't trade my RS for one, but im also not in denial.

The only problem he mentioned with his RS that I haven't had was the weather stripping. Car has quality issues but I still love it and if I had to do it again I would buy the exact same car.
Can't say I agree. The new civic can't even hold a candle to this.
crx2.jpg

It's 30 yrs old now and yea it isn't stock. (B16A1,forged internals, Full Race Turbo, Tein Suspension ,Greddy exhaust and a bunch of other good stuff) but it will blow the doors off a new CTR. I waited forever for Honda to bring the CTR to the USA. (not quite as long as the RS) and when it finally got here it was so far away from what I had hoped it would be.(looks like it was designed by a 5 yr old. Total styling joke. I wouldn't even consider one). I can tell you for sure overall the RS is a better car. :cool:

·
Registered
582 Posts

Can't say I agree. The new civic can't even hold a candle to this.
View attachment 328524

It's 30 yrs old now and yea it isn't stock. (B16A1,forged internals, Full Race Turbo, Tein Suspension ,Greddy exhaust and a bunch of other good stuff) but it will blow the doors off a new CTR. I waited forever for Honda to bring the CTR to the USA. (not quite as long as the RS) and when it finally got here it was so far away from what I had hoped it would be.(looks like it was designed by a 5 yr old. Total styling joke. I wouldn't even consider one). I can tell you for sure overall the RS is a better car.
That is a beautifully fun toy you have there. I sign the F off on that all day. Sik

Honda and Toyota have both lost the vision which defined them.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

I'm not a tracker...0-60 and quarter RS wins...rain/snow RS wins...looks RS wins..whos in denial...Hey I like the CTR if it was AWD and refreshed to look better I might consider one....

·
Registered
497 Posts
I really like the Tupe R but I would cringe every time I had to look at it from behind. Ugh for me the biggest drawback of Eve car is that when it starts raining, or snowing, all those fantastic handling characteristics account for nothing. Push it in the track in the wet and you will have to pull over to let the RS past or end up in the kitty litter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 37 Posts