Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I consider myself to be a pretty decent driver, but I have no problem in admitting I am a complete novice at drifting, only having done it accidentally and never looking like a pro (read: spinning out like a noob). I have never actually gone out and attempted to learn to drift, but its something I am really looking forward to trying out in the RS.

I am curious as to what better drivers, who have a grasp on what drifting takes, think of this system and drive mode. Obviously this question is a bit premature and will be held to speculation without any of us having actually been behind the wheel with it, but my mind is constantly running anyways, why not have the hamster wheel turning on something fun instead of something like "shorts or pants, its not too cold, but it could get colder when the sun goes down, cold, ice cream sounds good..."

So, will it be a button where someone who has never drifted before can press it and be sideways, or will it just enhance a skill set that needs to previously be in place?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I expect that if you find a level, clear area the drift mode should be very easy to use. It will take some cojones at first to get into a drift and hold it, because for most people it is a very foreign feeling, like OMG I'm going to lose control. Those of us that grew up driving on snow should have an easier transition. This car will make it easy and will not let you get overly sideways - it will start pulling back if you over-rotate. Should be a blast, if you can put aside the feeling that you are literally making money go up in smoke!

I plan to play with mine once the original tires are shot, just before I replace them.

Jim

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I expect that if you find a level, clear area the drift mode should be very easy to use. It will take some cojones at first to get into a drift and hold it, because for most people it is a very foreign feeling, like OMG I'm going to lose control. Those of us that grew up driving on snow should have an easier transition. This car will make it easy and will not let you get overly sideways - it will start pulling back if you over-rotate. Should be a blast, if you can put aside the feeling that you are literally making money go up in smoke!

I plan to play with mine once the original tires are shot, just before I replace them.

Jim
hmmm, very interesting point about growing up driving in snow, that's me for sure and I completely forgot about those kinds of slides... Once again it wasn't purposeful, but if that's the feeling I'm glad it's not going to be as foreign as I antipicated.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Yes, if you have driven in snow drifting will be relatively easy to learn; mainly rear drive bias. However, "drifting" is more of a sales gimmick, because it is definitively not the fastest way through a road course.

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
257 Posts
makes me wonder how many will be crashed drifting
They might want to keep alot of rear end components in stock at the dealers for the guys coming in who slid it into a curb!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm curious as to how the system will handle all the abuse with respect to the car's balance, but most of the drift cars I've seen are solid RWD cars. Tire destroyers... But fun to watch on occasion. To 'drift' an AWD car, you will be going fast. That's the dangerous part if you don't know the car's limits and behaviors.

·
Registered
878 Posts
_Stopping_ the drift, before you hit that curb/tree/ditch/etc., nor spinning out, now that will be the skill to demonstrate your mastery of.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
You will still have to " ham fist " it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Definitely will be easier Than a rwd car in that the awd will still pull you back into line. As mentioned above though, you may need to be going a lot faster to initiate the slide in the first place. I plan to try mine out at a skid pan first until I am comfortable with the car.

·
5,582 Posts
Will Ford have drift lesson training?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have no doubt there will be a few that are damaged in suburban bravado, by collecting a parked car, oncoming car, white post on the side of a road, or telegraph pole. Or, not damaged but catching the attention of the police when least wanted or expected. Things can go terribly wrong very quickly and I don't want to take the unnecessary risk. Just happy to put it in sport mode, windows down and listen to the pops and burbles............

·
Registered
716 Posts
If you have an open parking lot I dont think it will be that hard to do relativity uncontrolled drifts. Doughnuts should be easy and maybe trail braking to initiate some low speed drift shouldn't be too bad.

However, I think taking it to a track and being able to drift the track will be very difficult.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I consider myself to be a pretty decent driver, but I have no problem in admitting I am a complete novice at drifting, only having done it accidentally and never looking like a pro (read: spinning out like a noob). I have never actually gone out and attempted to learn to drift, but its something I am really looking forward to trying out in the RS.

I am curious as to what better drivers, who have a grasp on what drifting takes, think of this system and drive mode. Obviously this question is a bit premature and will be held to speculation without any of us having actually been behind the wheel with it, but my mind is constantly running anyways, why not have the hamster wheel turning on something fun instead of something like "shorts or pants, its not too cold, but it could get colder when the sun goes down, cold, ice cream sounds good..."

So, will it be a button where someone who has never drifted before can press it and be sideways, or will it just enhance a skill set that needs to previously be in place?
Same boat here man. Never been in an accident and I consider myself an all around decent driver. But outside of a snow covered parking lot or deserted roundabout late at night I can say I'm a drift noob! My plan is to sample out the drift mode towards the end of the OE tires' life as others have mentioned. I'll find an open parking lot/autocross lot and ease my way into it. During the winter though, I plan to sample the drift mode whenever I can find space as I can start at slow speeds and develop a feel for the car and its limits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The best thing you can do is take it to your local Autocross meeting and experiment like that. As stated above, it won't be the fastest way to get around, but it will put you in a controlled environment where you'll be experiencing all kinds of twists and turns and the worst thing you'll do is kill some rubber cones.

·
Registered
191 Posts
From someone who has taken these courses driving a 240, drifting in the RS will be simple (to initiate). You will roast tires on pavement...no avoiding that. Learning to drift properly in an open parking lot is key. You must be able to perform figure 8's before even attempting to leave the parking lot. All figure 8's... Especially a higher speed 2nd gear into a 1st gear figure 8. I practice in parking lots and on a canyon road near my house in the snow. Let me tell you what, I have hit curbs and misjudged pitches. What do I mean? Drifting in a parking lot is one thing, drifting on a road, you need to pay attention to the slope and camber of the road. Are you uphill or downhill?

With that said, (IN A PARKING LOT and with traction control off) here is my practice routine every time it snows (Snow will help save the tires, if you have no snow...go buy cheap 18" wheels and the cheapest rear tires you can find. no joke....$40 knock off specials). Start with a 2 cones spaced about 30 ft apart. Pull up to one of the cones. Have it even with your left shoulder. Crank the wheels to the left. Push in the clutch, rev the car to mid-pt and drop the clutch. The car will instantly lose traction (yes...even in an Audi on snow :). Start by doing doughnuts around the cone. Modulate with the gas pedal. You have mastered this once you are not turning the wheel left anymore, but actually have the wheels turned right to maintain the drift.

Step 2 is the figure 8. This is key to linking turns during a drift. Start by doing the doughnuts, as you come around 3/4 of the way, let off on the gas and the ass-end of the car will swing around. If you are not smooth, or the deceleration is too quick, the car will spin out of control. If you do it right, you will be back on the gas and controlling the car with the pedal and continue the drift in the opposite direction around the 2nd cone.

There is much more you need to learn, but this is a start. After this, you need to learn to drive into the drift at speed and in different ways. --counter steer (Scandinavian flick), e-brake, drift mode, clutch kicks dont do much on an AWD, and simple throttle. If you have any question, feel free to PM me.

I'll tell you what....it took a lot of practice in a parking lot and sacking up to finally link just two turns in a full drift up the canyon road by my house. I go at night so I can see headlights. I'm curious about drift mode. Playing around and if I want to initiate a fun slide, drift mode all the way. If I'm rallying up the canyon in the snow, I think I would rather have it in sport mode (30/70) and drive more like my Audi. Cant wait to try it! I hope I get the RS before the snow stops flying.

Remember to stay light on the steering wheel in the drift. Let the wheel work through your hands, not the other way around.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm an expert at drifting.... in Need for Speed. I crash into a lot of police cars. I don't want to do that IRL.

·
Registered
262 Posts
...go buy cheap 18" wheels and the cheapest rear tires you can find. no joke....$40 knock off specials...
This is probably the wrong thread for this question, but what's the best way to swap tires at home? Should I find a second set of rims as well?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I know how to play on dirt with Left Foot braking, not sure how the RS will react but the ST sometimes cuts my power. The best advice is eyes up and look where you want to go not where you are going. With an AWD vehicle depending on the balance it can be very easy to induce a drift with throttle lift off alone, then you would maintain with throttle, brake and steering. I really think it is going to be a case of, set to drift mode, and load up the suspension, then mash the gas, counter-steer and just use the throttle to modulate.

I personally most likely won't even use drift mode. When it comes to the winter months and snow covered roads, I will most likely keep it in track, soften the suspension and shut everything off. The drift mode is made to induce drifts and in the snow, I want traction with a slight tail happy balance. The problem is we have no idea how the RS drives in any mode, and going of the ST Ford knows how to set up the Focus to play. I'm sure it will oversteer in any mode and progress as you go through normal, sport, track then drift.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
19 Participants
Nitro
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing